Travel with Kinds from the DR Horses Mouth

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
From the DR Embassy page for the one here in Canada: Concise and helpful since we've had so many posts about what they want.

Concerning children 13 years old and under traveling alone or with a person other than a parent (friend, uncle, aunt, sister, brother, niece etc.) should have a passport and a special permission from the parents.

The permission letter has to be signed by either parents or the one that has the full custody of the child, this letter then has to be legalized by the Embassy or the Consulate nearest to the concern person. This document authorizing a third party or the airline to travel with the child, must contain the name of the parents, name and passport number of the child, name of the airline, flight number and date of departure. The legalization of this letter by the DR Consulate includes translation into Spanish and a picture of the child.

If you are not able to come to the Dominican Republic Embassy in person, you must go to the Notary Public or Commissioner from your City to notarize the letter before you send it to the Embassy to be legalized, please include the fee for U$75.00 and a prepaid envelope to return your document.

This document has to be presented in the Immigration office at the airport when arriving and leaving the Dominican Republic.

For children over 13 years of age, a permission letter is not needed.

beckyred11

Jul 9, 2002
Starting to panic!

Hi ricktoronto!

Could you please tell me where you got that info? I have been running around trying to get all of the paperwork ready for my vacation (in one week) and after reading your post I am a little worried. I talked to someone at the Dominican Embassy in Toronto (I think it was TO) and she assured me that I will have NO trouble travelling alone with my daughter as long as I have her passport! Her father is not named on any of her documents, so I got a copy of her long form birth certificate (which is actually just a certified copy of her birth registration) from the Office of the Registrar General, which says "information not provided" in the father section. I was feeling pretty confident until I read your post. There's not much I can do now, so maybe I will just have to take my chances. We are flying in and out of Punta Cana. Do you think this will make any difference? HELP!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
As I said at the top of the page from the DR Embassy web page for Canada.

http://www.drembassy.org/english/index-Tourism3.html

They have a section , link above for travel with those under 13. Going there will give you what I posted. The Embassy is in Ottawa, 1-613-569-9893.

I would think with a long form birth certificate and no father named you are pretty much the only person of concern anyway, though you might want it translated into Spanish.

Also note it says "Concerning children 13 years old and under traveling alone or ***with a person other than a parent ***friend, uncle, aunt, sister, brother, niece etc.) should have a passport and a special permission from the parents."

So you are the parent and OK by the looks of it.