Supreme Court: Prostitution is Legal

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm glad to see that the Supreme court has finally decided on this matter and there will be no more debate concerning this issue reguarding Girls of Legal age 18+ with this profession.

Gringo

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Gringo said:
I'm glad to see that the Supreme court has finally decided on this matter and there will be no more debate concerning this issue reguarding Girls of Legal age 18+ with this profession.

Gringo
prostitution exists in the dr is one thing..to say i'ts legal is
another.it's the image that is projected on to the world stage by the dr..when
someone reads this..that to me if i was a dominican would be important. a latin
pope??..aid?? tour destination for families??... all these questions and more
have different answers..when the world knows that a country condones such
activity. i'm far from a prude..but i really like the dr and feel that this
judge should be taken to task..if in fact..he said what is reported.and if the judge mispoke..he should admit it and say that prostitution IS NOT the law of the land.
----- Original Message -----
To: Sosuadominicanrepublic@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Gringo said:

Gringo

DR1 Daily News. 14 April 2005:
Supreme Court: Prostitution is legal
The president of the Supreme Court of Justice, Jorge Subero Isa said yesterday that prostitution is legal in the Dominican Republic. He said: "In our country, prostitution is still not an illegal act, but an act that is tolerated by society."
He said that state prosecutors that closed massage centers did so upon finding other elements that were in violation of the laws, such as illegal drugs, as reported in Diario Libre.

Actually, the Supreme Court president didn't say that prostitution was legal. The headline is of DR1. Subero Isa said that prostitution is not illegal. Semantics?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
La prostituci?n es un mal que no es castigado por ley

Here is the link from Diario Libre. It seems to me there is some misinterpretation. The judge said:

"La prostituci?n es un hecho tolerable por la sociedad, cuya pr?ctica todav?a no es castigada por las leyes dominicanas".

Prostitution is an act that is tolerable by society whose practice is not yet punished by Dominican Law(s).

I think this statement by the Supreme Court lends itself to (mis)interpretation. Since it is not punishable by law then.....it is not illegal.

Here is the link: http://diariolibre.com/app/article.aspx?id=31360

LDG

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Subero Isa said that prostitution is not illegal. Semantics?[/QUOTE]

Either it is or it is not, Si or No?

Gringo

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It's 100% Legal

Until there is a Penal Law in the books i.e. NYPL 240.20 (Disorderly Conduct), you can not be prosecuted for a crime that is not in the books, punto.
You won't be able to file a criminal complaint.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Gringo said:
Subero Isa said that prostitution is not illegal. Semantics?

Either it is or it is not, Si or No?

Gringo

We can play word games all day long but the fact remains unchanged. prostitution is permissible in the DR! If an act is not specifically penalized under the law common sense dictates it's legal. History has shown that laws are enacted to curtail specific behaviors. If a law doesn't exist explicitly prohibiting prostitution then it is permissible under the law.

BTW what is the big deal about DR allowing prostitution? The DR will be in good company! Most of the world allows prostitution in one form or another. Even in one state of the USA allows it and... Canada, many places in Europe (eg England, France, Denmark), Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Iran....etc.

Scabble anyone?

NotLurking

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
NotLurking said:
We can play word games all day long but the fact remains unchanged. prostitution is permissible in the DR! If an act is not specifically penalized under the law common sense dictates it's legal. History has shown that laws are enacted to curtail specific behaviors. If a law doesn't exist explicitly prohibiting prostitution then it is permissible under the law.

BTW what is the big deal about DR allowing prostitution? The DR will be in good company! Most of the world allows prostitution in one form or another. Even in one state of the USA allows it and... Canada, many places in Europe (eg England, France, Denmark), Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Iran....etc.

Scabble anyone?

NotLurking

I have a lawyer friend that once told me that prostitution is legal in the DR, what is illegal is running a brothel...that's why they have so many "meseras" en casablanca :D...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Ricardo900 said:
Until there is a Penal Law in the books i.e. NYPL 240.20 (Disorderly Conduct), you can not be prosecuted for a crime that is not in the books, punto.
You won't be able to file a criminal complaint.
There is a principle in law (told to me by a lawyer): "That which is not prohibited is legal". Which I guess is that same thing you just said.

Apr 26, 2002
Finally, A Consumer Activist on the Supreme Court ...

Were it illegal, prices for the service would go up at least 20% to cover additional administrative costs and fees. ;)

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am sure, someone is still collecting those fees. . . . .

If not how does one explain that relatively small businesses, many of which are owned and operated by former "prostitutes" are shut down all at once, even though they were pretty much "hidden". If I had a dollar for every time I saw some gringos walking up and down a street looking at all the buildings with a quizzical look on their face, trying to find these places, I'd be poor, but I would have a few hundred bucks for beer money. I remember when that carnival was in town, I was at a florest ordering flowers, and saw 4 gringos walk back and forth on calle santiago 5-6 times. i walked up and said. . ."spa michelle", they smiled and nodded. They had no idea that the unmarked house that you had to enter through the garage was a "casa".

OTOH, places like Remington Palaca, Lapsus, and Tabu are still open. Any tourist brave enough to walk out of the juragua back entrance will run right into 3 sleazey clip joints, and will be aproached by touts offering to take them to numerous others. heck most taxi drivers will offer to take any gringo to remington, modelos, pablitos etc, as they get a commsion. I bet the percentage of these touts and taxi drivers that ever heard of spa michelle is tiny. That is because most of the customers even if these places in gazcue ar e Dominican. . . . .