Volunteer Work

C

Coleen Jones

I'd like to get information on who to contact and how I can get involved in a community project in DR. I will have a 2-month vacation and would like to spend the 1st month volunteering in DR.

Would appreciate response.

Coleen

A

arcoiris

what field would you like to volunteer in? There is certainly plenty to do. Do you have a preference about religious or secular ministries? Do you prefer a certain area? Are you willing to work in an environment where you will be really roughing it? Or do you need to have the amenities of good hotel or apartmental facilities available to you? Do you speak Spanish? There are opportunities in healthcare, childcare, education, provisions to the poor in the cities and the countryside. There are groups to join with that are Catholic, Episcopalian, and secular. Let us know, and we would be happy to hook you up with a service group that suits you.

D

Dee DeMusis

Hi there, Coleen--

I have to echo what arcoiris said-- there are many , many organizations that will more than love you to come and assist themn with their work in the DR. I spent the equivanent of several years over there as a volunteer and the whole experience changed my life. The American Baptist International Ministries, Catholic organizations, Penetcostal, Adventist, Episcopalians, lutherans and many others are there. you might also try the Mennonite Central Committee[theie offices are in Akron, Pennsylvania].

The rewards will more than pay off..

Good luck--

Dee