Shark attacks

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Is there a lot of shark attacks in a DR? In Florida, we have a lot of problems, with shark attacks... recently. Mostly bull sharks , they swim in salt water and rivers, and are considered the most dangerous of all sharks against humans.

Is that true in DR as well?

And how many people get attacked by sharks in the DR, no matter what species they are? Thanks for your input.

May 31, 2005
I live in Florida so I know what you are talking about. I think that the sharks are afraid to get near the Dominican Republic coast because Dominicans shoot them. LOL. At least they used to. I don't know about now since I think that most of them are now an endangered species.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Sharks? there are lots of them, but not in the water. You'll find them mostly hanging around game rooms and pool halls.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Sad but true

Dragonfly32837 said:
I live in Florida so I know what you are talking about. I think that the sharks are afraid to get near the Dominican Republic coast because Dominicans shoot them. LOL. At least they used to. I don't know about now since I think that most of them are now an endangered species.

My customer friends husband swam in the Tampa Bay Inlet, and seen her husband, literally get chomped in half. :cry: :cross-eye :cross-eye

I do not go in the water, for that reason. Maybe jaws had something to do also. :cry:

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
I thinks the real sharks and in the bars as Mirador said...

The only sharks i heard about are close to Puerto Rico waiting for Dominican meat... lol

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Never heard of a shark attack around here.
I knew a diver who worked for Northern Coast diving center for 3 years, and still hadn't managed to see a single shark.

May 31, 2005
Loidin said:
I thinks the real sharks and in the bars as Mirador said...

The only sharks i heard about are close to Puerto Rico waiting for Dominican meat... lol
All jokes aside, I did hear that el canal de la mona (between PR and DR) is the most shark infested area in the DR. But I never hear about shark attacks. That's why I say that maybe they are afraid of Dominican people.

May 31, 2005
easygoin said:
My customer friends husband swam in the Tampa Bay Inlet, and seen her husband, literally get chomped in half. :cry: :cross-eye :cross-eye

I do not go in the water, for that reason. Maybe jaws had something to do also. :cry:
I don't like to go in the water either. I will go in the shallow part but one time I saw in the news that the sharks were close to the shore. I would much rather wait to go to the Dominican Republic to go to the beaches. :nervous:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have googled this many times...and dont find much info about shark attacks in the DR. an earlier poster joked about how they are wainting off the coast of PR for fresh Dominican meat.....and joke aside....that is the only place i have heard of shark attacks in the vicinity.

I guess i am sorta curious about this phenom....since i spend the majority of my time in the water while in the DR. I usualy have mask and snorkle on tho...so i guess i would see one coming...not that it would do any good.

so..does anyone have any real data/facts on sharks in the DR and the Carib?

just curious here

jj

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
jrzyguy said:
an earlier poster joked about how they are wainting off the coast of PR for fresh Dominican meat.....and joke aside....that is the only place i have heard of shark attacks in the vicinity.

Now don't go and take my word for it, you can go and check it out with your friendly neighborhood oceanographer/marine biologist. According to experts, sharks are scavangers, they feed only on dead flesh, and they don't go for 'fresh Dominican meat'. Every year there're two or three very publisized cases of shark attacks on humans, in Australia, Hawaii, and Florida, not more than five cases are reported yearly worldwide. Something you do have to worry are alien abductions.

Interesting facts:

1) There are an average of 70,000 reported UFO sightings every year, worldwide. That's an average of 192 per day.
2) No UFO has ever been tracked on radar entering the Earth's atmosphere.
3) 1 in 5 Americans believe in alien abductions. Interestingly, males are more likely to believe in abductions than females.
4) 1 in 7 Americans say that they, or someone they know, have had an "encounter" with a UFO.
5) According to some UFO aficionados, the Men in Black (MIBs) really do exist, and have been hammering on the doors of alien witnesses ever since the first appearance of flying saucers in 1947.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
If I remember my days at Woods Hole correctly, sharks were often referred to as opportunistic feeders. Slow movers might be the first target but then they also like to chase seals. Maybe it's the luck of the draw....aka opportunity for the shark. I've seen many around the offshore oil rigs in Texas while diving but we each respected our territory.

UFO's reminded me of C.S. Lewis, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

smoky

Jul 6, 2005
I?ve seen one shark, catched outside the riff in Las Galeras, two years ago.
And you can hear that they have sharks outside from Nagua, but in the open sea, never on the coast. And I agree with MIRADOR: you can find a hell of sharks like motoconcho-shark, taxista-shark, animationteam-sharks, real-estate shark (really big one), puta shark and for shure the sankie-shark. So please: never go on land in the DR!

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
smoky said:
I?ve seen one shark, catched outside the riff in Las Galeras, two years ago.
And you can hear that they have sharks outside from Nagua, but in the open sea, never on the coast. And I agree with MIRADOR: you can find a hell of sharks like motoconcho-shark, taxista-shark, animationteam-sharks, real-estate shark (really big one), puta shark and for shure the sankie-shark. So please: never go on land in the DR!

AGREEEEE!!

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I would've thought different

maybe there isn't enough food to keep them around? I read posts on fishing, no one really seems to say that fishing is that great. would seem to me that there would be more sharks around the island? But I still find it hard to believe, about so few attacks. Maybe there just eating up all the Haitians? :eek:

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
easygoin said:
maybe there isn't enough food to keep them around? I read posts on fishing, no one really seems to say that fishing is that great. would seem to me that there would be more sharks around the island? But I still find it hard to believe, about so few attacks. Maybe there just eating up all the Haitians? :eek:

Honestly i would pay the sharks to eat the haitians but they dont eat that kind of meat... Dominicans are fishing in TCI and Bahamas, we re really predators, even sharks dont swim around us!! Lord!!!

I think those fishers never heard about the Enviromental Care... and leaving something for tomorrow... just look what they fish in Maimon, those fishes have the stamp "Born in International Waters"

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"sharks to eat the haitians" LOW BLOW! :tired:

Many years ago the fisherman brought one up to the beach in Juan Dolio, people gathered around and watch has he hammered the shark's teeth out and than put the tooth-less shark back in the sea! :cry:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I agree really bad joke!

That's disgusting regarding the shark how horrible :cry:

juanita said:
"sharks to eat the haitians" LOW BLOW! :tired:

Many years ago the fisherman brought one up to the beach in Juan Dolio, people gathered around and watch has he hammered the shark's teeth out and than put the tooth-less shark back in the sea! :cry:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Many years ago the fisherman brought one up to the beach in Juan Dolio, people gathered around and watch has he hammered the shark's teeth out and than put the tooth-less shark back in the sea!

Juanita, those fishermen must have been U.S. tourists. No Dominican fisherman worth his/her salt would throw back into the sea an expensive delicacy such as shark meat (exposure to high levels of mercury aside).

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Below is a link to the International Shark Attack Files. Some interesting information. I have heard references to 'provoked' attacks, and used to wonder if that was when someone poked a shark with a stick. This site provides more info.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/ISAF/ISAF.htm