DVD players in DR

watulookin@

Aug 2, 2005
Good day....

Can anyone advise me of the type of DVD players commonly used in DR (Santo Domingo), I want to send a DVD to my friend, but unsure if it will work. Are they Region 1, 2 or multi???

If anyone know the best and safest way to mail them, i would appreciate your input. Im from the UK.

Thanks a lots

E

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We are the same as the US, as most DVD players are imported from the US or use their region code.

watulookin@

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks

Robert said:
We are the same as the US, as most DVD players are imported from the US or use their region code.

Thank you for the response its a great help - take care

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Universal dvd players

There are some brands that will play all regions.A couple of brands that I know for sure that will do it are Pioneer or Yamaha. Stay away from brands like Sony or any brand the has a stake in the recording industry.Another dvd that will do everything but is hard to find is Fortec.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
hifiman said:
There are some brands that will play all regions.A couple of brands that I know for sure that will do it are Pioneer or Yamaha. Stay away from brands like Sony or any brand the has a stake in the recording industry.Another dvd that will do everything but is hard to find is Fortec.

Important note I failed to mention in previous post. Most of the brands I mentioned you will need to go into the sevice menu and change your region. the Fortec you do not have to.A good technician will know how to do this.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
careful now

I know the continental European DVD system is Region code 2, PAL system (however France use SECAM system :tired: ) I'm not sure what the UK uses. Better check.

Here its Region code 1, NTSC system (as MrMike said) so even if you're playing your DVD's on a region code free/multi code DVD player you might not be able to watch them on the TV's down here as they are also NTSC system.

Re. sending DVD's down here you could go by regular mail: it'll only be about 3 months and stands a 50 % chance of succes if you pack them up so they won't show as dvd's or other valuable items (the postal workers have long fingers).
Use a courier service for safe delivery.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
The issue of PAL or SECAM has more to do with voltage now then before.With vhs Pal and Secam systems the speed of the tape passing across the video and audio heads were a a different rpm rate. Also the connections were slightly different.NTSC connections generally favour coaxial or composite video(rca)PAl and SECAM used bnc connection.Samsung was famous for their multi system vcr that would play all formats and hook up to european tvs,all that had to change was your voltage.So If he has a NTSC tv hooked up to a NTSC dvd, voltage is not an issue.Now if he had a european dvd player PAL and a tv that is NTSC he would need to change the voltage of the dvd player.