Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New & hopefully moving

Good Morning, I am new to this Forum. My name is Elizabeth and I hope to gan some knowledge about moving to the DR. I have so many questions.I have been scouring the forums looking for answers. So I will just start by asking a few!
    Is it cheaper to buy a car in the DR or bring your own?
    We will be looking for work as realtors,(me and my husband) he already is one, and I am studying now. Do anyone know if they hire American realtors?
    Thank you very much for any and all responses!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Century 21,and Remax are both here.

Find out what you can about them BEFORE you come.Good Luck.CCCCCCCCc

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bienvenido!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth727
    Good Morning, I am new to this Forum. My name is Elizabeth and I hope to gan some knowledge about moving to the DR. I have so many questions.I have been scouring the forums looking for answers. So I will just start by asking a few!
    Is it cheaper to buy a car in the DR or bring your own?
    We will be looking for work as realtors,(me and my husband) he already is one, and I am studying now. Do anyone know if they hire American realtors?
    Thank you very much for any and all responses!
    Cars in the US are cheaper, but you will have to factor in the cost & headache of shipping a late model vehicle. I think AZB is selling a beat up toyota for a good price

Real-Estate, speak to Escott, he's the guru! I am assuming your husband can speak spanish and is willing to learn the terrain.

Oh yeah, where in the DR are you looking to relocate?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you've been to the DR many times and know what city you'd like to settle in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo900
    Cars in the US are cheaper, but you will have to factor in the cost & headache of shipping a late model vehicle. I think AZB is selling a beat up toyota for a good price

Real-Estate, speak to Escott, he's the guru! I am assuming your husband can speak spanish and is willing to learn the terrain.

Oh yeah, where in the DR are you looking to relocate?
    Possibly the Puerto Plata, Sosua area. Looking for an area where there will be lots of activity, (real Estate)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Coniglio
    I'm assuming you've been to the DR many times and know what city you'd like to settle in?
    Hi Anna,

No unbelievable as it may seem, we have only been there once. But I think it will fit our requirements. Low cost housing, low cost of living....etc.. not looking to live in the United States, I understand that it is not the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anna,

No unbelievable as it may seem, we have only been there once. But I think it will fit our requirements. Low cost housing, low cost of living....etc.. not looking to live in the United States, I understand that it is not the US.
    we are looking for a change, from the USA. Something simpler and less complicated. We used to own a house in Honduras, and it was simply heaven when we were there.

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anna,

Only been there once? Unless that visit involved living there outside of a tourist complex for quite a period, you really then don't know nearly enough yet to be planning a move there.

I'm married to a Dominican, speak fluent Spanish and I went to the DR for long, non-tourist visits (family) every year for nine years before moving there, and the moving and living experience was still much different than I had assumed it would be beforehand.

And I sure hope you and/or your husband speak Spanish.
    Last edited by Keith R; 07-11-2005 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typos

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Anna,

My friend don't pack yet till you go back many more times and have many connections. Living cheap is if you want to live in a shack and eat rice and beans. If you want anything remotely close to NA living it costs more than you might think.

Go back and talk to the Real Estate companies. You need to know the country and how to get around in it.

Where did you stay when you went? Was it an All Inclusive? Did you get out at all and see the real country?

Hopefully you've read all that's here

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23103

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Research

There are plenty of threads that pertain to this topic, search your butt-off and come back with very specific questions, best to learn it here, than there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast