What do yall think?

daddyyankee

Mar 6, 2005
Hello all
i just wanted to hear from some of yall and get opinions

I have family in DR and to help them make some "extra money" (not to get rich) i have purchased mostly baby and some young childrens clothing here in US (2$ each or less) and plan on shipping in out of Boston to the DR. The family there will sell it at the house. Seems to me like a good idea and would give them something to do, seeing that the prices, for example in Jumbo, for baby clothes are outrageous (10$ and up for an outfit for baby). What do you guys think? possible for them to make the 2$ back on each item and then some?
thanks for opinions and advice

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Difficult to say... Depends on the shipping and tax cost to get the stuff here. There are places where baby clothes are not so expensive, and the Dominicans are also good in changing with each other depending of the age of their babies..
Have you checked the shipping etc, it might turn out to be good, but it might also turn out to be an expensive issue..

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
daddyyankee said:
Hello all
i just wanted to hear from some of yall and get opinions

I have family in DR and to help them make some "extra money" (not to get rich) i have purchased mostly baby and some young childrens clothing here in US (2$ each or less) and plan on shipping in out of Boston to the DR. The family there will sell it at the house. Seems to me like a good idea and would give them something to do, seeing that the prices, for example in Jumbo, for baby clothes are outrageous (10$ and up for an outfit for baby). What do you guys think? possible for them to make the 2$ back on each item and then some?
thanks for opinions and advice
I'm not sure of you family's exact situation or your releationship with them but I tried something similar with my wife's family. It didn't work. I didn't learn my lesson and took it further and opened up a little shop hoping to employ some of her brothers. That also didn't work. PM me if you want more details.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Here's why it won't work

Don't know where your family is at but in the Puerto Plata area they have "flea markets" for the locals. A freind of mine was wearing a Greg Norman shirt one night and told me he paid $6US for it. That same shirt in the US goes for $40 to $65. If the shipping is expensive, forget it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It all depends on how the stuff gets here

If you "mule" it in, in your luggage, they can sell it and make a profit.

What they do with the money is something else.

If you send it by one of the "moving" services that are operating out of Dominican neighborhoods, they still migh be able to make a good deal of money, since this is the basic stuff that goes in the containers anyway.

Try it and see. But don't get your hopes up too hig..

HB