Pessimistic Views are the Creators of Failure

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Few people understand that in order for a goal to be met, one has to vision one's self achieving that goal prior to its actual achievement. Of course, the only people who knows that very well are the people who are successful in whatever they put their minds towards it.

First of all, I am not 100% in favor of the Metro, however the way the critics have been trying to discredit this project makes me slightly uneasy. I truly believe that the logic behind the critics is a main reason for why the DR has not reached the level of development it would have otherwise had by this time.

In his most recent speech, Leonel compared the DR to Depression Era USA (which economically the DR mirrors the USA of the 1920s and 1930s, with a few exceptions) and with the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

The critics responded by saying that the DR is neither the US or France.

That's a fair response to a certain extent, but could that be the reason for our limitations when it comes to sustaining prosperity and economic growth?

Afterall, when Juan Pablo Duarte, Mella, and Sanchez decided to fight the Haitians to create a new sovereign nation, these men got their inspiration from France and the US!

These men did not thought that because they were in a country occupied by Haitian forces, that they were not going to persue their dream of a new country!

These men never thought that Santo Domingo was not the US or France for them to achieve a victory against the Haitian troops.

In the contrary! These men saw in their minds a new sovereign land they would eventually call the Dominican Republic, they got their inspiration from other successful nations rather than imbellishing in failure states, and they drew up a brilliant plan that was followed through and achieved!

Because of those points, the Dominican Republic is in existance today. If Duarte, Sanchez, and Mella ever had fallen into the mindset that because Santo Domingo was neither France or the US, that because Santo Domingo was not even a country at the time that they should never dream high.

These brave men never compared Santo Domingo to other Hispanic colonies who were themselves occupied, just like Santo Domingo. In the contrary, they dreamed big! They had big ambitions! They compared their nation not to the worst of the world, but to the best and attempted to achieve the same status of freedom and sovereignity France and the US achieved! And because of this, they put into action their plan and they succeeded!

Any successful person fully understands that in order to achieve big in life, first one must dream big. In order to achieve a goal, one has to compare one's own achievements not to the people below you, but to those who are above you! In order to lift beyond mediocrity one has to see one self in excellence!

Being a pessimist yields nothing beyond mediocrity and I am becoming ever more convinced that the reason why our country has not been performing how it should had performed in the past 40 or so years since Trujillo has mostly been the result of our very own mind and habit of not thinking outside of the box. Of only thinking of what is real today, but not what it could become tomorrow!

As Dominicans with aspiration to give our children a better country than the one our parents left us, we must learn to aspire to greatness and dream big and compare our progress to those who are at the top! We must learn to see ourself as a rich nation, then the steps to such achievement will fall in place one at a time.

There is no security in this world, only opportunity. Let's not handicap ourselves once more by keeping our minds closed. Thinking beyond one's scope yields a level of ambition that would lead one to achieve a level of success you never thought possible!

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't understand why you post all your ramblings in DEBATE instead of the other headlines.

Is it that you see everything through rose colored glasses and NO ONE AGREES with you and you EXPECT debate?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Escott said:
I don't understand why you post all your ramblings in DEBATE instead of the other headlines.

Is it that you see everything through rose colored glasses and NO ONE AGREES with you and you EXPECT debate?
Well, let's see.

1. Over 110 people at least peeked into this thread.

2. I got your attention to the point of actually posting something in response.

That's enough to keep me posting things that make people think, even if its people thinking of what are my motives behind my posts. ;)

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Nal0whs said:
Well, let's see.

1. Over 110 people at least peeked into this thread.

2. I got your attention to the point of actually posting something in response.

That's enough to keep me posting things that make people think, even if its people thinking of what are my motives behind my posts. ;)

I gave up reading what you post about a year ago, but I?m amused by what other people say about your moronic posts!

Joe

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
CyaBye3015 said:
I gave up reading what you post about a year ago, but I?m amused by what other people say about your moronic posts!

Joe
I'm glad you at least are using your muscles for enjoyment. After reading all the other pessimistic material on DR1, such thing is needed.

BTW, you are not the only one who can't stand me. Then again, many folks do give me validation and many more are in sync with what I say.

Afterall, I'm here to balance the posts flow, not necesarily to make people like me.

If I want people to like me, then I'll simply be nice and agree with everyone.

And, as if that wasn't enough, I'm helping Robert and company to make DR1 advertising space much more valuable. Afterall, a good number of people linger around my posts (either to read what I posts or read the other folks debating me) and they keep coming back for more!

