When to visit?

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
I'm planning to travel the world from August 2006.

First I'm going to Costa Rica, from there to Brazil, Venezuela, through the entire Carribean. Last but least to New Zealand, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands and French Polynesia (Tahiti).

When I'm going through the Carribean islands, I want to stay in the Dominican Republic for a month or so. I was in Sosu? in July 2001, and I want to stay there again or in Cabarete.

So my question is, when would be the best time to visit if I don't want to risk getting it ruined by hurricanes?

Regards,

Jimmi

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi Jimmi, please take a look in the weather forum.
The North Coast have not been hit by a hurricane for decades, and before that I don?t know.
Just come and enjoy!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
carina said:
The North Coast have not been hit by a hurricane for decades, and before that I don?t know.
Just come and enjoy!
While the north coast hasn't been hit by a hurricane, if one is in the general area, it could mean quite a bit of rain.

Jimmi, I believe hurricane season runs from June through October.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
HI Jimmi, First: can I come with you please???? Sounds like an amazing trip....

To avoid the largest risk, I would suggest avoiding august, september and into mid october. That appears to be the most likely time to be hit or effected by tropical storms. Also it tends to be the hottest most humid time of year.

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
Thanks all for your replies. You've been most helpfull.

Sure, come along ;). I'm looking so much forward to it, and I've sold my car so I can start saving some money cause it won't be cheap :). But it will be a lifetime experience, so it's worth it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
carina said:
Just come and enjoy!

We had tropical storm force winds close to hurricane strength last fall but yes, the north coast via its geography and location tends to avoid these storms which are most common in August/September/October.