Project to Bring ML Baseball Spring Training to DR

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
i am putting the finishing touches on a business plan to bring major league baseball back to my city here in canada. without giving too much away, part of that plan includes establishing spring training facilities for the 3 canadian major baseball franchises in the dominican republic. yes, 3 canadian teams is also part of the plan. if you're interested, then just reply to this thread that you're "interested". if there's enough interest then i will ask the moderator to post the word document on the thread. i should have it completed by summer's end. it's been a 3 year project. fyi i have a sports bar in las galeras with the walls full of famous dominican ball players so i'd have to say it's kind of a passion.

by the way, i don't want any negativity about bringing mlb back to my city. read the plan and i guarantee that it will fascinate you. and if you have any questions, i will answer them all.

below is a teaser....:

Why Bring Back Major League Baseball to Montreal?

Part I / Taxes

Before I begin this study, let me say that the proposal to finance a new Expos Major League Baseball team and its new stadium will come solely from individuals ? and not from government. Having said that however, the governments of Montreal, Quebec and Canada cannot afford to lose out on the tax revenue generated by the home team and visiting team players and staff, the out of town fans and sales generated at the stadium.

The so-called ?Jock Tax? was introduced in 1991 by the State of California after the Chicago Bulls had defeated the Los Angeles Lakers. It is a tax on all visiting players and is now charged by almost all the major league sports teams in the United States as well as the Calgary Flames of the NHL. As far as my research has taken me, I do not see that either the Federal Government or Quebec Provincial Governments had been applying this tax to the visiting major league baseball players prior to the departure of the Montreal Expos.

For more information see a study by Waterloo University and the Accounting firm KPGM on whether or not provinces in Canada should apply the ?Jock Tax?:

French version http://www.ctf.ca/pdf/04ctjpdf/04ctj2-macnaughton.pdf

English version http://info.wlu.ca/~wwwsbe/sbe2000/html/special_events/cma_speaker_series/alan_invite.pdf

Study Finds "Jock Taxes" Continue Spreading to Non-Jock Professions
http://www.taxfoundation.org/press_releases/2004-7-9_Jocktax.html

If Quebec were to apply a ?Jock Tax? of 9% on 25 visiting professional baseball players over 81 home games per season (not to mention pre-season or playoff games); and each of those professional ball players makes on average U$2 million each or approximately U$10,000 per game (from spring training to the end of the baseball regular season), then the amount of tax collected would be in the area of C$2.25 million annually or a quarter of a billion dollars compounded over 25 years at10%! (By the way, I will use the figure of 25 years even though we had our Expos for 35 years. The last 10 years were futile and out of character with the very successful franchise up until the strike of 1994.)

Let us not forget the tax revenue from the home team?s players. A 40% tax rate on each player earning approximately $1,927,100 ($2 million less 81 away games ?jock-taxed? at 9%) would be approximately C$950,000 of government tax revenue for each player or almost C$24 million in tax revenue annually. That?s almost C$3 billion compounded over 25 years at 10%!

Typically a major league team will have an additional 200 staff in the Front Office, Management, Marketing, Scouting etc. (for more info about a major league team?s costs see http://www.askmen.com/sports/business/14b_sports_business.html ) If that?s another C$10 million annually in local, full-time, year-round salaries, say on average of $50,000 each, then that?s another C$500 million compounded over 25 years at 10%!

In perspective then, over the next 25 years we, the taxpayers, will have missed out on almost C$4 billion on compounded tax collections!

Seeing it from another angle, note what some of the Expos? players and a fraction of the ?visiting? players were taxed by the Puerto Rican government (and no Canadian government) in 2003 during the Expos 22 games played there rather than at home in Montreal:
Show them the
A look at what the top 10 taxed players will pay in Puerto Rican tax, based on 210 days duty:

Player Team Salary/game Gms Total tax
Vladimir Guerrero Expos $ 54,762 22 $240,944
Fernando Tatis Expos $ 30,952 22 $130,944
Javier Vazquez Expos $ 28,571 22 $125,708
Jose Vidro Expos $ 26,190 22 $115,236 Orlando Hernandez Expos $ 19,524 22 $ 85,910* Livan Hernandez Expos $ 16,666 22 $ 73,326 Orlando Cabrera Expos $ 14,762 22 $ 69,146
Mo Vaughn Mets $ 81,429 4 $ 65,143
Alex Rodriguez Rangers $104,762 3 $ 62,857
Mike Piazza Mets $ 74,286 4 $ 59,428

*May pay less, currently on the disabled list

? info from By Darren Rovell of ESPN.com

The above tax revenue is C$11 million over 25 years compounded at 10% for only 10 players playing a total of 165 games - and that?s without the other 18 Expo players and 547 other ?visiting? non-Expos players.

In 2004, the Expos played another 22 games in Puerto Rico and our governments lost out on similar tax revenue.

To put this all into perspective then, just the tax dollars created by salaries over a 25-year period would be almost equal to Quebec?s present value of Fonds de solidarit? FTQ. And how many Quebec jobs could, say, an additional C$3 billion in the fund create over a 25-year span if the provincial government were to invest the revenue from the baseball-related salaries directly to Fonds de solidarit? FTQ? Well, about $3 billion more worth of jobs and investments then there are now. Just consider that the Quebec government has recently offered Bombardier assistance with a $750 million loan from taxpayers. Well, the $3 billion injected and compounded over 25 years into the Fonds de solidarit? FTQ from baseball-related salaries would be the equivalent of 4 Bombardier bailouts and not cost the local taxpayers a dime!

Later we shall touch on tax renvue from tickets, parking, concessions, hotel stays, gas purchased and property taxes.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I'd be interested in reading the document, although I must admit, I'm extremely skeptical of baseball returning, for obvious reasons.

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
that's cool. you ever been to mtl? saw an expos game? love to hear about your experience.

interested in major league baseball spring training in the dr? trust me, it will happen. called "insourcinging" when 1 out of 7 major league ballplayers is close to home, maybe.

by the way, preposed ipo will take place just b4 "World Series of Baseball" this spring, a few weeks before DR takes 1st ever title, hombre!

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I have been to Montreal, but never went to a game. Montreal was hurt by the 1994 strike and also being beat by the Dodgers in 1981.

As for spring training in DR, they did have a game a few years back between the Astros and Pirates, but nothing much after that. I remember sending a letter to Selig's office inquiring why we have had games played in Japan and Mexico, but none in the country that produces the 2nd highest number of baseball players, DR. I never received a response from the MLB offices.

BrasdeLait

Mar 13, 2005
exactly

that is part of the plan. when 1 of 7 major league players decides to strike, there is strength in numbers. even more when alot of them want to invest in their own country by investing in this stock.

the Bradley Plan calls for the replacement of canada's foreign aid to dom rep and haiti to be replaced by a retirement fund for mlb players playing in the 3 major league baseball cities in canada. do old latino ball players have a retirement plan now? sure, it's called, "hope for the best and live in milwaukee as long as i can so my old dominican friends don't find me"

so the up-front money is an investment to replace foreign aid. those other hundreds of million dollars presently invested by canada into foreign aid in these 2 countries that share an island can be further invested, say for example in haiti, to ensure it's progress. i'm telling you, from God's lips to my fingertips, it's a brilliant plan. not only to bring back our team but mucho more. it's friggin excitin'! ;)