In all sincerity, many folks here are just uncomfortable knowing that I am not just another poster who hides under rock and never post again just because some people disagree with me and make it very clear that they do.

I'm not an easy person to keep quiet, unless you present credible and convincing proof of your argument. If you see that I keep rambling on, than that is a sign that more proof needs to be presented.

I'm open to changing my points of views, once an inteligent person present his point of views with good backup and sources to back his claim. Until then, expect me to keep believing what I believe in, because much of what I do believe in has been verified through several people whom I have had similar discussions with.

Many of these folks are highly regarded people who are friend of mine, sometimes even professors of acclaimed American and Dominican universities teaching similar material to the Americans and Dominicans of the future. Then I come and present the issues here and a contrast in response comes in play. I don't know what that means, but the respected people of Dominican and American societies are not in sync with many DR1ers. I don't know what that means, aside from the obvious.

;)

On a side note: Please elaborate on how being a pessimist is good. Afterall, this is one of my "moronic" posts you claim I present. I thought I was balancing the points of views which are increasingly pessimistic on this forum by presenting an optimistic point of view of the heavy pessimism of some DR1ers and some officials in this country.

Attempt to enlighten me, I'm willing to listen...

Last edited:

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
I agree 1/2

"Few people understand that in order for a goal to be met, one has to vision one's self achieving that goal prior to its actual achievement. Of course, the only people who knows that very well are the people who are successful in whatever they put their minds towards it."

I agree with that statement. In fact with a little work it can become a mission statement. I also believe that being over-optomistic can be as dangerous or even more so than being pessimistic.

I am no pessimist, but I do practice caution when it comes to the future. It is like putting all your retirement money in a high return account. They normaly also pose the most risk.

Now when it comes to DR I am a pessimist. A country is not a business. The fathers of the US did not create the base for a strong economy. They created the foundation for a strong people. For high moral values and ethics.
That is what is missing in our beloved DR. We can build trains, roads metros from here to the moon and we still will be a 3rd world, devoloping nation what ever the ngo's are calling it now. 8 years ago we had no "elevados" in the capitol city. Do you believe it is more like new york now ?

You see nalolws New York has alot of buildings and roads but that is not what makes it what it is.

True growth is to be measured by how far it people get.

You mentioned leonels speech. Did he mentioned we now have the lowest(%) education budget in these backwoods. That my friend is not progress and thats why I am a pessimist when it comes to my country. Sure we will compete with the rest of the world as what ? squeegeeman ? limpiabotas ?
What ? where are we going ? what is your scope ?

Now I would like to state my personal pont of view to our future in the DR.

We will in the not so distant future have a break down of goverment and move to a more way more to the left. If you need something to back that up look at the rest of the "emerging economies" that did not get their act together in terms of moral and ethical behaivier on behalf of the politicians running the country. We need to do something fast because those of us with something to lose are far out numbered by those with nothing to lose.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
"Few people understand that in order for a goal to be met, one has to vision one's self achieving that goal prior to its actual achievement. Of course, the only people who knows that very well are the people who are successful in whatever they put their minds towards it."

I agree with that statement. In fact with a little work it can become a mission statement. I also believe that being over-optomistic can be as dangerous or even more so than being pessimistic.
Well, the definition of Optimistic is simply hoping for the best and pessimistic is hoping for the worst.

It never hurts to hope for the best in any given situation, than hoping for the worst.

I am no pessimist, but I do practice caution when it comes to the future. It is like putting all your retirement money in a high return account. They normaly also pose the most risk.
I think everybody practice caution when it comes to the future. The difference comes in the two types of people:

1. There are those who are passive and are extremely cautious. These people tend to be over-represented in the poor class and also in the middle classes. Many times these people blame any of their failures economically speaking to bad luck (despite the fact that luck doesn't really exist).

2. Then there are those who are active and they take charge of their future's outcome. Rather than waiting and seeing what their lives turns out to be, these people make an attempt at making their future the future they always dreamed of. These people are the types who make things happen, not just dream of making things happen and then do nothing or very little. These type of people are over-represented in the upper middle class and upper class of societies around the world.

You should always think thoroughly anything that has to do with you and your future, but never second guess yourself or over-think. Doing such thing would simply create in fear of the unknown and then, the future rolls in and voila, you missed the boat of opportunity.

Think of all the times you could have had something (buy a house, a car, date so and so, do this or that) and because you remained passive the opportunity came and went and nothing happened.

