diff weather in diff parts of island?

clamdigger

May 12, 2005
hi all,

I just posted under "tell me you see sun" in the General forum, but thought I would try here as well.

the forecast has been indicating thunderstorms/scattered thunderstorms most days. does that mean rain throughout, or a passing thunderstorm that wouldn't ruin a trip to the beach?

also, do different parts of the DR tend to get different weather? I'm wondering if I should change my itinerary this weekend (my first time in the country; I'd planned to spend four days in samana/las galeras) and head for sunnier skies.

thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yes they do get different weather like many countries save the little teeny ones in the Caribbean where the climate really can't be all that much different.

clamdigger

May 12, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Yes they do get different weather like many countries save the little teeny ones in the Caribbean where the climate really can't be all that much different.

oh well. I was hoping the situation might be like the hawaiian islands, where parts of an island tend to have different weather--meaning there's always a sunny beach to drive to.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Weather patterns can be very different as this is a fairly large island. We also have mountains which effect how the weather passes over the island. What we see on the sattelite is a fairly large system so it will most likely but not definately effect all of us.

You also can't just drive to a different beach. From Puerto plata it would take maybe 8 or 9 hours to drive to Punta Cana...

So expect some rain storms. IF you are lucky the system won't be huge and you will get day sun and evening and nightime storms..... Cross your fingers honey.

this is fairly predictable for May. It gets rainy here.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Currently this weather system is widespread and according to Nooa will continue for a few more days. Hopefully by around Monday/Tuesday we'll see some sun peeking through.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
We went to Miches/Laguna Limon on wednesday to do some jobs, on this trip we only missed a snowstorm, all other weather conditions we could enjoy.

And back in Juan Dolio it was still dry there, that just changed last night

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"M?s seco que las rolas de Galindo"

(Dryer than the robins from Galindo) It's a local expression in Azua used to denote a place extremely dry. Galindo is a small village in Azua province, tucked against Loma del Curro, where it never rains! The landscape is barren, with absolutely no vegetation, and if it wasent for a spring above the town that provides enough water for survival, and the breathtaking view of the valley, mountains, and the emerald coast below, I would wonder what are people doing there... By the way, my cousin M?ximo has about 130,000 acres up for sale in Galindo, and the land includes the spring and the land where half the town is located.