The DR's Best City To Live In...

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
What is the best city in the Dominican Republic to live in after retirement, weighing all of its' positives and negatives?

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
mmmmm.....

Very good question !

12 sleeps to DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ....... ! !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You really want to stir the pot, don't you young lady!!???

Obviously, you have to take into consideration just what lifestyle you are persuing.

If you like large cities, then Santo Domingo is where they sign all the checks and where everything is happening. If you are comfortably wealthy, then La Romana may well be your spot or Guavaberry....

If you like cities but also a little quality of life, vis ? vis, cultural activities, restaurants, clubs, golf and other retirement activities as well as more active sports, then Santiago might be good.

If you want to be with other foreigners who are looking for a pleasant retirement, then the North Shore-read POP-Sos?a-Cabarete-R?o San Juan.-- might be just right.

If you want to get away "from the madding crowd", then look to places like Jarabacoa, San Jose de las Matas, El Rubio, Monci?n, Mao, Monte Cristi, La Vega, Villa Trina, Guananico, Mamey or a hundred other small villages or smaller cities....You can sort of "drop off the map."

HB
Each of the choices has good points and bad.

holacanada

Sep 8, 2004
mmmmm.....

I've been 5 times in DR and PUERTO plata appears to me as a wonderful city to retire in. Hope you find what you are looking for.

MEAN WHILE, I WISH you have a very good time.

Holacanada

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Obviously, you have to take into consideration just what lifestyle you are persuing.

If you like large cities, then Santo Domingo is where they sign all the checks and where everything is happening. If you are comfortably wealthy, then La Romana may well be your spot or Guavaberry....

If you like cities but also a little quality of life, vis ? vis, cultural activities, restaurants, clubs, golf and other retirement activities as well as more active sports, then Santiago might be good.

If you want to be with other foreigners who are looking for a pleasant retirement, then the North Shore-read POP-Sos?a-Cabarete-R?o San Juan.-- might be just right.

If you want to get away "from the madding crowd", then look to places like Jarabacoa, San Jose de las Matas, El Rubio, Monci?n, Mao, Monte Cristi, La Vega, Villa Trina, Guananico, Mamey or a hundred other small villages or smaller cities....You can sort of "drop off the map."

HB
Each of the choices has good points and bad.

Thanks HB. I didn't know I was stepping on fallow ground asking that question. I've read a lot of posts that mentioned different cities, and wanted to know which the natives thought were the best to settle down in. Your post was clear and concise (I like that)!

Yvette

May 31, 2005
Gosh, my retirement is a long way off. I'm only 22 but I do want to be in the DR when I retire. I'm not sure which city. My family is in the Santo Domingo, Haina, and San Cristobal area.

Last edited: