[B]Question for Mr. Guzman[/B]

Audrey

Jun 27, 2005
Dear Mr. Guzman,

I am having a nightmare of an issue regarding my apartment and I am hoping you can help.

I purchased a condo in DR and I?ve been paying the mortgage on it. To make a long story short, this particular condo association has been going through a lot of mismanagement, stealing, lack of record keeping, and drama during the past year, the result of which is that now, the owner has decided he?s going to charge an outrageous amount of money as ?maintenance fee?. As if that weren?t bad enough, he claims that unless you have paid for your apartment in full you have no vote in association meetings (he has 80% of the votes).

I?ve checked my contract and there is absolutely no stipulation that unless you?ve paid in full you get no vote during meetings in there and all it says is that the title will be given to you at the end of full payment. What he?s doing ? is it legal? In the rest of the world, you get a vote when you start paying and the owner doesn?t suddenly increase the maintenance payment by 2 or 3 times.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Audrey said:
Dear Mr. Guzman,

I am having a nightmare of an issue regarding my apartment and I am hoping you can help.

I purchased a condo in DR and I?ve been paying the mortgage on it. To make a long story short, this particular condo association has been going through a lot of mismanagement, stealing, lack of record keeping, and drama during the past year, the result of which is that now, the owner has decided he?s going to charge an outrageous amount of money as ?maintenance fee?. As if that weren?t bad enough, he claims that unless you have paid for your apartment in full you have no vote in association meetings (he has 80% of the votes).

I?ve checked my contract and there is absolutely no stipulation that unless you?ve paid in full you get no vote during meetings in there and all it says is that the title will be given to you at the end of full payment. What he?s doing ? is it legal? In the rest of the world, you get a vote when you start paying and the owner doesn?t suddenly increase the maintenance payment by 2 or 3 times.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Why don't you contact "Guzman" via e-mail or phone?