Petrol attendant ROBBERS!!!!

blowfelt

Sep 26, 2004
Well the price of petrol/gasoline is high but what makes it worse is the attendants that work at the stations trying to make a high propina/TIP!!

Every station in Puerto Plata unless you watch the meter carefully, i'm sure you will leave the station paying for 500 pesos and only having 400 in the tank...!!!!!

I have had this out with many attendants and once again the colour of my skin and the thick stupid gringo tattooed to my forehead means you can never win so this thread is for all to detail what to watch for and to label the stations with known robbers so we all know where NOT TO GO......... or perhaps you know places that are geniune and safe.

To get the list started dont go to Texaco or Shell on the way out of Puerto Plata towards Confressi no good guys in there.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've used different petrol stations around Puerto Plata, without a problem for many years. Perhaps I don't have the 'tattoo' ;)
Mostly I use the Isla I think it is, on 12 de julio, just down from Tropical supermarket. Of course, knowing them for years, there is always the Christmas present & a tip when they do my tyres etc. But I've never left with less gas than I should have. Can you try using a bit of charm, asking how the family is etc? It goes an awfully long way.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
blowfelt said:
Well the price of petrol/gasoline is high but what makes it worse is the attendants that work at the stations trying to make a high propina/TIP!!

Every station in Puerto Plata unless you watch the meter carefully, i'm sure you will leave the station paying for 500 pesos and only having 400 in the tank...!!!!!

I have had this out with many attendants and once again the colour of my skin and the thick stupid gringo tattooed to my forehead means you can never win so this thread is for all to detail what to watch for and to label the stations with known robbers so we all know where NOT TO GO......... or perhaps you know places that are geniune and safe.

To get the list started dont go to Texaco or Shell on the way out of Puerto Plata towards Confressi no good guys in there.

Hi! I have never had that problem at P.P.Texaco or Shell. I always watch to ensure the gauge is reset at zero to start, & watch to see the final numbers.I always count the change too. If I get them to check/add motor oil, or anything else I always tip. Have a good one!, Canadian Bob.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are signs at both of those stations

That ask the customers to make sure the meters are re-set to 00000. I believe that they have the automatic machines, too.

Learn how to punch in 400.00 and the machine does the rest.

Of course, the smile and "Que hubo?" or " ! Co?o, que calor!!" will always bring a smile and rub some of the Stupid Gringo off of your forehead....

Neither of the owners of those stations will tolerate problems from their pumpmen, so try to make a visit to the station a social experience. Ask a question, even a simple one: "C?mo te llamas?" to break the ice and make you less distant.

HB :D:D

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Only 1 gas station in LT

The way they do it in Las Terrenas is by shortchanging you with the exact change. They wait for a few seconds and many people think they have the entire change back and they leave.

This happened twice to my husband when we have been there to get gas for our motorcycles, my husband is a very obvious looking "gringo" but since I am Dominican and know how they operate I wouldn't let them get away with it.

Ha, Ha, they can't tell I am Dominican but when I open my mouth and start talking to them (in their own lingo) they go into shock!

So, always check your change, they are crooks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I always check the zeroes, and it seems to have become standard practice for the attendant to show you that the counter is set on 00.00. A couple of times they have managed to distract me and I was left wondering whether they had really reset it. In one case I challenged the attendant and he got really uppity with me.

I should have pursued it with the manager because when someone says 'do you doubt my word?' or 'are you calling me a liar?' the answer is invariably 'yes'.

I haven't gone back to that station since: Av. Independencia (SD) just before Citibank: I think it's an Esso.

The other suspect was at the one on Churchill between Kennedy and Charles Summer.

My 'local', the Texaco on Los Proceres/Euclides Morillo is always exemplary, but that could be because they know their regulars.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The gas stations in the nearby area all have the policy of asking you to check that the counter is marking zero before they start to pump. I rarely ever use any other gas station anyways. I can't remember having that kind of problems.