Santo Domingo architectural oddities

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ever since we had a discussion about this some months ago, I've been making a mental collection of some of the architectural oddities that can be seen around the city.

I have to go back and take a second look - and possibly also a photo - at what looked like an English-style terraced house on Avenida Jose Contreras (somewhere between Churchill and Av. Italia I think it was).

Then there's the stone building in Zona Universitaria which looks like a replica of a typical Palestinian house. Gazcue is quite a good place for spotting some eccentricities, like the house with the treebranch effect balcony near the national palace, and the moorish palace complete with mini-minarets, also near the palace. (The Palace itself is a testament to delusions of grandeur and megalomania, but that's a topic in itself.)

Can anyone come up with any more?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Near the UASD there is a house/mansion with a tower like a castle. I think Gascue is an architectural museum...lots of art deco properties that are gorgeous. If Dominicans had any sort of taste they would rescue these gems instead of tearing them down or letting those neighborhoods become slums.