MetroBus for Santo Domingo?

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) is a time and cost-saving public transportation system in which large buses occupy only their own, separate lanes usually in the middle of the roads, and travel only to designated bus stations - it's like a subway system, but above ground and with buses. Cities such as Seattle, M?xico, D.F., Curitiba, Brasil; Santiago de Chile, Bogot?, Colombia...etc either have or are constructing similar projects. Do you think such a system should be constructed instead of the proposed Metro Train for Santo Domingo? To read more about the BRT system and Latin America, go to my blog: TresCaminos

May 31, 2005
See. I didn't even know that they had a system like that. I like that more than the train. Definitely. I will go to your blog and read more about it. Thanks. :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In Case You Missed It,and you seem to have!

As predicted on DR1,the "METRO" has long since been "de-railed"!
As far as the "Busses" go,Out of about 300 that "Hipolito" bought,50 were running when "Leonel" was re-elected!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wonder

Could we introduce the word MAINTENENCE into the Dominican public sector?

The hydro dams, any buses, well, anything, the government has ever bought is kaput! within 1/2 of it's life expectancy....

My all-time favorite is the Falconbridge power generations units, all three of them are over 25 years old and all three are capable of running at 10% over rating for days on end....

WHY? M A I N T E N E C E

HB :D:D

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
Criss Colon said:
As predicted on DR1,the "METRO" has long since been "de-railed"!
As far as the "Busses" go,Out of about 300 that "Hipolito" bought,50 were running when "Leonel" was re-elected!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

I already knew that the planned Metro for Santo Domingo was up in the air. I'm just asking whether a MetroBus would be more suitable for the Capital instead of any other huge, expensive public works project like a heavy or light rail train if or when it ever gets constructed. Anyway, public Transportation is very important for any urban economic development.

Apr 26, 2002
Antillano said:

I already knew that the planned Metro for Santo Domingo was up in the air. I'm just asking whether a MetroBus would be more suitable for the Capital instead of any other huge, expensive public works project like a heavy or light rail train if or when it ever gets constructed.
That depends. Who would the suppliers be? Who are their Dominican partners? At what level of the PLD? Any cash up front to be shared? Will the supplier's country of origin (import/export bank) provide financing, or will World Bank money be required? Of that, how much will go to the project and how much into people's pockets? Perhaps bonds? Again, what commissions and to whom? Brokers' fees? Lobbyists? Middlemen? No strings or international monitoring, please. Depending on your answers to the above, this could be a good idea.

P.S. Please don't bore us with the relative costs and functionalities of MetroBus. And don't worry about the maintenance budget. Nobody else ever does.

Last edited:

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
P.S. Please don't bore us with the relative costs and functionalities of MetroBus. And don't worry about the maintenance budget. Nobody else ever does.

I'm not trying to bore anybody nor do I care about maintenance costs or whether Santo Domingo builds a Metrobus, a train Metro, or whatever. Just trying to make a discussion to an interesting topic.

Apr 26, 2002
Antillano said:
I'm not trying to bore anybody nor do I care about maintenance costs or whether Santo Domingo builds a Metrobus, a train Metro, or whatever. Just trying to make a discussion to an interesting topic.
Such words as "sarcasm" or "cynicism" where you're from, partner?

May 31, 2005
Antillano said:
If you don't care whether Santo Domingo builds a Metrobus than just stop the topic. This is for people that actually care about the Dominican Republic.

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
If you don't care whether Santo Domingo builds a Metrobus than just stop the topic. This is for people that actually care about the Dominican Republic.

Do I have to care that Santo Domingo builds a MetroBus? Does that mean that I don't care about DR? Do I have to care about Santo Domingo to care about DR? LOL So all those who are against the train Metro for Santo Domingo are anti-Dominican? lol I really don't care what Santo Domingo builds to solve its traffic problems, just as long as the traffic problems are solved. You interpreted my post wrong. LOL

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Unless I'm not getting the big picture here, wasn't that the original plan with the OHMSA buses? They had their own lane, their own stops, etc but that pretty much all went down the drain because people here don't like to respect order. People kept parking in the lane, they actually had the buses going the wrong way on one way streets (ex. Independencia) which was changed after too many people crashed into them (the bus drivers seemed to find it fun running over other cars...) and like Hillbilly mentioned, there appeared to be no maintenance plan to keep them rolling. Unfortunately, in this country if the big bosses aren't makig money out of something, they'd just rather let it go to waste and start over from scratch and make big bucks. In the 9 years I've been in this country that mentality has changed very little and I doubt that it'll be changing any time soon, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! lol

Apr 26, 2002
KateP said:
Unless I'm not getting the big picture here, wasn't that the original plan with the OHMSA buses? They had their own lane, their own stops, etc but that pretty much all went down the drain because people here don't like to respect order.
Not really. On a recent trip to Quito, I saw this metrobus in action. It's a triple articulated bus that doesn't just run in its own lane but has multiple broad elevated doors that unload at designated elevated covered stations. The systems in Quito runs on both electric and diesel. Each articulated "bus" hold something like 150 passengers. It works quite well and is, I would imagine, fairly cost effective and efficient.

However, Quito is a less anarchistic City overall than Santo Domingo. It would take a real forceful effort to make it work here.