moving to Ottawa, Ontario

A

apostropheman

I'm moving to Ottawa (Lowertown area) and would like some assistance finding the following:

1) gym
2) bicycle shop for a used bike
3) dojo for jiujitsu or aikido
4) used book stores
5) recomendations for restaurants and pubs/bars/patios
6) must see, must do stuff

I've never lived in the area and know little about it except what i've read on the internet. any help or tips appriciated.

thank you

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
I live in Ottawa and if you are moving to lower town then you are probably very close to the Byward Market where there are tons of bars and restaurants of every variety and ethnicity you will find.Once you are here then I can suggest you look in the yellow pages for a gym and dojo close to you.Depending on your age (30 +) I would suggest checking out Elgin street as it has many restaurants and bars as well, definitely one to check out is Big Daddy's Crab Shack nice mix of people there.PM me if you need more info .

A

apostropheman

canajungirl said:
I live in Ottawa and if you are moving to lower town then you are probably very close to the Byward Market where there are tons of bars and restaurants of every variety and ethnicity you will find.Once you are here then I can suggest you look in the yellow pages for a gym and dojo close to you.Depending on your age (30 +) I would suggest checking out Elgin street as it has many restaurants and bars as well, definitely one to check out is Big Daddy's Crab Shack nice mix of people there.PM me if you need more info .

Thanks canajungirl, i was at the byward market last weekend checking out the area. i've been looking online and have found some some possibilities for a dojo and gym but don't know if they are all they seem. hopefully others will also have some insight.

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
too bad it's not karate that you are into as I have a good friend who has a dojo with a gym as well! where are you moving from?

A

apostropheman

canajungirl said:
too bad it's not karate that you are into as I have a good friend who has a dojo with a gym as well! where are you moving from?

i'm coming from toronto. really all i'm looking for is a quality dojo for some relaxation and discipline. the type of martial art matters little to me. i studied tae kwon do in my 20's and it is similar eunough to karate. perhaps you could PM me the contact info for your friend's dojo. it might just be what i need. i'm flexible or atleast trying to be. thanks again.

canajungirl, thanks for the PM

Last edited:

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Hi.

I'm not too familiar with the Lowertown area, as I live in the burbs (Orleans)...

If you're still stuck on any of these things, let me know and I'll get you some answers.

Tom

A

apostropheman

OttawaTom said:
Hi.

I'm not too familiar with the Lowertown area, as I live in the burbs (Orleans)...

If you're still stuck on any of these things, let me know and I'll get you some answers.

Tom

thanks Tom, i'm trying to get a handle on the basics. i have a car so a little travel is not a big deal. i need a good gym, goodlife on rideau? and a good dojo to start. i love used bookstores and need to buy a good, used? bike.

most of the rest i'll find in my neighbourhood i imagine.

anyplace sell dominican coffeebeans?

thanks

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
For a gym, I'd stick with the community-run centres. There's been an awful lot of gyms closing here, just as in Toronto, I imagine.

I'd recommend the RA Centre on Riverside Drive, or the Ottawa Athletic Club on Lancaster. The YMCAs are a good bet too. There's the main one on O'Connor and Argyle. In Orleans we have two good centres, the Orleans Rec Complex on Youville, and I go to the Ray Friel Centre on 10th Line.

I don't know anything about dojos though..

Tom

A

apostropheman

Rocky said:
Would it help you settle in if we sent you up a girlfriend, a Presidente & a plate of ribs?
are you trying to kill me brother? :rolleyes:

on second thought send the beautiful miss "M", october is too far away

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

OttawaTom said:
For a gym, I'd stick with the community-run centres. There's been an awful lot of gyms closing here, just as in Toronto, I imagine.

I'd recommend the RA Centre on Riverside Drive, or the Ottawa Athletic Club on Lancaster. The YMCAs are a good bet too. There's the main one on O'Connor and Argyle. In Orleans we have two good centres, the Orleans Rec Complex on Youville, and I go to the Ray Friel Centre on 10th Line.

I don't know anything about dojos though..

Tom

looks like th YMCA for me. thanks for the solid advice. i have a problem with fitness clubs and their tactics. was a member of the Y years ago and i'mm check them out when i settle in, in july.