Dominican Republic In July

GAZ

May 30, 2005
Could Anyone Advise What Type Of Weather Can Be Expected In The Domincan Republic In July? I've Seen Lots Of Holidays Advertised But They Are From August/september Onwards Which Makes Me Think It Might Not Be A Good Time To Go In July.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
GAZ said:
Could Anyone Advise What Type Of Weather Can Be Expected In The Domincan Republic In July? I've Seen Lots Of Holidays Advertised But They Are From August/september Onwards Which Makes Me Think It Might Not Be A Good Time To Go In July.
All I can say is get ready to S W E A T!!! July is pretty hot.. but I personally love it. (Sometimes it can be difficult without AC... but whatever). I think some others that actually LIVE there in JULY will better be able to describe the July weather.. I have only ever vacationed there at that time... Have a super day! xx

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Dolores said:
See http://dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

July and August are the hottest months of the year. Rain, when it comes, is much welcome. Dominicans expect hot sunny days, with an occasional shower.

Yes the rain is definitely welcome - its just gets SO hot that you want it to rain - not for long though......perhaps for an hour in the evening......which clears the sky and its not so muggy....

Hope you have a great trip .....let us know how it goes

Daydream

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, July and August are hot. And the way the summer is starting, I think they will be very hot this year.

Some tropical storm/hurricane activity is possible, but more likely later in the summer. However, I recall, for example, that in 1996 a hurricane passed very close to the Dominican Republic on July 1 or so.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Ken said:
Yes, July and August are hot. And the way the summer is starting, I think they will be very hot this year.

The weather is absolutely amazing right now!
But HOT, HOT in the daytime, yet a little cooler in the evenings ( That does not mean cold! )... July & August warmer evenings too.
Today has been so hot, even with the breeze, that it was hard to work!

;)

Ms.Z

Apr 29, 2004
Casa de Campo Fourth of July Weekend (NOT!!)

Was checking on villa availability at Casa de Campo over the Fourth of July weekend but after reading the posts on how uncomfortable the weather has been recently and what is expected during July, will probably not pursue a July vacation. President's Day weekend next February may be a a better time to go weather-wise. Thanks for the great info.

Ms. Z

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ms.Z said:
Was checking on villa availability at Casa de Campo over the Fourth of July weekend but after reading the posts on how uncomfortable the weather has been recently and what is expected during July, will probably not pursue a July vacation. President's Day weekend next February may be a a better time to go weather-wise. Thanks for the great info.

Ms. Z

Note that Casa de Campo is besides the sea, so there is usually a cool breeze blowing through. With rare exceptions, summer in the DR is much more bearable than in places like Miami and NY.

jpc

May 25, 2005
GAZ said:

Hey ! That's a great time to go in DR !! Why? Because :

1. Less tourists = less stress for the locals so better chances
to communicate and learn more about that beautifull country.
Also, the low season offers more opportunities on many levels...
As an example, if you want to go on one of those excursions, if
there is less people on that trip, the guide has more time to take
care of you !Or..more choices of car/bike rentals wwould be another example!

2.Heat makes you loose weight !!!the more you sweat the better you
will feel about your body getting slimer !...But don't forget to hydrate
yourself well and spread the cream!! (The fruits are also more juicy in the summer !!!)

3. It's cheaper ! It's the low season !

So...That's for the advice ! On another note, since it's very hot and you don't need that much clothes..That leaves space in your travel bag...
DR is not a rich country...So if you like kids and want to feel even better
about your trip...Why not bring them something usefull like new clothes...
I go to driftshops in Montreal(Canada) and every time i go to DR, half of my
bag is for those who needs it...I bring them clothes..but also books..or crayons..or anything that they might need that i can afford here for cheap.
The smile of joy on their face is worth the whole trip itself ! Size of clothes doesnt matter..It always fit for one of them or a friend... :)

Ms.Z

Apr 29, 2004
I live in NYC....

Dolores said:
Note that Casa de Campo is besides the sea, so there is usually a cool breeze blowing through. With rare exceptions, summer in the DR is much more bearable than in places like Miami and NY.

...and it can be miserable here in the summer but from the previous posts in this thread as well as additional input from friends who have been to the DR during July, it seems that it is oppressively hot and humid in the southeastern region of the island in early July.

I considered Casa de Campo's location and sea breezes but the villa I am interested in (though air-conditioned) is along a fairway which is a bit more in-land at the complex. The seaside villas are quite expensive even in low season. The most desirable seaside villas start at $2,000 per night in the summer. So I guess it makes more sense to pay the high season rental rate but have more comfortable weather in the winter season when we can participate in more outdoor activities because of less humidity. I will look back in DR1 for February 2005 weather postings, however, before I make a decision.

Thanks again for the follow up.

Ms. Z

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
the DR will be Hell on Earth during those months, as it is now. You'll be culture shocked when you see the locals wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts nonchanlantly during high noon. I used to get drenched in sweat from sitting down waiting for a public bus, it was amazing. Will only go in the "winter" now. But you can help yourself by drinking plenty of cenizas and if sleeping in an a/c room, you'll get a taste of feeling like a king. I must say, my hell on earth experiences are from the SD side. Dunno how it is at the north end.