Earthquake Alarm.........

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
.........my earthquake alarm keeps going off tonight and the house shook pretty good about 20 minutes ago.....anyone else feel it? .....there it goes again....Costambar POP.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
POP Bad Boy said:
.........my earthquake alarm keeps going off tonight and the house shook pretty good about 20 minutes ago.....anyone else feel it? .....there it goes again....Costambar POP.

Yepp, I felt it too... same time... My computer table started to shake and my dog went under the bed!
I checked on the internet, but found nothing so far on
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Maps/region/N_America_eqs.html

Was just going to post and ask if anyone else felt it---

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Felt it too in Sosua and the Quake alarm went on a few seconds AFTER we felt it. :tired:

May 31, 2005
Wow. I didn't even know that they had an earthquake alarm. Does it ring before, during, or after the earthquake?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It detects P waves which reach faster than the S waves which you feel. Theoretically, a strong quake about 100 miles away should give you approx 20-30 secs warning (if I remember correctly the write up on it). Small quakes close to you - you almost get no warning. Depth of the quake also plays a factor.

I bought my alarm two years ago after the sept.22nd quake and it worked good with the aftershocks, giving a few secs warning.

During the tremor a few days ago my it went off towards the end of the shaking, which was strange. Maybe the battery needs to be replaced since its been in there over a year.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
alarms

Sounds cute. I wonder how much, if anything, a person can do in a sudden crisis other then saying " oh ****!! ".

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Once you been through the terror of a big quake, the aftershocks, and all the false alarms that go with them (powerplant firing up, jet airplane, truck going down the road, dog scratching himself and hitting bed, etc) you will find that it actually gives you peace of mind.

Also, by the volume and consistency of the alarm bell, you can tell if its going to be a small tremor or a big one.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
JDJones said:
What did it cost? Did you buy it here, or in the states?

I would be interested in buying one myself.

JD

There are for sure many different kinds. Mine was 900 pesos about a year ago. I bought mine in Santiago.
I know someone is selling them around Montellano too, maybe someone knows?