Psyop

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
This is probably been debated or posted before, but I could not find it, so here goes....

I stumble across this web site about U.S. PSYOP in the D.R..

http://www.psywarrior.com/DomRepublicPsyop.html

Pretty cool stuff, one long page of reading with photos.

President Johnson stated in a television address:

The United States Government has been informed by the military authorities in the Dominican Republic that American lives are in danger. These authorities are no longer able to guarantee their safety and they reported that the assistance of military personnel is now needed for that purpose.

Stanley Sandler says in Cease Resistance: It's Good for You: A history of U. S. Army Combat Psychological Operations:

In some significant ways the Dominican intervention could be considered a low-level rehearsal for psychological warfare in Vietnam, where the situation was rapidly deteriorating: a civil war/insurrection of leftists with considerable nationalistic support, no hard and fast battle lines, no sure way to determine who was a rebel and who a student (when often they could be both), and semi-orchestrated U.S. home front and international opposition to American intervention.

Took all of 8 min, to read.

Tim H.

FALCON

May 8, 2005
Correct,

Its conceivable that this is the reason the Op took place (practice run for southeast asia), we'll never know. Its fascinating to me the way we wage brilliant operations, conduct foreign policy by proxy, intelligence/counter-intellignece (when Washington permits it) and wage war. To me, it's one of the most interesting things about the US. We are successfull a lot more than not in all of these endevors, so the proof is in the pudding. Most people gasp at the thought of these types of operations, yet it intrigues me. I can see people reading that article and saying " the US is so evil, so deceitful". They say this because most of the rumors they hear about these matters originate from the US, however, all nations do it at one level or another. States lie. Plain and simple. It has always been that way. We lie and spy on our enemies as well as our allies, and they do the same to us. We just happen to be good at it.

fortywater

May 4, 2005
I guess that's why when people found out I was American they thought I was in the CIA! It seemed extremely silly at the time, but I guess they had reasons to be suspicious.

FALCON

May 8, 2005
Agreed,

My business associates in the DR dont know what to make of me either. I have a pretty impressive (to them anyways, hehe) list of working partners in DC, and Israelis working in DC. To them, DC, or the US for that matter, holds so much intrigue.

Yet, I find reading through these posts a lot of anti-American sentiment. This doesnt add up to me when compared with how I am personally dealt with by people I work with who are in the DR. Strangely enough, I have not needed to travel to the DR, but will have to soon to oversee a project. I'm very curious about what I will find. And no, I'm not a "Company" man either Timex :)