Now, think how your life would be so much more different if you would have been active in those times you were passive. Active people are optimist, because in order to be able to act upon your wishes and see you wishes come true, you must first believe that your action will yield success. Even if your first action becomes a failure, you'll see it as a lesson to be learned and you'll try again to achieve your goal.

That is the different between a successful person and a failure. Did you know that most millionares in the world are self-made? Did you know that in the US, the average millionare had a GPA in high school of only 2.75? Did you know that most millionare in the US were believed to be just average or failures by their peers and teachers?

It just shows that if you want something and you are willing to pay the price to get, eventually you will get it.

Now when it comes to DR I am a pessimist.
Too many Dominicans (especially those who left the country) fall into this category.

That's why so many government officials feel its their duty to be corrupt and steal.

Imagine yourself at your current occupation. If everybody around you believed you were worthless, lazy, and corrupt even when in reality you were not, would you keep doing your work correctly for much long? I doubt it and that is human nature.

Studies have shown that students who were believed to be successful by their teachers gained success and those who were believed to be failures became failures. The study revolved around a teacher leaving a note for his substitute about which students were "good" and which were "bad". To everyone's surprise, many of the students who were in the "good" list the substititute had branded as "Bad" and many of those in the "bad" list the substitute thought of them as "good".

The interesting part is that those who the substitute thought were good, did considerably better in the class during the substitutes teaching days that those who the substitute believed were bad, despite the real teachers' belief being completely different.

More studies are being conducted to verify this even further, but many times what people think of anybody else (even if they never talk about their thoughts) could have an impact on the actions of those being thought of.

Apply that to the DR now. How many people think Dominican politicians are corrupt and liars? Just about everybody.

Now tell me, what incentive does Dominican politicians have to be good if everybody keeps pounding them with negative remarks?

True growth is to be measured by how far it people get.
Yes its true and the DR today is way farther than it was 10 or 20 years ago. The country is wealthier, more powerful, better recognized and moving forward than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

What many people want is overnight success and that is just not going to happen. The only countries that I can think of achieving over night success has to be the UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc; and even these countries lasted a full 20 to 25 years before the wealth could be easily shown via modernization of its infrastructure, education systems, etc.

We will in the not so distant future have a break down of goverment and move to a more way more to the left. If you need something to back that up look at the rest of the "emerging economies" that did not get their act together in terms of moral and ethical behaivier on behalf of the politicians running the country. We need to do something fast because those of us with something to lose are far out numbered by those with nothing to lose.
This will not happen. If you want proof, just look over the border towards Haiti.

Sure, they are in the middle of a virtual civil war, they are a real failed state and everything, but Haiti continues to survive one way or another. That is a country that has gone from super rich to super poor and continues to become poorer and poorer. Contrast that to the DR, which has gone through boom cycles and everytime busts comes, the busts knock us down but keep us higher that before the boom cycles had begun.

I'll suggest this to you. If you truly are very very pessimistic about the DR, then get up and do something about.

Simply feeling pessimistic will not fix any of the problems you perceive to exist here. In this world, you must be the change you wish upon this earth. Don't expect nobody to do anything you want done, because only you can do what you want to be done the right way the first time around.

-Nal0whs

Justintime

Aug 18, 2004
Well...philosophically...

I agree... or is that, I disagree, or do I 1/2 agree? Maybe the debate forum was the best place for this post (hey Escott) after all. But perhaps some of us will skip it and move on to something more interesting, since the orig poster has such a large audience and is doing so much to help make the website more valuable to its ownership anyways, he doesn't need us hanging around here. Lordy...I'm rambling...I must be bored.

Oh brother... ;)

Justintime...or rather...too late :tired:

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
Here we go again!

I shall give this to you Nalowhs, you are the epitome of persistance. :confused:

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
NalOwhs is alright by me!

I've been keeping on the sidelines pretty much when these sort of discussions come up, but I'd like to let NalOwhs know I totally agree! Obviously there is alot of work to be done in the DR. But being negative never accomplished anything. Corruption, greed, etc.. is part of human nature and exists everywhere, it exists and existed in the US since George Washington crossed the Delaware. Sure the founding Fathers fought for the equality of every white, male, property owner in the colonies, how noble. Tell the employees and shareholders of Enron about the high values and moral standards of the rich business movers and shakers in the good ole USA.
In any case, pessimists are people too. Pessimists no doubt outnumber the optomists by a great proportion. People are generally frightened and extremely cautious creatures. I do disagree with NalOwhs when he claims that optomists are always succesful. On the contrary, risk and challenge generally lead to failure. Being able to dust yourself off and keep trying is the true mark of the optomist. If I wasn't an optomist why the heck would I have moved here? (Maybe I'm just a masochist?)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Naufrago said:
I've been keeping on the sidelines pretty much when these sort of discussions come up, but I'd like to let NalOwhs know I totally agree! Obviously there is alot of work to be done in the DR. But being negative never accomplished anything. Corruption, greed, etc.. is part of human nature and exists everywhere, it exists and existed in the US since George Washington crossed the Delaware.
Being negative may never have accomplished anything but being a DREAMER and making like everything is just swell never did either. His posts have NO reality in them and if anything are just denial. And Nal0whs that aint some river in Egypt.

