I just thought about??????

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
-Just what we needed: a weekly radio program for President Leonel Fernandez(just like Chavez's "Alo Presidente". As if we need to hear Leonel's never-ending boring speeches. Reagan was more fun!!!
-Be honest...Are Dominican holidays and long weekends fun anymore? Don't you just get bored with everything closed down? Do Dominicans work?
-Is "Aventura" beginning to repeat itself with the same themes for their songs? I can't tell the difference anymore between their songs.
-How many bachata groups can this music genre handle? It turns out every Dominican kid wants to become a bachata singer. It's getting boring and ridiculous.
-What twerps are still listening to merengue? Don't merengue "fronts" look ridiculous with their stupid choreography?
-The end of regetton may be coming soon. As soon as you start hearing pop artists featuring regetton music and singers in their albums, you know the end is near. Nothing kills a music movement faster than encroachment by invaders from other fields like rock, pop, etc. Remember what killed "disco" music. It took Ethel Merman, Frank Sinatra and cartoon characters singing disco. Remember the Shea Stadium burning of disco records?
-Shakira and Alejandro Sanz turn to regetton and place "Torture" in the #1 spot in Billboards' Latin music. The beginning of the end for regetton!!!
-Where is Tego Calderon? Did Daddy Yankee buried him alived?
-Why is Johnny Ventura back? Does merengue need this music fossil?
-This is why I like rock's meat grinder. It forces the retirement of most artists and brings in the new. Can we ask dignity out of Milly, Eddy Herrera, Sergio Vargas, Fernando Villalona and these boring old timers who just don't want to retire. I forgot...it's just that Dominicans are pseudomasochists. They keep electing the same politicians too.
-Why does the Dominican senate and Camara de Diputados need TV commercials? Have you seen the disgusting commercial where congress president Pacheco sings....Paz,Paz,Paz, queremos vivir en Paz!!! Pardon me Mr Pacheco..it is us who want to leave in peace without you!!!
-Why do people maintain the fallacy that Trujillo killed so many Dominicans? The truth is that Balaguer ordered more Dominicans killed than anybody in our history. Hipolito Mejia presided over a reign of terror where drug dealers protected by him killed hundreds. Hippo's first killing took place even before he was president. During the presidential campaign, one of his aides killed a man who showed Hippo a bunch of "yerba". The man was killed right before Hippo's eye at point blank and nobody was ever jailed for this horrendous crime against freedom of speech. Hundreds were killed without reasons known. Leonel's government aides are no different. Every day we hear of abuses and assaults with deadly weapons by his people and nobody does anything about it. Trujillo was a pussycat compared to these gangsters.
-The word "hero" has become a misnomer in DR. Almost any Dick and Tom can be called a hero. Can anybody tell me why Caama?o, Hermanas Mirabal, Tavares Justo, Imbert Barreras, are called heroes? What did they do? What did they fight for if not for power? It's that what being a hero is all about?
-Just a reminder...Colonel Francisco Caama?o De?o killed more student protesters during his reign as chief of the "Cascos Balncos"(the police's swat squad in the 60's)than Trujillo did in 30 years!!
-Does Dominican Republic have any real historians? 80% of those belonging to the Dominican Historian Society are not qualified, including two of its most prominent members.
-DR's biggest ego belongs to Channel 5(Telemicro owner)Juan Ramon Gomez Diaz. Not a day goes by without him televising programs where he self-promotes. He makes everyone miss Nazir Atallah(who should be making a comeback soon as he tries to run for Santo Domingo mayoralty or a senate spot in 2006..God help us) But Mr. Gomez Diaz should pay more attention to his faulty management of Telemicro, which goes off the air for hours at a time for lack of either diesel fuel for his emergency electric plant or just doesn't repair it. What good is all this ego-publicity if you can't keep a TV station on the air?
TW

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
As of Telemicro, I enjoy watching Proceso on sunday night, but the morning is usually better in Colorvision with Cesar Medina (the Vincho Show !!!)...

About historians, how about Bernardo Vega ??? He seems to be doing a good job.

Merengue is really dead, and nothing is coming in the horizon...

Now the question is about the "grupo impresarial" that bought 70% of El Caribe... I?ve heard rumors of involvment with white powder business... Agripino isn?t making a lot of new friends around Santiago... But, then, who knows... maybe it?s just empty rumors...

