Dominican Emigration to Puerto Rico

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
As you all might know, every day dozens of Dominicans ride yolas across the Mona Passage into Puerto Rico. Those who are not found and deported back, either stay in PR or pretend to be Puerto Ricans and head towards the mainland USA. Today there are hundreds of thousands of Dominicans in Puerto Rico, (I've read many numbers, from 100,000 to 500,000) the largest immigrant population on the island.

Although reasons for emigration for the Dominican might seem obvious, what are other, specific reasons do you think they emigrate? Why do you think these Dominicans stay in Puerto Rico instead of going to the wealthier mainland USA? What are the principals provinces and towns these Dominican immigrants come from?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Antillano said:
Why do you think these Dominicans stay in Puerto Rico instead of going to the wealthier mainland USA?
They will be stopped by immigration (and sent back to the DR) as soon as they attempted to board an airline to the US mainland.:(

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Flying from Puerto Rico to the U.S. you do not go through Immigration. They will however have to show some U.S. ID to the ticket agent of the airline.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
SKY said:
Flying from Puerto Rico to the U.S. you do not go through Immigration. They will however have to show some U.S. ID to the ticket agent of the airline.
You are correct, you do not go through immigration, but there are are INS agents everywhere (or there were the last time I flew thru SJU) looking for illegals trying to fly to the mainland. They will scrutinize any Latino not traveling without proper travel documents; even though a passport is not required for travel.

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
rellosk said:
They will be stopped by immigration (and sent back to the DR) as soon as they attempted to board an airline to the US mainland.:(

Do you know how easy it is to get a fake island ID? I have a friend who got one for $25 in Carolina, lol. However, getting false birth certificates and other IDs are a little more difficult and expensive, but possible. With those false document, then all a Dominican needs to do is change their accent or speak English and they can go through. Thousands have done so.

What do you all think about those Puerto Ricans who rather have all the Dominicans rounded-up and sent back to DR?

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
Not just a fake island ID. Fake IDs all over the US.

One can get a fake ID fairly easy from any of the 50 U.S. states, (When did I dispute that fact?) however, that's not the point of my post. An illegal Dominican immigrant would not object to going to the USA simply because he/she might be stopped at the airport because, as one poster stated, he/she does not have ID, because the illegal would could easily obtain one. (Arguably easier than any state ID) Again, you misinterpet my post, lol.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Antillano said:
An illegal Dominican immigrant would not object to going to the USA simply because he/she might be stopped at the airport because, as one poster stated, he/she does not have ID, because the illegal would could easily obtain one.
It's easy to get false ID to drink in a bar, but it's not that easy (as of late) to obtain fake ID that will pass muster of a random INS/CBP check.

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
rellosk said:
It's easy to get false ID to drink in a bar, but it's not that easy (as of late) to obtain fake ID that will pass muster of a random INS/CBP check.

LOL All you need is to know the right people and have the right amount of cash. Puerto Rico is a magical place, lol. Airport security in Carolina (Luis Mu?oz Mar?n International Airport) is very lax, especially when you're friendly, calm, and a Puerto Rican (or at least act like it, lol). All in all, its been done, its being done, and it can't be stopped. There.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I certainly agree that an INS check would be difficult to beat, but what about all the cruise ships that go to the U.S? This might be easier for them to get there.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Rellosk, you are right. I travel to PR every year and I always have to show ID to INS agents when trying to fly back to the mainland.

May 31, 2005
Antillano said:
One can get a fake ID fairly easy from any of the 50 U.S. states, (When did I dispute that fact?) however, that's not the point of my post. An illegal Dominican immigrant would not object to going to the USA simply because he/she might be stopped at the airport because, as one poster stated, he/she does not have ID, because the illegal would could easily obtain one. (Arguably easier than any state ID) Again, you misinterpet my post, lol.
I am not saying that you disputed anything. I was just adding that it is easy to get those all over the US. I know what you posted. Caramba!

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Antillano said:
Although reasons for emigration for the Dominican might seem obvious, what are other, specific reasons do you think they emigrate? Why do you think these Dominicans stay in Puerto Rico instead of going to the wealthier mainland USA? What are the principals provinces and towns these Dominican immigrants come from? [/COLOR]

Antillano, on a common sense level staying in PR is relatively easy since Dominicans can make a living there just like they can in the mainland. In fact, there are places in PR where lots of the small businesses are owned by Dominicans (I would think that these are legal immagrants though). But these business owners are going to be sympathetic to their fellow man and provide some employment. Also, illegal Dominicans in PR are not looked down on as much as they are in the mainland - afterall there are lots of cultural similarities between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
what can be worse go through the mona passage or through LUIS MUNOZ MARIN AIRPORT???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dominicans go though that airport everyday on their way to New York nothing can stop them get a simple ID the Puerto Rican Accent and you are free to go.

who the hell wants to stay in Puerto Rico? puerto Ricans are migrating to Mainland US everyday due to the lack of island resources.

