info on location to open a bar/cafe

T

Tamara

Is it difficult to find a location (to rent) to open a bar in Puerto Plata. Is there a good market for a new bar, or is the market already filled so that it would be difficult to succeed. Thanks

A

Andy

With what is happening in Las Galeras (also on the North Coast) as I type this, I CANNOT ADVISE ANYBODY TO INVEST ONE MORE PENNY IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. You would be much better off to put your bar in Miami Beach.

L

Laura

Re: info on location to open a fill us in!

Well why don't you fill us in on what is going on!

T

Tom

There have been numerous detailed reports of this on the other board

Tom

D

diego

Anybody even thinking about opening an other bar anywhere on the North coast must be nuts

T

Tamara

Diego; Re: info on location to open a fill us in!

Thanks for responding Diego, but why you say that? You can also mail me back at my yahoo adress. Thanks

R

Richard

As someone who has been there, done that, may I suggest the biggest problem with going into business in the D.R. is the lack of experience and lack of research into operating such a business. if yo are going to do it, i think it makes good sense to movetothe d.r. fr a few months before making an investment. that way you get to know the place, local customs, local crooks, and also the people you cantrust. whenever there is a new kid in town, someone will show up with something to sell.My own experience was both good and bad,but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Ifyou have a dream, go for it, you only do this life once as they say, if you don't do it, you'll always regret it, butalso remember Sommerset Maugham's words. "sunny places attract shady people." Good luck.

G

Grahame Bush

Re: Diego; Re: info on location to open a fill us

Hi there Tamara, I live on the North Coast in Puerto Plata & have done for 7 years. A bar/cafe is NOT something I would recommend as a start up business Especially if Puerto Plata is new to you (see Richards comments above). If you want more info. about what CAN be done here in PoP, drop me an e-mail with details about you experience, likes, abilities etc. & we can talk through posibilities. I HAVE a house for sale that would make an excellent restaurant (right opposite the Amber Museum in the centre of town but would not suggest you started in that business until you have got to know the area & the people. Grahame.