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Hello, old Chap, you are starting to sound like a broken record:
-Why do people maintain the fallacy that Trujillo killed so many Dominicans? The truth is that Balaguer ordered more Dominicans killed than anybody in our history. Hipolito Mejia presided over a reign of terror where drug dealers protected by him killed hundreds. Hippo's first killing took place even before he was president. During the presidential campaign, one of his aides killed a man who showed Hippo a bunch of "yerba". The man was killed right before Hippo's eye at point blank and nobody was ever jailed for this horrendous crime against freedom of speech. Hundreds were killed without reasons known. Leonel's government aides are no different. Every day we hear of abuses and assaults with deadly weapons by his people and nobody does anything about it. Trujillo was a pussycat compared to these gangsters.
-The word "hero" has become a misnomer in DR. Almost any Dick and Tom can be called a hero. Can anybody tell me why Caama?o, Hermanas Mirabal, Tavares Justo, Imbert Barreras, are called heroes? What did they do? What did they fight for if not for power? It's that what being a hero is all about?
I'm just messing with you, I kid, I kid the Golo. ;)

But I have a serious question:
  • Why do you pay homage to Regeatton?
IMO Regeatton is the ultimate chopo music. If you think Bachata is chopo just because of where it started, look where this crap music started, it's all about Drugs, sex, crime it's "Hip-hop" with reaggae beats, that's it. Bachata has evolved and Regeatton has stayed the same.
  • Why does every Dominican want to be a bachatero? Why does every inner city kid want to be a rapper or reaggeton star? Even Don Francisco y Sabado Gigante is selling this crap to the masses, Daddy Yankee even has his own clothing line.
  • Aventura sounding repetitve maybe the lyrics but it works, they still try to incorporate new sounds such as the rumba & reggeaton. I just think they are happy with the way the band is constructed. It's odd but Henry only gets one song per LP & "Mikey" gets one Rap and believes he can play the bass, it works and there making money & getting laid all around the world even in Dubai.
  • Merengue might almost be dead but some are trying to keep it alive aka Negros.
  • The Tortuga video is pretty hot, damn I love Shakira, I was in DR during her first performance... hot back then, blazing hot now.
  • Don't really believe your assesment on Rock, alot of old timers are coming back ie Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, etc. Most rockers don't retire they start to suck, get ego problems & move on to suckier bands ie Tommy Lee, Slash, Axel Rose, Scott Weiland, etc.
  • By the way most musicians start to repeat themselves by the 3rd LP anyway, there is only so much that can be expressed through words.
    "What I Said, You Said, Has been Said Before"

Paz,
Capo

PS Why do you attack DR Culture so much, even the musical taste of the masses? I believe politically our country is messed up but we have a good culture, from the arts perspective... at least.

project9

May 29, 2004
Weren't you the guy that was saying that by last january the economy would be in shatters that the "fake rate" would become "real" at 100x1 ?

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Burning Disco Records

Golo, I always enjoy reading your rants but like many Dominicans, if something happens in the USA, it shouldn't be referred to as happening in New York. Disco record burning was actually the blowing up of Disco records by DJs Steve Dahl and Gary Meier at Comisky Park in Chicago. This occurred between games of a double header against Cleveland. So much damages was done to the field as a result of the explosion that the second game of the doubleheader had to be cancelled.

As always though, thanks for your thoughts.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I like merengue, bachata and reggaeton. Why? Watching those sexy dominican women do their thing on the dance floor...I just LOVE the DR!!! ;)

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Golo100 said:
-
-Does Dominican Republic have any real historians? 80% of those belonging to the Dominican Historian Society are not qualified, including two of its most prominent members.

TW

No...there are no true historians because there are no documents in the DR to support anything. Not even what you say can really be supported, not that I'd doubt your keen insight, but lets face it....most of what goes on here is known through Radio Bemba. We always have to take for valid the version of someone who was "supposedly" there. I dare ny historian wannabe to go to the 'National Archives" and produce anything with substance.
The most important documents to the historic identity of Dominican Nation are in Puerto Rico, Spain and Venezuela, and they all wound up there thru the hand of corrupt politicians who sold them to collectors.....of course this version of the truth is not officially documented.
But thanks for your thoughts anyhow.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
additional notes:

-To Berzin: How does the economy look to you? As I see it, our massive debt continues to grow and we will al pay more and more taxes to cover up for the shambles we are in. Or do you think $1,385,000,000 is a piece of cake? The dollar exchange is a fake. It's up to you to believe Leonel and his misinformation crew. Just watch.
-For those who forget, during Hipolito gasoline prices in DR were US$2 a gallon. International oil prices were just as high as now. Today, under Leonel, gasoline costs over US$3. Our gas price was lower than U.S. prices then. The opposite happens now. Thanks to Leonel.
-With regards to Quirino Paulino's son.."E Pa Fuera Que Van" from St. george School, Dominican human rights groups are claiming foul over the kicking out of Quirino's kids from that school. But where were these groups when Quirino was poisoning thousands of our kids with the drugs he sold in DR? Have they ever visited our children rehab programs?
-Quirino's kids were also arrogant and were driven to school as mafia don's kids with loaded weapons and pushing everybody aside. They took up all the parking spaces around the street with their entourage. It was only fair that being a private institution they could reserve the right to renew admission to mafiosi kids. No pity here for me, even for these young lads. Kick them out. This will set an example, behave yourself or your family pays. Or isn't that the mafia method?
TW

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
About Quirino's Kidz...I think thants just a bunch of social hipocrisy. How many senators and congressmen and business men who are just as corrupt have their kids there? Are we gonna get moral at this point? What about the Baninter dudes? They did more harm to the country than Quirino ever did and I dont see the spanish inquisition on their ***!!Does anyone remember RENOVE? I wonder where their kidz go to scholl and if they are all admitted for next year's classes?
Would they have reserved their right of admission if Quirino where not caught? I bet my right eye they wouldn't have!
Besides, I think its a good thing we show kidz early in life what's the substance that composes the Dominican social classes. Politicos, Mafiosos, Empresari and Militari (notice the pluralization jejeje). All joke aside, 80% of the families represented by that school have their pockets or their hands stained.....just like me!
Its just another case of a Rabbit calling a Donkey oreju!

