July 14-18

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
Trip # 11

I arrived in Santiago via American at about 8 pm. Originally I had planned to enter the DR thru Las Americas (SDQ) aboard Continental but got bumped. As a result I was about 8 hours behind schedule. The first night ended up being a washout. What made it worse was that my luggage was in limbo.

After a three hour "nap" at Las Nubes in Moca I got some gas. Then I headed to a friend's house for a few hours. I had some coffeee and headed back to the airport to check on my luggage. No luck. I asked, "Do you think I will have my suitcases before I leave on Monday?". Their response was "Yes".

I then headed back to Moca to get some clothes and a bathing suit for my trip to Cabarete later that day. At Tienda Margarita I was able to get what I needed and after a final purchase of a single use camera I was off to La Costa Norte. Once I got onto the mountain road the rain started to really pick up. As a result I just took it slow and easy. It was still raining when I checked in at Apart Hotel Caracol Cabarete. I got into my room and took a nap. That night i drove west to Sosua to dine and soak in the nightlife there.

In Sosua I had a glass of mamajuana along with a spaghetti and fish dish. I forget the name of the restaurant but it was an "Italian" place. Then I headed over to Sosua Life to listen to some music, drink Presidente and people watch. At about 12:30 or so I called it a night. The drive back to Cabarete was uneventful. I just picked up some more drinks from the Esso. Including a just expired carton of LongLife Rica Orange Juice. The expiration date was July 14. Since it was only the night of the 15th that wasn't too bad but I only had a glass of OJ or two before I discovered the "bad" date.

In the morning I checked my accounts on the internet to learn that a withdrawal that I had attempted on my first night had been processed although I had not received my money. I then drove to the Codetel in Sosua to make my morning calls. After getting the branch telephone number from my house I called to inform my bank of the error. I was told that it would take 10 days to get provisional credit. OK. I then returned back to my hotel for a dip in the pool before breakfast. I also snapped a few photos. The pool water's temperature was just about perfect and I was regretting the fact that I was only staying there for a few hours more. After a few more laps I took a quick shower and got ready for breakfast at Caracol's Beach Club. I had a plate of fruit, a couple of fried eggs and bacon while watching the beach begin to come to life. It was truly a beautiful sight. After one more Presidente it was time to head back to Moca.

The ride back through the mountains was quite a bit faster than the afternoon before. Traffic was light and the sun was out the whole way. I think I made it back in less than an hour. I then went back to William's (my brother-in-law) house where I once again spoke with Continental personnel. They still had not located my luggage. After that pleasant conversation, I asked my cu?ado where could I get my vehicle washed. Then we headed to a couple of places that were not in action before heading back into Moca to car wash along Duarte. While waiting for my vehicle to be cleansed I called Eddy, another cu?ado, who came to meet us. After giving him a bear hug we planned to meet up again a little later at Gomez Diaz carwash in Santiago. Eddy claimed to have some business in Santiago and that he would see us there. On our way to Gomez Diaz William and I ran into a makeshift Police checkpoint. After showing that our documents were in order a plea was made for some "gas money". William shelled out a 20 peso note and we were on our way. William and I chose a table in the middle of the bar area and waited for Eddy. He arrived about 30 minutes later. Almost immediately he called a chica over and began a lengthy conversation. While there I got a shoeshine for 10 pesos. When I noticed the child trying to watch the Yankees-Red Sox game as he gave me the shoeshine. I then moved me chair so that he more easily the TV as he worked. He then did William's shoes as well. Soon after another
chica from San Jose de la Matas joined us. She then discussed the possibilty of my staying with her that evening. Although the offer was nice enough I decided against it. At 8 pm Eddy left with his new friend. After settling the bill William and I left, too. I headed back to Moca to drop off William and then found a place to eat on the highway back to Santiago. Then I headed off to Dreamland.

To be continued..........

May 31, 2005
Hope you found your luggage. It's refreshing to see that you were able to have fun and enjoy yourself after not having the luggage.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Caracol

So you liked ApartHotel Caracol !! My parents have been going there for the past 10 years (3-4months) each time.. They are already planning for next January. Been there twice myself. I just love it as it's not a big hotel and not crowdy.. You're right having breakfast at the Beach club is just the best.
Can't wait to go back.. I love everybody on the staff.

Neil de CT

Jul 3, 2005
Las Nubes

Moca said:
After a three hour "nap" at Las Nubes in Moca...

I've done a little searching on places to stay in Moca, but haven't had any success in finding any. Is Las Nubes a hotel? motel? cabana? Is it a decent place to stay for a night? Do you have information on the price and location?

I'm enjoying your report and looking forward to the next installment.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Las Nubes

It is a cabana. It is only about 400 pesos but I would not recommend it other than for the normal cabana activities.

JD

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
Part Two

Sunday morning, July 17.

I started my last full day of my trip in Santiago and had brunch at Pollo Victorina. After my belly was full I headed back to Moca and spent the day in Juan Lopez. It was a realxing day. At night I went to a friend's whose home is on the Carretera Moca a La Vega. I brought over a docena of Presidentes and had three of them before calling it a night.

That night I didn't realize I had a mosquito net nearby. I went to sleep with just a sheet over my body. Bad move. I woke up with about 20 bites over my left arm.

On Monday morning I headed into Moca to pick up some gifts for my return to the US. I picked up a 1750 ml bottle of King's Label, Cafe Santo Domingo and some sweets. Then I said my goodbyes. First in Juan Lopez to my in-laws, then to my friends in Moca. As I was running behind I thought I wouldn't have time to deposit some of my extra pesos in my Banco Popular account in Moca. When I arrived at the airport I saw a Jafra consultant of mine in New Jersey who had been visiting her family in Cotui and Santiago. She informed me that are flight was delayed one hour. I later learned this was due to bad weather in Newark. This ended up being a good break. I used the extra time to visit the Banco Popular branch at the airport. I made a deposit, got a new ATM card and attempted to fix my online banking signon. The latter still continues to be a problem. ARGHH. Then I visited the Calling Center and let my wife know that my flight was delayed. I also called my sister-in-law in the capital who I did not get to see on this trip. Then it was only an uneventful trip thru immigration and another pleasant Continental flight.