Santo Domingo to Las Galeras

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
Just amanged to get a roadmap of the Domincan Repbulic...those maps are pretty scarce here in So. Calif!
1. Which roads would I take to drive from Santo Domingo to Las Galeras?
2. Anything I should plan to stop and see along the way?
3. How long will it take to do the drive?

Thanks,
dick

Tony-O

Jun 11, 2005
roads

"1. Which roads would I take to drive from Santo Domingo to Las Galeras?"

The best and possibly fastest (i'm gonna skip the route via Piedra Blanca and Cotui) is to take Autopista 1, which begins as Kennedy in Santo Domingo, north. Once past Bonao, approx 10-15 minutes, pay attention for exit signs for San Fransisco de Macoris. Follow this 2-lane road through San Fransisco (you will enter the city) and continue onwards to Nagua. Along the way to nagua you will pass through Castillo. Once in Nagua you will be see signs (or ask for assistance if you miss them as they are easily overlooked) for Semana towards the right and Cabrera/Rio San Juan towards the left. It is autopista 5. Go right.

"2. Anything I should plan to stop and see along the way?"

This depends if you plan to stay overnight or intend to make it to Las Galeras in the same day. The drive directly from SD to Las Galeras will take 4-5 hours. A detour off autopista 1 to Jarabacoa is nice but will take lots of time. There's lots to do, depending upon your availability.

"3. How long will it take to do the drive?"

See above.

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for the reply.

We were thinking of maybe going to Samana and Jaracaboa both and splitting the time up between the two places...Maybe going to Samana first for 4 days then going to Jaracaboa on the way back to Santo Domingo for another 4 days.

Do you have any recommendations of places to stay? We heard about a Belgian couple with a place in Las Galeras but don't know of any places in Jaracaboa

Thanks again.

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
[ One more thing....I was reading on the net that one can fly to samana on some local airline and rent a four wheel drive jeep. Can't seem to find a flight schedule or fares from Santo Domingo. If we stay in Samana the whole trip this might be an option for us...

What do you think?

Thanks again

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My opinion is that there is enough in Samana to keep you busy the whole time. As you mention, you can take a flight from Herrera International Airport in Santo Domingo and back), that is if you are flying into Las Americas International. Spend two days in Santo Domingo -- enjoy the colonial city, the night life there. Then take the flight to Samana. Samana: Las Terrenas (Cozon, Playa Bonita), El Limon cascade, Las Galeras (Playa Rincon), and Samana (Cayo Levantado). All those different beaches will keep you busy. Once in Samana, rent the 4 wheel vehicle.

If you decide on renting a car from Santo Domingo, I would recommend you go via San Francisco de Macoris because the roads are better. Always go that way. For car rental, see http://www.dr1.com/national

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My opinion is that there is enough in Samana to keep you busy the whole time. As you mention, you can take a flight from Herrera International Airport in Santo Domingo and back), that is if you are flying into Las Americas International. Spend two days in Santo Domingo -- enjoy the colonial city, the night life there. Then take the flight to Samana. Samana: Las Terrenas (Cozon, Playa Bonita), El Limon cascade, Las Galeras (Playa Rincon), and Samana (Cayo Levantado). All those different beaches will keep you busy. Once in Samana, rent the 4 wheel vehicle. See http://dr1.com/travel/samana/

If you decide on renting a car from Santo Domingo, I would recommend you go via San Francisco de Macoris because the roads are better. Always go that way. For car rental, see http://www.dr1.com/national

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
drdick said:
[ One more thing....I was reading on the net that one can fly to samana on some local airline and rent a four wheel drive jeep. Can't seem to find a flight schedule or fares from Santo Domingo. If we stay in Samana the whole trip this might be an option for us...

What do you think?

Thanks again

You can find the flight information for Aerodomca at http://www.aerodomca.com/English/english.html. The airport is actually in Portilla which is a few miles west of Samana on the road to Las Terrenas. The bus, either Carribe Tours or Metro, is actually a very comfortable, inexpensive [the trip in March cost me approx. $6 USD], and a scenic way to make to the trip, but, it's a four hour ride compared to the half hour, $60USD flight, on Aerodomca. The bus stops abut half way through the journey in San Francisco de Marcosis to allow the passengers to get something eat and use the restrooms, and that really does help to break up the trip. Either way you go, you are going to love it! Have a great time on your vacation and remember to tell us all about it when you return.

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
Dolores said:
My opinion is that there is enough in Samana to keep you busy the whole time. As you mention, you can take a flight from Herrera International Airport in Santo Domingo and back), that is if you are flying into Las Americas International. Spend two days in Santo Domingo -- enjoy the colonial city, the night life there. Then take the flight to Samana. Samana: Las Terrenas (Cozon, Playa Bonita), El Limon cascade, Las Galeras (Playa Rincon), and Samana (Cayo Levantado). All those different beaches will keep you busy. Once in Samana, rent the 4 wheel vehicle. See http://dr1.com/travel/samana/

Dolores...thanks for the advice. I checked out the link for renting a 4 wheel drive jeep in Samana but couldn't find a link for the rental car company. Can you give me any more info on that? Also, do you know anything about a small hotel owned by a Belgian couple in Las Galeras...it got rave reviews on the lonely planet forum and I thought that might be a good place for my son and I to stay.

Again, thanks for all the help to you and everyone else!