north coast info?

kev

Jun 26, 2005
hi everyone! we have just booked an A/I holiday to DR we are staying at the casa marina beach in sosua paying ?2400 for 2 weeks we have 2 boys 9&7 dont know if that was a good deal but we were happy to pay it! any info about the resort&weather&things to do would be great! as this will be our first time out of europe&dont know what to expect also would it be better to bring cash or T/Cs? ps we arive on 18 sept
thanx
kev

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is a very popular resort known for good value. There are two hotels on same property and guests of one can enjoy the activities, restaurants, etc., of both. We have been having a spell of hot, summer weather and this will likely continue if you are coming soon. If trip in future, let us know the dates and we may be able to give more information.

The entire family should enjoy the resort, and for a change, the Sosua public beach is a short walk away.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Here is a webpage with some streaming video clips of the North Coast of the DR. If you are not afraid of heights, the Cable Car to Mt Isabel De Torres is cool. If you like colonial era architecture and history, the old fort in puerto plata is cool.
My personal favorite is to chill out on kitebeach and watch the kiteboarding. I think your sons would enjoy checking this out. Have some lunch and some soft drinks while watching the action. Kite beach is in cabarete not far from Sosua.

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/northcoast.html

kev said:
hi everyone! we have just booked an A/I holiday to DR we are staying at the casa marina beach in sosua paying ?2400 for 2 weeks we have 2 boys 9&7 dont know if that was a good deal but we were happy to pay it! any info about the resort&weather&things to do would be great! as this will be our first time out of europe&dont know what to expect also would it be better to bring cash or T/Cs? ps we arive on 18 sept
thanx
kev

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
In my tourist days, I stayed at the casa marina. Nice intermediate resort. It is right in Sosua so it is easy to get out and about.

Make sure to check out Sosua Bay and Cabarete beaches. You can easily get a taxi to Cabarete and sosua bay is a 7 minute walk from your hotel.

A trip into Puerto Plata will be interesting for all of you. Yes take ride up the cable car if it is a nice clear day, check out the Malecon, buy your rum to take home at the grocery stores here in Puerto Plata.

Most likely your children would enjoy a jeep safari, there are many offered. Find the one that appeals to you.

A day on a catamaran is always nice if you like the water!

Make sure to also get out of the resort and into the real Dominican!!!! Find a taxi driver who speaks english, negotiate a daily rate and go explore!!!

Go to Rockys restaurant in Sosua, it is around the corner from your hotel. You will find many helpful people there and the food is good....

Bring school supplies for the kids! One of us can help you get them into the hands of the right people.

For weather, check out both the Puerto Plata weather thread and the Cabarete thread! You can expect, sun, rain, hot humid conditions that time of year! Bring good mosquito repellant, you will need it.

Most of all, just plan to enjoy your holiday. Do lots of reading here on DR1 and you will come prepared......

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
make sure you take the boys snorkeling, to see the amazing fish...Fat Cat Diving, which has a shop right on Sosua beach, can take you for a short, relaxing, cheap snorkeling trip which should be just right for the kids. or they can take you for an entire day to "paradise island" where you get even better snorkeling