Legal question for Fabio.

Mercy

Feb 18, 2002
If after over 5 years of marriage with no children, one of the spouses dies.
What are the rights of the surviving spouse?

I understand that house and property owned before marriage are not involved in the estate. What about cash, furniture, jewelry, etc.?

Thanks for the repply.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I'm no Fabio but IMHO ...

If there is a prior spouse and/or children of the deceased, or other dependents like elderly parents, they would most likely have a claim to make.
Otherwise, unless the will specifies that other relatives or anyone should receive something, I'd say it is all the spouse's with the possible exception of anything that was on loan or lease to the deceased.
I think the property issue is only relevant if it is a divorce.

Greedy vultures not included in the will are sh!t out of luck.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
We?ll assume that the decedent had neither children nor parents since otherwise the law reserves a percentage of the inheritance to them.

We?ll also assume that the spouses are married under community-property rules, meaning that the spouses are 50-50 owners of all matrimonial assets which, according to Articles 1401 to 1408 of the Civil Code, consist of the following:

1) All movable properties (in essence, everything but real estate) belonging to either spouse at the time of the marriage or acquired by either of them during marriage, even by inheritance or gift unless the testator or donor has expressed otherwise. To translate into simple terms, whatever money, stocks, bonds, vehicles, etc. (everything but real estate) you may have on the day of the marriage, is split 50-50 with your spouse when you say ?yes, I do.? If your parents leave you $1,000,000 in their will and they do not expressly or implicitly state that this is for you alone, and not for your spouse, then your spouse will get 50%.

2) All income from properties belonging exclusively for whatever reason to either spouse.

3) All immovable properties (real estate) acquired by either spouse during marriage.

If a spouse dies without a will, the surviving spouse will get 50% of the matrimonial assets because they are already his or hers according to community-property rules. This 50% is not considered to be a part of the inheritance and therefore no inheritance taxes apply. The remaining 50% will go the deceased?s heirs, in this case, to his or her brothers.

If the spouse has a will, the remaining 50% will go to the beneficiary established in the will, which could be the surviving spouse.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
An illegal voice of experience

Hide everything you can as well as you can.

Be the poorest of the poor, with just the bare minimum to "save face"...

Go to as extreme lengths as possible to do this, without killing anybody, of course!:D.

All of "your" (singular) stuff became "your"(plural) stuff the day you got married.

Good luck, as a widow, you are about to get "screwed" again, by the relatives who will sic lawyers on you if they even imagine you have "something" that they might like....

HB :ermm: