Wouldnt it be cool to have detailed maps of the DR here on DR1!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I agree...just yesterday, someone asked me to try find one for them when I am next down there in a few weeks!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Conchman said:
Its often difficult to find good maps of the DR. It would be cool if DR1 had a menu to access road maps and town maps.

We have looked at this a few times in the past, plus produced a few custom maps for clients.

Producing maps is no easy task, it requires good map data, lots of time and plenty of $$$.

Fortunately for our visitors a new project involves using maps of the DR.
So expect to see "simplified" maps on DR1 at sometime in the future.

For good street level maps of Santo Domingo and Santiago use http://iruta.net

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
A local gas station...

such as ESSO or TEXACO sells a highway map of the DR with insets of a few of the principal cities. Maps of the smaller cities and provinces only exist as specialized government maps used primarily by the military and other governmental entities. They are available from the government in Santo Domingo. When my webmaster and I were building SamanaOnline several years ago, we looked all over and could not find an inexpensive source (other than stealing them from other online sites which is what many websites have done). As a result, the Maps section of the SamanaOnline Menu is still blank.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
i would love to see city level maps.... fantastic idea.

in the meantime, i use the one that the ministry of tourism produces for the POP area. It's not great, but it's good 'nuff. you can pick it up for free at their office in POP (long beach) or in Cabarete.

I get a dozen or so at a time for clients, etc. Nice people in the office.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Go to any AI resort gift shop. Most carry the Berndtson & Berndtson, a plastic covered DETAIL map plus all major city inserts. This map is 10.95 US but well worth it. Bought one last year in PC, have also seen them in Playa Dorada.
This is the kind of map you hold on to with your life, I had 2 vanish in thin air before putting a lock on the 3rd.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I have a map of Distrito Nacional (Greater Santo Domingo) that is about 8 feet by 5 feet. It's huge and I keep it on the wall in my apartment. I got it from an Italian buddy who was here doing some consulting with the DR Public Works. It has just about every street in SD on it. I'm not kidding. All of the little side streets that make up the capital are there. When people give me an address I can ALWAYS find the street on the map. If anyone can figure out how to copy it (paper or computer scan), I am more than willing to share. I couldn't live without it.

Scandall
Professor of Cartography