This country is NOT in great shape and NO, you cannot WISH it so. The only way to improve this country is for the people to reject greed and corruption. First you have to acknowledge it which he believes doesn't exist..

Next time I will pass on any thread he starts. Hell I have been doing it for months and kick myself in the arse when I don't listen to that first thought.

Escott

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Hey Escott, points taken. True this country is not in such great shape, but most of the Dominicans I talk to are not in denial about the greed and corruption. For instance, the project involving NYPD in the DR, to help combat police corruption. While this attempt might be futile, it's at least a start. It's an official acknowledgement that there is a problem. NalOwhs may be a dreamer, but I see him more as a cheerleader, "Go Team Go". I'll always defend the underdog, that's my nature, and I hate to see any one attacked by the mob. As for you; Don't pass on his threads, I enjoy your take on his comments. There aren't enough new ideas being posted and certainly the debates section could use more activity. True we can't wish something so, but wouldn't you if you could? Now, click your heels together three times and repeat after me, "There's no place like home, There's no place like home..."

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
To the Dominicans on this board

I really get elated when you Dominicans get involved in a discussion. It proves that there are Dominicans out there that do in fact acknowledge that things are not right. I think there is too much emphasis being put on pessimism and optimism even though this is what the thread is about. As an American living in your country I am both pessimistic and optimistic about the DR. Pessimistic in the fact that in the last 9 years, how long I?ve been here, things really haven?t changed that much and optimistic in the fact that I can see all the potential this country has and the desire that you reach that potential. Now, optimistically, I keep hoping that the Dominicans on this board will one day start a thread and say ?We need to get together and discuss what it is we as Dominicans can do to try to get things on a better track?. Pessimistically I don?t think this will happen and I think that this is unfortunate.

As I have stated in a different thread, I live comfortably here regardless of the exchange rate, the corruption or who is the controlling force in power. What bothers me is sitting here in my little world and having to watch the Dominican people live as they do only because they know no other way and nobody has ever taught them another way. There was a time that I would put on my didactic hat and go out among the masses but was usually met with mistrust or disbelief due to my not being a Dominican and not speaking the language well. This does not mean that I have given up on my quest and optimism of changing some of the things in the DR but there is only so much an outsider can do regardless of how much he wishes or wants it due to the fact that he is in fact an outsider. It is with this in mind that I am forever optimistic that there are some Dominicans out there that will start to actually do something rather than just talking about it. If a person doesn?t know exactly what to do then they have other Dominicans, who seem to want change, to converse with and devise a plan or course of action and act on it.

The magic words which I wish to convey in my post are (action) and (desire) be it that you are either an optimist or pessimist. It is you the Dominican that has all the necessary tools at your disposal to implement change and all that is lacking are the abovementioned magic words. This reminds me of a very famous quote made by President John F Kennedy in his 1961 inaugural address :

?Ask not what your country can do for you ? ask what you can do for your country ?.

Good words to live by. ;) ;) ;)

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
I really get elated when you Dominicans get involved in a discussion. It proves that there are Dominicans out there that do in fact acknowledge that things are not right. I think there is too much emphasis being put on pessimism and optimism even though this is what the thread is about. As an American living in your country I am both pessimistic and optimistic about the DR. Pessimistic in the fact that in the last 9 years, how long I?ve been here, things really haven?t changed that much and optimistic in the fact that I can see all the potential this country has and the desire that you reach that potential. Now, optimistically, I keep hoping that the Dominicans on this board will one day start a thread and say ?We need to get together and discuss what it is we as Dominicans can do to try to get things on a better track?. Pessimistically I don?t think this will happen and I think that this is unfortunate.

