Travel and Tourism...good job?

Momma Bugz

Mar 12, 2005
Right now I am studying Travel and tourism in school. I am looking into all my possibilities. Is travel and tourism a good corse with many different job opportunities in the DR?? I have herd that you can get a good job in the islands? My friends live in the DR and I have gone a few times to visit. Now I am just exploring my career options at home and all over the world.
Thankx Momma Bugz

Bonita Morena

Sep 24, 2004
I'm a travel and tourism student in Toronto

I think it is a great choice for job oppurtunities if you like to travel and want experience different parts of the world. I am anxious to find employment in the industry, preferably in the DR. Any information anyone can offer would be greatly appreiciated...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Travel and tourism is a big and wide area. It would all depend on what area you would be focusing on.
Dominican Republic is a paradise in many, many ways and the tourism in some areas are booming, more hotels etc are being built. In other ways, many companies selling and arranging excursions say it is harder than ever.
Dominican Republic is also a 3rd world country, and the unemployment is very, very hight.
The hotel staff is mainly, almost completely, Dominican, and the salaries are of course Dominican as well. Most - all that are big - of the resorts are all - inclusive, meaning the tip base is not very high.
The local staff at hotels speak ( of course ) Spanish and also English.
The salaries are around 4000 -8000 pesos a month for 5,5 days a week of work. That would make 150 US - 300 US a month.
As a foreigner, with no family here etc you can not live on this money.

The excursion companies is a mix of local and foreign staff. Many companies are owned by foreigners who have emigrated to the island.
The tourguides are licenced, almost always local.
The office staff are often from other countries, but live here.
Many have families here as well, and they are billingual, sometimes they speak 3 languages. They are also very, very familiar with both tourism itself and with the local culture.
Tours are sold by the reps from the travel agencies. They are also sold in Plazas in boots. Those works are held by both foreigners and locals, and the salaries are commission based. So the earning is from 0 and up, all depending on your sales.

Some hotels have vacation clubs, the staff here needs to speak more than 1 language. The sale here is commission based as well.

There are people who come here and work, for longer and shorter times, to live the adventure and to learn about the country, to learn the language. The work in tourism, or in bars, discos etc for min. salary or by commission. Many come every year for some moths, some "overnight" the low season here as well.

There is not a situation here where the employers specifically look for foreigners who like to work in tourism. There is no lack of people who want to work.

This is some information, hope it helps a little!
Good luck with your future and I hope you find your place in the world that is yours!