Best way to move cash...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I am wondering about what the best way to move money from Canada to the DR. Is it best as a bank draft or just load up the credit card?
Any suggestions? (It is less than 10k).

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Okay, thanks. Should it be, or would it be faster with a Scotia Bank account/draft?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Less than $10,000 bring Amex Traveler's cheques. At least you can get the dough faster than 30 days. i think they still sell $500's.

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
Scotia Bank...

jrf said:
Okay, thanks. Should it be, or would it be faster with a Scotia Bank account/draft?

I deal with Scotia as well.... if you open an account at a Scotia Bank in the DR (branches in most major areas ie: SD, Santiago, POP, and Cabarete) and arrange with your banker before you go to send the money via bank transfer to the new account in the DR (once you send him/her the number)... you will have your money in 5 - 7 business days... no hassels... It will cost you $28 CDN regardless of how much you transfer. Banking fees at the Scotia bank in the DR are incredibly cheap...

Before you go... fill out the transfer forms (except account number) and sign the form that allows you to give your banker instructions via email.... send the account number via email with no other information and another email instructing them to process the transfer of funds... no hay problema.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You can wire money from Scotia bank in Canada to any bank in the DR. My wife wired 12,000 Canadian to Banco polular in Jarabacoa for $36 CAD. Money was available to her brother in 5 working days.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Less than $10,000

Best bet is to bring it in cash. I beleive that you will have no problem with that.

Charlie

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bank Draft

I tell my clients to bring a bank draft sufficient that will close the deal, pay the Legal fee's and enough start up cash for them.

I took some client's to Rusa in Puerto Plata last week and the Bank Draft was In B.S.P. (Not Certified Cheque) was cashed within 20 minutes.

This works for my clients every time!

Gringo

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks again...

Thanks very much for the help-don't like the idea of bringing cash-but the others sound great.