Cellphone Distributors...en la capital.

htdomn

Oct 26, 2004
www.idealcell.com
How is everyone, my question is what are the ins-and outs of cellphone distribution around santo domingo and maybe even santiago. I will be taking a trip in MID-MARCH to check out the market and see if it is wise to start a web based distribution company for the local dominican market.

Details....

I will be able to get almost every phone in the US market. Used or new, both GSM and CDMA networks. I understand the customs issue but that would be my last priority, so please do not discourage my idea with this issue. If all goes well with the web what are the pros-cons of a warehouse where dealers can just come and pick up phones?

Also for the DR residents what are the average price for camera phones (i.e. sanyo 8100, 8200, 5500..audiovox 8900... or slider phones...kyo se44.)

any input would be appreciated. thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Already a lot of places selling phones, especially Orange and Verizon. Both new and renewed phones readily available.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It appears as if every street corner has a cell phone outlet.

I have no idea how phones are distributed here, but I would assume by the number of phones in the market place, the country has plenty of distibutors, beside the top 4 (Verizon, Orange, Centennial & Tricom).

I also hear another European player is coming into the market.
Some other threads on the board about this.

Web based, B2B or B2C?

From one of todays newspapers:

Kyocera Slider - RD$1,495 (Pre-Paid RD$5,395)
LG VX600 - RD$3,995 (Pre-Paid RD$6,695)
Motorola V265 - RD$3,895 (Pre-Paid RD$7,695)
Motorola V710 - RD$17,295 (Pre-Paid RD$18,395)
Motorola V60i - RD$1,350 (Pre-Paid RD$3,435)
Sanyo 8100 - - RD$3,950 (Pre-Paid RD$4,150)
Samsung 8500 - - RD$325 (Pre-Paid RD$1,540)
Motorola Startac - RD$295 (Pre-Paid RD$945)

Motorola V60i - RD$495 (Pre-Paid RD$2,795)
Motorola T720C - RD$995 (Pre-Paid RD$3,645)

Looks like you can get a phone on a calling card for as little as US$32 or US$10 if you take a plan.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Lol! Oh Well A New Importer Of Cell Phones Ummmm! Anyways Son You Are Not The Only One There Are Many Impoters With Businesses Based In The Dr And The Us, Another Thing Try To Import Any Of Your Phones Legally And Let Me Know How It Goes.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Cellphones

Orange certainly market basic GSM handsets through hundreds of stores but they appear to be reluctant to market the most advanced Nokia handsets. There is an undoubted market for these handsets as many Dominican colleagues request me to bring them over when visit.

This is just my personal opinion.

John

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
jinty05 said:
Orange certainly market basic GSM handsets through hundreds of stores but they appear to be reluctant to market the most advanced Nokia handsets. There is an undoubted market for these handsets as many Dominican colleagues request me to bring them over when visit.

This is just my personal opinion.

John

Most of the phones that Orange bring in are refurbished from Europe.
This is why you do not see the more modern ones like you do in Europe right now.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Robert said:
Most of the phones that Orange bring in are refurbished from Europe.
This is why you do not see the more modern ones like you do in Europe right now.

you are totally wrong Robert they are not coming from EUROPE they are coming from the States.

why am i disclosing my business enough.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ERICKXSON said:
you are totally wrong Robert they are not coming from EUROPE they are coming from the States.

why am i disclosing my business enough.

Not according to Orange, or should I say the people I know at Orange.
Maybe they are coming from both?

htdomn

Oct 26, 2004
www.idealcell.com
yeah....

well considering, all ive read there is still a good margin on the phones for me to attempt it, i will definetly not loose anything. and considering erickxson does not want to do business w/ me here in the states ;).... im sure i'll find people willing to do business w/ me down in the dr.. some are so skepticle about it that it makes me want to give it a chance. i am taking a trip soon so i willl let everyone know about the deals i made when i return. thanks for the imput.
joe

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
htdomn said:
well considering, all ive read there is still a good margin on the phones for me to attempt it, i will definetly not loose anything. and considering erickxson does not want to do business w/ me here in the states ;).... im sure i'll find people willing to do business w/ me down in the dr.. some are so skepticle about it that it makes me want to give it a chance. i am taking a trip soon so i willl let everyone know about the deals i made when i return. thanks for the imput.
joe

there's a market for everyone here, i'm always ready to make money as long as is legal............................

htdomn

Oct 26, 2004
www.idealcell.com
ERICKXSON said:
there's a market for everyone here, i'm always ready to make money as long as is legal............................

I wouldnt have it any other way my friend. greatness is in the eye of beholder... with enough hunger and work you could make it in the worst scenario.

{applaude, applaude} thank you, iknow iknow... thanks.

eucalyptus

Jan 14, 2005
ERICKXSON said:

well, since u say there is a market for everyone, what else do you think the DR needs, especially from china or taiwan? what do you think would be good to bring if the price is good?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I Admire

eucalyptus said:
well, since u say there is a market for everyone, what else do you think the DR needs, especially from china or taiwan? what do you think would be good to bring if the price is good?

your original, clear cut, creative, exploritory, researched, thinking. :>

JOHN

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
wireless phone is a good market in DR, is the only sector that every year grow, 3 millions of users, and now with the activation of the new overlay code 829 will continue gorwing.

Check the market, visit potential customers and good luck!!!