Popular merengue/ reggaeton artists in DR

TeeTee

Mar 13, 2005
I really love merengue and reggaeton music but I unfortunately know only the mainstream stuff. Does anyone know of any groups/ singers that are popular in the Domincan right now?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
TeeTee,

I could see you are not getting the response you are looking for....just an fyi use "the DR", "the Dominican Republic" or "la Rep?blica Dominicana" when referring to the country.

In terms of music do a search on google under "merengue" or "reggaeton".

Also you can try:

www.sabordominicano.com
http://www.sosuanews.com/nav_sosuanieuws.php?page=info/hitparade.html

-Lesley D-

TeeTee said:
I really love merengue and reggaeton music but I unfortunately know only the mainstream stuff. Does anyone know of any groups/ singers that are popular in the Domincan right now?

Last edited:

TeeTee

Mar 13, 2005
It was late!!

Sorry I made a typo..lololol but I'm sureeeeee you guys still knew exactly what I meant.

TeeTee

Mar 13, 2005

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
TeeTee said:

"reggaeton music" is not Dominican Music. :tired:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Carlito said:
"reggaeton music" is not Dominican Music. :tired:
Just because its not dominican doesn't mean that they don't play it or listen to it. If that was the case, there wouldn't be salsa anywhere other then cuba althought most latin countries have salsa music, and tango would remain in Argentina and the story goes on and on....

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The question was groups/performers that are popular in Dominican Republic, not if the music was Dominican by origin..
Daddy Yankee, El Jeffrey, Monchi y Alexandra, Rubby Perez, Julian, Magic Juan, Don Omar, Don Dinero, Voltio....

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Why are you guys replying to this thread if you have no answers for her?

As much as regueton is being played, danced and enjoyed in DR right now, it can very well be Domincan! It wont be long before some Dominicans get out there singing it too - just like some Puertoricans can sing a very good merengue.

Anywho back to the question at hand - there are many radio stations that play only regueton in DR. The most popular groups/singers are the same everywhere: Daddy Yankee, Eve Queen (although not as popular in the US as in DR), Don Omar, Tego, the entire 12 Discipulos crew, and Looney Tunes as well.

PS: Just as an FYI there have been SEVERAL threads explaining just how much it bothers people here when the Dominican Republic is referred to as 'the Dominican' thats where they were coming from...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Musicqueen to the rescue!!!

The best popular merengue bands in DR right now are:

EL JEFFREY (he won a Cassandra, but I don't really like him, find him a little obnoxious)...

JULIAN ORO DURO (he has a song that I believe has been banned from the airwaves...'LA CABA?A'...where he talks about how he wants to spend the night in a 'caba?a' without his wife or her husband finding out! It's crazy, that seems to be the way of life there, and yet they banned it from radio, tv, etc...they usally play it at the clubs, though!)

EL CHAVAL with 'Estoy perdido'...love this song!!! especially to dance...but this is bachata...

Reggaeton artists are mainly the Puerto Ricans that are dominating the world right now...they have already been mentioned in this thread...

Good luck!!!

MQ

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I just had to say I love that song too by El Chaval I've been trying to download it with no luck :cry: But I have decided I'm just going to have to buy the CD :classic: I haven't really heard any other of his songs or I might just not know it's him? Is his other songs good as well??

Musicqueen said:
The best popular merengue bands in DR right now are:

EL JEFFREY (he won a Cassandra, but I don't really like him, find him a little obnoxious)...

JULIAN ORO DURO (he has a song that I believe has been banned from the airwaves...'LA CABA?A'...where he talks about how he wants to spend the night in a 'caba?a' without his wife or her husband finding out! It's crazy, that seems to be the way of life there, and yet they banned it from radio, tv, etc...they usally play it at the clubs, though!)

EL CHAVAL with 'Estoy perdido'...love this song!!! especially to dance...but this is bachata...

Reggaeton artists are mainly the Puerto Ricans that are dominating the world right now...they have already been mentioned in this thread...

Good luck!!!

MQ

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I don't know...

I don't think I had really heard any songs by him before, but that was the first bachata I danced with my now boyfriend, and I think it describes a little bit of our relationship...that's why I like it!!! Plus, just remembering him holding me during that first dance...gives me goosebumps!!! :lick:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Music said:
I just had to say I love that song too by El Chaval I've been trying to download it with no luck :cry: But I have decided I'm just going to have to buy the CD :classic: I haven't really heard any other of his songs or I might just not know it's him? Is his other songs good as well??

Buy the CD - soooo worth it!!

(Did you get it yet Lesly?)

Janni

Mar 19, 2005
Merengue y Bachata Musica

Hola! I too love the Dominican music. Every time I go to the Dominican (which is 5 times per year) I buy more CD's.
Some of the popular performers are:
Frank Reyes - He sings alot of bachata y merengue. Songs like "Quien eres tu?" was a hit for him last year. I saw him in concert in January 2005 and he was great!.
Rubby Perez - Also excellent. Couple of his hits are "Fotografia" y "Tonto Corazon." I saw him in concert in October 2004. He had broken his leg and sat in a wheel chair the entire concert but it was awesome!
Tonio Rosario - Sings "Beso a Beso".
Adventura - They were recently banned from doing any concerts in the DR for 1 year because of obscene gesters on stage at one of their concerts a few months ago. They have alot of great songs like "Obsession", "Aye Mami" "Amor de Madre"
Yoskar Sarante - His big hit recently was "Vivir"....major bachata song!
Antony Santos - is also good....he sings "Ay Amor".
Raulin Rodrigues - "Si No Te Tengo."
El Jeffrey- Fairly new but has a few good new ones like "Mi Tierra" and "No Me Vuelvo a Enamor"
Some older but great DR tunes are "Te Amo" by Eddie Herrera, "Intentalo Tu" by Joe Veras, Juan Luis Guerra has a bunch of great songs "Avispas" etc..
I Love the reggaton music too....Daddy Yankee has alot of tunes like "Gasolina", Tego Calderon etc...I think it originates from Puerto Rico but it's all great to hear in the DR!!!
Hope that helps you out.
Hasta luego!

Janni :) :lick: