Hair Salon - Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Can anyone recommend a good hair salon with an english speaking stylist in Puerto Plata?

How much can you expect to pay for a cut and blowdry and/or highlights?

Thank you
Daydream.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The one on second floor in Playa Dorada speaks English, she has both touristrates and residency-local rates. About 1000-1500 pesos if you live here.

On 12 de Julio just after Villa Nueva is Maribel, also speaks a little English.
Cut & highlights about 600-1000 pesos. Cut only around 300 pesos.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Conchman said:
Suzi in Cofresi, Columbus Plaza near Hacienda Tropical Hotel.

Thank you both for your replies......Is Hacienda Tropical in the Playa Dorada complex or Costa Dorada?

Have either of you ever had highlights at any of these salons? Are they good?

Thanks
Daydream

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Hacienda Tropical/Cofresi area is about 15-20 minute drive west from Playa Dorada.

Suzi is good but expensive. She is Austrian but she speaks fluent English.

I am a guy so I dont really know any prices highlights etc. but there you pay American/European prices.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Are you living here or a tourist??? IF you live here you will get better pricing.

The salon at Playa Dorada - is a spa. She doesn't speak english, but, one of her staff do. Her prices: colour about 800 to 1,000 pesos.

Maribel on 12 de Julio - sorry Carina, your prices are out of date. She is over 1,400 pesos for colour and cut.

Can't tell you about the Hacienda. But I am told that there is a good salon in the plaze outside the Hacienda. Is that the same place already mentioned???

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Suzi

I second Conchman. My wife has been so pleased with her cuts that she schedules an appointment immediatlely upon arrival in the DR and right before leaving, much to the disappointment of her long-time stylist (30+ years) in the US!! She cuts my hair too, and while the results are not as good as the aformentioned stylist, it sure beats the haircuts I was getting in downtown POP.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
planner said:
Are you living here or a tourist??? IF you live here you will get better pricing.

The salon at Playa Dorada - is a spa. She doesn't speak english, but, one of her staff do. Her prices: colour about 800 to 1,000 pesos.

Maribel on 12 de Julio - sorry Carina, your prices are out of date. She is over 1,400 pesos for colour and cut.

Can't tell you about the Hacienda. But I am told that there is a good salon in the plaze outside the Hacienda. Is that the same place already mentioned???

Planner, Maribel has gringo prices and residency/local prices. If you have a residency you get the local prices. It goes for her salon on 12 de Julio as well as for a bigger one she has in Santiago that her sister runs.
Color and cut is never 1400 pesos for a local, most cannot afford that!
It is a gringo-tourist price ;)

I was there with a guest only 2 days ago, asking for local prices for her as my friend even though she was a visitor. The cut & highlights were priced as I wrote..
Come on Planner, time to get local! lol

Last edited:

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
planner said:

Hi Planner

I will be living in Puerto Plata for three months from July......so I would hope to pay local prices!

I will try one of these salons out when I am there and let you know how I go.

Thank you all for your help.
Daydream.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You?ll find "your" salon, I am sure!
There are plenty of them in Puerto Plata, and the most upgrade ones have 2 pricelists, others only 1 ( and they are good too! ).
The Dominican women goes to the hairdresser at least every month, sometimes more and they fix the hair at home "always and always"...

Just say you live here if you go to one of the salons with 2 pricelists, and now you know appr. what the prices are.
A person with a salary of say 8000 pesos do not pay 1400 pesos to go to a salon, not possible for them!!

Good luck! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.