Visa?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey, if in the RD for more than the usual two to three weeks, how do I obtain a tourist visa? Or, should I just stay a little longer and pay the nominal fine at the airport?
Any thoughts, or leads to previous threads? Thanks in advance.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jrfkhe said:
Hey, if in the RD for more than the usual two to three weeks, how do I obtain a tourist visa? Or, should I just stay a little longer and pay the nominal fine at the airport?
Any thoughts, or leads to previous threads? Thanks in advance.

Actual tourist visas are nearly unheard of though obtainable in Washington. Buy a T/C, overstay , pay the fine of under $10 when you leave. Under 90 days (the old limit for free) is RD$64, or less than $3.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey ricktoronto- thanks for the quick response-I am a fellow canuck-
Excuse me, but what is a t/c? What if I stay for longer than just a few months-like a year or so? No plans yet, just a question.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Don't worry...

jrfkhe said:
Excuse me, but what is a t/c? What if I stay for longer than just a few months-like a year or so? No plans yet, just a question.

I am also Canadian and I was living there for about 4 1/2 months... I just entered the country as I normally would for say a 1 week vacation and when I left I simply paid aprox. $5 - $10 U.S. more than I would normally pay on departure. As long as you retain your tourist card which they stamp at immigration on entrance, I would not worry. You can pay (tip) your way out of most things in the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jrfkhe said:

Read your post - T/C = Tourist Card. A year has a fine, 2,3,4,5 and over, they don't get too excited. Don't drive under your D/L after 90 days though. Also you lose OHIP or other provincial medical coverage after 183 and you wait 90 days on arrival to get it back.