As I have stated in a different thread, I live comfortably here regardless of the exchange rate, the corruption or who is the controlling force in power. What bothers me is sitting here in my little world and having to watch the Dominican people live as they do only because they know no other way and nobody has ever taught them another way. There was a time that I would put on my didactic hat and go out among the masses but was usually met with mistrust or disbelief due to my not being a Dominican and not speaking the language well. This does not mean that I have given up on my quest and optimism of changing some of the things in the DR but there is only so much an outsider can do regardless of how much he wishes or wants it due to the fact that he is in fact an outsider. It is with this in mind that I am forever optimistic that there are some Dominicans out there that will start to actually do something rather than just talking about it. If a person doesn?t know exactly what to do then they have other Dominicans, who seem to want change, to converse with and devise a plan or course of action and act on it.

The magic words which I wish to convey in my post are (action) and (desire) be it that you are either an optimist or pessimist. It is you the Dominican that has all the necessary tools at your disposal to implement change and all that is lacking are the abovementioned magic words. This reminds me of a very famous quote made by President John F Kennedy in his 1961 inaugural address :

Good words to live by. ;) ;) ;)

Thank you for that post Rick. You have written something I've thought about ever since I joined this forum; how many active posters are actually involved in the process of finding and implementing solutions and remedies for the myriad of socio-political and economic maladies that plague our country? This is, of course, a rhetorical question since I'm not expecting those who are actively involved to raise their hands for recognition. I just think that there are some very intelligent, educated and well-prepared posters, who could very well affect some change if they were to "roll-up their sleeves" and take the challenge to make good things happen. I hope that some are already involved.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Hehehehe....Nils...that was a good ending.

Naufrago said:
Hey Escott, points taken. True this country is not in such great shape, but most of the Dominicans I talk to are not in denial about the greed and corruption. For instance, the project involving NYPD in the DR, to help combat police corruption. While this attempt might be futile, it's at least a start. It's an official acknowledgement that there is a problem. NalOwhs may be a dreamer, but I see him more as a cheerleader, "Go Team Go". I'll always defend the underdog, that's my nature, and I hate to see any one attacked by the mob. As for you; Don't pass on his threads, I enjoy your take on his comments. There aren't enough new ideas being posted and certainly the debates section could use more activity. True we can't wish something so, but wouldn't you if you could? Now, click your heels together three times and repeat after me, "There's no place like home, There's no place like home..."

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
My turn!!

The only "problem" that I have with Nal0whs is that many times he forget to write "in my opinion" when stating a view/point.

Other than that, in my book, write and write some more. I do not have to agree with all you say in order for me to be understand what you are trying to say. I'll be the judge if I need to agree with you or not.

Btw, Nal0whs, I rather ask you a question where I know that you will not only answer it, but also explain to me what you mean, than just ask anyone else that would only answer "yes" or "no".

IMO, WRITE AWAY and if for any reason I don't like what you are saying, I will not "put" my nose where it does not belongs. If you know what I mean!.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:
The only "problem" that I have with Nal0whs is that many times he forget to write "in my opinion" when stating a view/point.

Other than that, in my book, write and write some more. I do not have to agree with all you say in order for me to be understand what you are trying to say. I'll be the judge if I need to agree with you or not.

Btw, Nal0whs, I rather ask you a question where I know that you will not only answer it, but also explain to me what you mean, than just ask anyone else that would only answer "yes" or "no".

IMO, WRITE AWAY and if for any reason I don't like what you are saying, I will not "put" my nose where it does not belongs. If you know what I mean!.
I will take your advice about writting the "in my opinion" phrase before presenting my comments.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And The Real Question Is....

why is it so important for many to attempt to change my overall optimism?

Am I having such an impact on peoples way of thinking?

Am I so influential?

Why is it hard for Escott and to a lesser extent, Tbill and others to just read my message and respond towards the message and not try to change my way of being?

I'm asking this in all sincerity.

Why do I have so much influence on people to the point that they ask me to change my way of being?

The interesting thing is that these are the people who I thought were least likely to be affected by my views and posts.

Why?

If you don't want to post it in the open, then PM me, but I truly want to know.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Why is it hard for Escott and to a lesser extent, Tbill and others to just read my message and respond towards the message and not try to change my way of being?

I'm asking this in all sincerity.
I can only speak for myself and no one else.

What I would like to change is your writing like you are living in a different country than I am. We live in the same place and see the same crap daily.

I acknowlege it and you deny it. Get it yet?

If it rains for 30 days you come on and say that weather has been sunny and beautiful. If you shared your LSD with the rest of us maybe we would be like you also.

I too sit here shaking my head from side to side reading your ramblings. I don't want to change your way of being, I would just like you not to believe in Peter Pan and type it like he is the new President of the DR.

Escott