YOUR MAJESTY

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Let me understand this

A few weeks ago my flight Las Americas to NY was cancelled.I took a flight to PR with a connection to NY. When I landed in PR I went thru immigration (and of course eliminated that procedure at Kennedy )
My question regarding this tread is--Are some posters suggesting that a Dominican that somehow gets to PR would then be able to get to the USA with simply phony ID? Wouln't the Dom. need a host of other papers? Visa? Passport etc,?

Sorry for my confusion on this but it seems to me that this phony ID thing is making something that is difficult very easy. Remember, I am carrying a US passport when I land in PR and passed thru immigration there with the same kind of scutiny that would be used if I was travelling direct to NY.

JOHN

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
johne said:
A few weeks ago my flight Las Americas to NY was cancelled.I took a flight to PR with a connection to NY. When I landed in PR I went thru immigration (and of course eliminated that procedure at Kennedy )
My question regarding this tread is--Are some posters suggesting that a Dominican that somehow gets to PR would then be able to get to the USA with simply phony ID? Wouln't the Dom. need a host of other papers? Visa? Passport etc,?

Sorry for my confusion on this but it seems to me that this phony ID thing is making something that is difficult very easy. Remember, I am carrying a US passport when I land in PR and passed thru immigration there with the same kind of scutiny that would be used if I was travelling direct to NY.

JOHN

John,

You went through immigration in Puerto Rico because you came from a non-USA territory or city to a US territory (Puerto Rico). But travel from Puerto Rico to the US is like travel from DC to NY, you don't go through customs or immigration. Before, many Dominicans took advantage of this, just get over to Puerto Rico and hop on a plane to the US, but now there are more scrutiny at the airport because of this.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Exactly

Stodgord said:
John,

You went through immigration in Puerto Rico because you came from a non-USA territory or city to a US territory (Puerto Rico). But travel from Puerto Rico to the US is like travel from DC to NY, you don't go through customs or immigration. Before, many Dominicans took advantage of this, just get over to Puerto Rico and hop on a plane to the US, but now there are more scrutiny at the airport because of this.

my point, but I thought reading some of these posts at some people think it would be easy entering the US with some phony .

JOHN

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
johne said:
my point, but I thought reading some of these posts at some people think it would be easy entering the US with some phony .

JOHN

I think the OP was referring to the illigal Dominicans that enter PR through the Mona passage by boat. I have heard of Dominicans paying Puerto Ricans for their birth certificates and getting PR driver's license. Once they get these ID they are able to travel to the US Mainland.

Antillano

Jun 10, 2005
trescaminos.blogspot.com
Stodgord said:
I have heard of Dominicans paying Puerto Ricans for their birth certificates and getting PR driver's license. Once they get these ID they are able to travel to the US Mainland.

That's absolutely true. Passports? As someone stated. PR is a USA territory, none needed if passing directly from a PR airport to the mainland USA without any side trips from foreign countries, like DR. I've never been sent through immigration, lol.

ERICKXSON said:
who the hell wants to stay in Puerto Rico? puerto Ricans are migrating to Mainland US everyday due to the lack of island resources.

There are a lack of many things on the island and it isn't perfect, but Puerto Ricans do not migrate from the island in the rate that Dominicans do or want to from DR or Mexicans from M?xico. Plus, its a circular migration, with Puerto Ricans leaving and coming back to the island - some say 50,000 a day. Plus, most Boricuas who migrate now are of the professional/skilled-worker class, most of which head towards Central Florida. They make a good-living with a comfortable life on the island, but they sometimes make twice as much on mainland without the political and social troubles of the island. Who wants to stay in PR? 100-500,000 Dominicans. As well as thousands of Argentines, Brazilians, Arabs, Chinese...etc Walking in Santurce is like walking in New York sometimes. ;)

DRPAWA said:
In fact, there are places in PR where lots of the small businesses are owned by Dominicans (I would think that these are legal immagrants though). But these business owners are going to be sympathetic to their fellow man and provide some employment. Also, illegal Dominicans in PR are not looked down on as much as they are in the mainland - afterall there are lots of cultural similarities between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans.

Most of those small Dominican businesses are probably in Villa Palmeras, Tras Talleres, and Barrio Obrero in Santurce where many Dominicans live. Also, you're right, illegal Dominican immigration is not looked as down as it is in USA, but despite cultural similarities, they are viewed as a problem and the island government is slowly gentrifying their neighborhoods while playing lip service as Dominican legitimize their residencies and vote in general elections (Most of them, sadly, tend to be pro-statehood).

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Antillano said:
That's absolutely true. Passports? As someone stated. PR is a USA territory, none needed if passing directly from a PR airport to the mainland USA without any side trips from foreign countries, like DR. I've never been sent through immigration, lol.

I know of a Dominican family who moved from NYC to Puerto Rico to be able to raise and discipline their kids without the authorities threatening to charge them with child abuse. I think the similarities in culture is what keeps the Dominicans in the PR regardless of how much money they can make in USA.

Puerto Ricans like to:
speak spanish
drink in public
listen and party to loud music
gather in groups
play dominoes
cockfights which is illegal in the US but not in PR.
and many other activities that Dominicans also shares.