Apr 26, 2002
Quirino's kids have three strikes against them:

1. Dad is allegedly tied directly to actual drug trafficking and not to the more honorable professions of money laundering or providing political protection to drug traffickers;

2. Dad's is a most famous case shown all over the media;

and, last, but not least:

3. Dad's indio - not of the elite group.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Golo100 said:
-To Berzin: How does the economy look to you? As I see it, our massive debt continues to grow and we will al pay more and more taxes to cover up for the shambles we are in. Or do you think $1,385,000,000 is a piece of cake? The dollar exchange is a fake. It's up to you to believe Leonel and his misinformation crew. Just watch.
TW

Why are you directing this comment at me? All I said was I like certain types of music because I like watching young pretty dominican girls get down to reggaeton.
As for the exchange rate-well, it is a scam. You are 100% right. I certainly do not believe Leonel and his misinformation crew. I just hate having to pay more for a plate of rice and beans and getting to and from the airport when I know full well that all of us turistas are getting ripped off. But if George Bush was'nt hell-bent on driving the deficit through the roof, the dollar would reflect a more realistic exchange value world-wide, not just in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
re Quirino's kids

Yes, but I agree that the schools are happy enought to take these people's money as long as they are discreet in their dealings, as they were with Quirino's offspring. This extends to accepting payments for upping grades in some cases, I understand.

Having said that, the school is a private entity and can choose to accept and exclude who the hell they like. If it was a state school, it would be a different matter.

Anyway shouldn't it be St George's school? That has always bugged me.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Very few people in this country, regardless of their money, background and social status are drawing so much attention to themselves as "Don Quirino" has. He brought this on himself and his family. How many people do you see buying fancy helicopers, specially from Mr. Notorious himself Pepe Goico, then parking his helicopter in an official air force hangar in its own private cell and next to the president's helicopter, employs an entire town(Elias Pi?a), buys the largest dairy farm in the DR, buys off the entire crop of rice in the southwest, places an order for an SL Mercedes Mclaren the same week that he prepares the largest cocaine shipment ever to the U.S.A., sponsors Hippo's presidential campaign to the tune of over 30% of the budget in addition to funding part of Leonel's campaign, becomes a partner in crime with Vladimir Garcia, a top 20 DEA, FBI suspect, commands Dominican air force planes to conduct his business, builds an air force base for his own drug operations and has $40,000,000 in deposits in Dominican banks, in addition to his foreign holdings?
He forgot the rule of white, high society Dominican people...something that Ramon Baez Figueroa also forgot..."steal all the money you can but keep a low profile".
TW

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Golo...I happen to agree with your point of view on notoriety and its consequences in the DR... I am just saying that untill we realize we are letting the most harmful criminals out of jail with a smile, criminals like Ramon Baez Figueroa who has done far more harm to this country than Cap. Quirino could ever have, we will remain a country of tigueres, chopos y tumba polvos!

cutiecg

Jun 4, 2005
As to the name of the school

Chirimoya said:
Yes, but I agree that the schools are happy enought to take these people's money as long as they are discreet in their dealings, as they were with Quirino's offspring. This extends to accepting payments for upping grades in some cases, I understand.

Having said that, the school is a private entity and can choose to accept and exclude who the hell they like. If it was a state school, it would be a different matter.

Anyway shouldn't it be St George's school? That has always bugged me.

Hey,

No, it shouldn't be Saint George's 'cause it isn't possesive, it isn't his school. Like Colegio Santo Tomas de Aquino, different to Colegio DE Santo Tomas de Aquino or George Washignton Carver Highschool abroad, not George Washington Carver's Highschool. See the difference?

project9

May 29, 2004
As I see it, our massive debt continues to grow

Are the interest payments growing beyond the goverment's revenues? Our debt is huge but according to the latest risk ratings we're paying and in good shape to keep paying. The country needs money to clean up the mess we're in ... you got any money farm we could harvest some from?

and we will al pay more and more taxes to cover up for the shambles we are in.

Vicente Bengoa was clear on that issue: there won't be more taxes, period (at least until 16/5/2006).

The dollar exchange is a fake.

Deja vu?

Just watch.

I'm watching out for a disaster since your first "predictions" came out ... still, december went by and the exchange rate is the same. But i'll keep waiting, just that i'll sit down now so i don't get tired while my hair turns gray waiting for the disaster.