Looking for Info on Sabaneta de Yassica

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
Hi, In April I plan to accompany our friends wife to the town where she originated from, Sabaneta de Yassica. I wonder if anyone has any information about it. I gather it is a small town and not a tourist area but other than that I know nothing about it. Can anyone tell me what to expect in the way of size etc.? thanks for any help.
windrifter

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
From Sosua, Cabarete is about 10-15 minutes east. Sabaneta's about 10-15 minutes past Cabarete, heading toward Rio San Juan. Not a huge town by any means, more country than town. After crossing the river (Rio Yasica, I think) coming into town and passing the two blocks of stores, not much else to see.

I dated a chica out there for a spell. Pretty humble and friendly people. I met quite a few, and did the "colmado" thing at night. Oh yeah, there's Mesopotamia disco in town. Be sure to check on which is the adult night before going. Might find yourself in the middle of a high school party.

Really not much else to do. A lot of farmimg done out there...Pretty calm and relaxing. Would be even nicer if not for the music blasting from the little colmados 24 hrs.

Whatever you do, bring plenty of long-sleeved shirts and pants. Trust me on that bit of advice.

Hope that helps a little.

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
thanks

toneloc24 said:
From Sosua, Cabarete is about 10-15 minutes east. Sabaneta's about 10-15 minutes past Cabarete, heading toward Rio San Juan. Not a huge town by any means, more country than town. After crossing the river (Rio Yasica, I think) coming into town and passing the two blocks of stores, not much else to see.

I dated a chica out there for a spell. Pretty humble and friendly people. I met quite a few, and did the "colmado" thing at night. Oh yeah, there's Mesopotamia disco in town. Be sure to check on which is the adult night before going. Might find yourself in the middle of a high school party.

Really not much else to do. A lot of farmimg done out there...Pretty calm and relaxing. Would be even nicer if not for the music blasting from the little colmados 24 hrs.

Whatever you do, bring plenty of long-sleeved shirts and pants. Trust me on that bit of advice.

Hope that helps a little.
Why the long sleeved shirts and pants? Are you referring to climate or insects? This makes it a little harder for me to pack as I am a woman,but thanks for the tip.

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
beer

Escott said:
Besides the Isla Gasolina there is a tipico that has live music on occassion and 30 peso beer. Yes you heard that right, only 30 peso which is what the Playero in Sosua sells it for.
Sounds great only 1 problem. Me no gusta cerveza ! Lo siento.
My plebian taste runs to dark rum. I even like to mix it with diet coke (Oh the shame!!) Do you happen to know how much it costs to buy coke ? How about my favourite Barcelo Imperial?
Elizabeth :cross-eye

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
windrifter said:
Sounds great only 1 problem. Me no gusta cerveza ! Lo siento.
My plebian taste runs to dark rum. I even like to mix it with diet coke (Oh the shame!!) Do you happen to know how much it costs to buy coke ? How about my favourite Barcelo Imperial?
Elizabeth :cross-eye

If you like rum then you are coming to the right place. As for Sabeneta de Yasica I concur with other posters that there isn't much there. The tipico with those 30 pesos beers and the Isla Bomba where they have a small tipico. I like it there as the people are very friendly. Don't know about the long sleeve shirts other then perhaps mosquitoes. However they do sell repellent at the super market.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, and all kinds of never-before seen types of flying things. First couple of times out there, it took about a week for the swellings to go down. Trust me on it, Skin So Soft and insect repellants gets laughed at by both the people and the bugs themselves. Be prepared.

windrifter said:
Why the long sleeved shirts and pants? Are you referring to climate or insects? This makes it a little harder for me to pack as I am a woman,but thanks for the tip.

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
:eek:
toneloc24 said:
Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, and all kinds of never-before seen types of flying things. First couple of times out there, it took about a week for the swellings to go down. Trust me on it, Skin So Soft and insect repellants gets laughed at by both the people and the bugs themselves. Be prepared.

Wow they sound pretty fierce. I hope that it was maybe the just the time of year that you visited. I wonder why my girlfriend did not mention this to me.
Anyway thanks for the information I really apreciate it and will be certain to pack my strongest preparation of deet.
Elizabeth

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
windrifter said:
:eek:

Wow they sound pretty fierce. I hope that it was maybe the just the time of year that you visited. I wonder why my girlfriend did not mention this to me.
Anyway thanks for the information I really apreciate it and will be certain to pack my strongest preparation of deet.
Elizabeth

My ex-novia didn't mention anything to me about it either. I did find it strange that she was always wearing long sleeves, considering it was 95+ and dry.

During my 2nd time out there, I used my common sense and just asked her. She told me it was because of the bugs. It was so 2nd nature to her that she didn't even think about warning me, as she was just caught up in me just being there.

The family later would make fun of the rising bites on my arms. I had bites on top of bites.