Youth Prostitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
An article in yesterday?s paper el CaribeCDN addresses the issue of youth prostitution in Santiago (and some regions in the North) in parks and other public places. Dominican authorities started a rescue program for ?girls? (ages 10-14 yrs) that includes medical & educational assistance.

Twenty-three sex works were arrested in parks and public places (fifteen Haitian and eight Dominican).

According to the article:

----el programa comenz? con las menores que ofrec?an sexo a conductores y transe?ntes en los sem?foros, parques y otros lugares p?blicos.

?The program began with minors who offer their services to motorists, passersby at traffic lights, parks and other public places?.

----Beato deplor? que adultos practiquen sexo con ni?as de diez a catorce a?os y les advirti? de que de ser sorprendidos en actos sexuales con menores se expondr?n a severas penas.

?Beato deplored that adults have sex with young girls between ten and fourteen and warned that if caught in the act with minors will face severe penalties as per the Appeals Court for young girls, boys and adolescents".

---- muchos padres de las ni?as prostituidas tienen conocimiento de los actos de sus hijas, pero que no las corrigen porque llevan dinero a sus casas.

"Many of the parents of these girls are of aware what?s going on but don?t act upon it (correct it) because they bring money into the home".

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/articulo...d=6D808FAD358F4B90AFFEF8D7C991DA71&Seccion=63

Do you think this crack down will mitigate the problem?

Do you think the educational & medical assistance will help these young girls?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I am not sure a "rescue program" that leads off by arresting 23 people is much of a rescue anything.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Rick,

I understand your point but what other method can be used to initiate getting these young prostitutes off the streets?

LDG.

ricktoronto said:
I am not sure a "rescue program" that leads off by arresting 23 people is much of a rescue anything.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

The same thing can be said for drug use. Everything helps, anything that drives the message: stop catering to it, stop making excuses for it, start creating the mindset that the activity is extremely corrupting for society, particularly the younger set. Let's start with 'Just Say No', to prostitution.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
You Bet Nancy!

Mirador said:
the activity is extremely corrupting for society, particularly the younger set. Let's start with 'Just Say No', to prostitution.
Funny, I thought "the activity" was a result of corruption.

-Helpmann

ebonyjeff

Sep 23, 2003
Is there something special about age 15 in Dominican culture? From what I've heard about action around Santiago I'm certain there were girls in attendance that were older than 14.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Carl ericson70,

I agree with you in that poverty and prostitution go hand in hand. However, is it possible that we are underestimating the poverty levels in the DR? What I mean is if an age group in this case 10-14 yrs is forced into prostitution for survival then the magnitude of the problem is deeper than meets the eye.

Without statistics and as a comparison I would think poverty in Cuba is more widespread and as a result the increase in prostitution since 1994 (I mean tourist prostitution which includes a young age group) is a direct result of economic strife and desperation. Is poverty in the DR to such a degree that this age group mentioned above is becoming a norm for prostitution? If so, then any program I think is a start and it would have to be continuously improved in order for it to be effective over time.

LDG.

carl ericson70 said:
No! as long as there's poverty, these things will always happen.

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
interesting thread......

i just wonder what are the realistic options for these young people to develop marketable skills....and actualy find employment. It is fine and dandy to want to clean up the streets and crack down on prostitution (underage or otherwise)...but where are the jobs????

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Jrzyguy,

Don't forget the age group is 10-14 yrs so these youths s/b in school and with education they stand a chance at getting a job more so than choosing prostitution as a means to an end.

LDG.

jrzyguy said:
interesting thread......

i just wonder what are the realistic options for these young people to develop marketable skills....and actualy find employment. It is fine and dandy to want to clean up the streets and crack down on prostitution (underage or otherwise)...but where are the jobs????

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Lesley D said:
Rick,

I understand your point but what other method can be used to initiate getting these young prostitutes off the streets?

LDG.

You realize arrest often if not always comes with extortion for cash and or sexual favours, voluntarily or not?

So they are on the street asking for money and giving sex, get arrested have to give money and sex to the people that are supposedly "rescuing" them. Like hell they are.

If it was a Casa Alianza project then I may believe it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do You Believe EVERYTHING You Read In The DR's Newspapers???

Or just the articles that have a sex angle???
There is almost always a "Hidden Agenda" to these reposts here.It is sometimes an outright lie(The Headlined Story)sometimes exagerated,overblown,and always slanted!
A "DoGooder" trying to make a name,collect money.A District attorney(Like in Santo Domingo now)who wants to run for President next election.Police showing their "good works",newspapers wanting to sell newspapers.international NGOs showing the need for their help,and subsequent need for their funding!
There is a lot of "Sex Angle" stories making "News" in the last few months.Don't forget "Dirty Tricks" are popular here.If the Leonel Government can't control prostitution,or protect kids,"Throw Them Out!"So the PRD "makes" news stories about the "PLD".
We all want to protect the children,those who fabricate stories for their own causes know that, and use it to their own advantage.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
Im still wondering why would a 10 year old have sex on there mind unless they have a chulo putting it in there mind and I think that is problem at hand.

ronaldobklyn said:
Im still wondering why would a 10 year old have sex on there mind unless they have a chulo putting it in there mind and I think that is problem at hand.

I dont think some of them know any other way of life- beeing abused in the home, maybe for years. And then doing the same thing on the streets- the only difference must be, at least now their beeing paid alittle bit every time some mindless bastard abuses them..

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Rethinking this whole issue...

Underage prostitution is a problem but the whole culture has a very strange outlook on this. I have met beautiful university students who had no problems getting down for money. The poor ones of course are out there, but as long as a persons' average monthly salary equals the money they need just for rent, if they can earn it in a few days or just one night, then there can be no room for discussion about this until the DR offers its people a way out of their misery.
I went to a friends' house and he said the weirdest thing-"you can live well here if you have money". He lives in a very nice house in Arroyo Hondo in a gated comminuty, so it was a different experience for me. But of course this man made his money in the US, so it is very easy for him to say what he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.