Wyndham Tangerine Caberete

kingyd

Aug 11, 2005
We're coming out on 17th August, can't wait.

Is there anything we need to bring to make our stay more pleasurable.

Is life outside the resort really expensive, whats the cost of a meal / beer.

Any help is much appreciated thanks

DK

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
life outside resort

where are you coming from? cabarete is really nice and you can visit sosua as well. you'll enjoy yourselves...there is life outside of the resorts..price are ok..and the people on this board could probably tell you better than me where to go if your watching your dollars...

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It depends on how you define expensive. If you go to places where the locals eat it is relatively inexpensive. But there are many Tourist targeted establishments and you can pay higher prices. Depends what you are looking for.

But, make sure to get out of the resort. Get a sense of this country! YOu will love it. Bring things for the kids going back to school.

I am sure one of the board members in Cabarete can help you out. If no one else helps out, come into Puerto Plata, I will show you around....

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
I go to the Viva Tangerine in Cabarete every day. IMHO, it's a pretty nice place. Staff is very friendly and the beach/water is beautiful.

You are about a 10-15 minute walk down the beach to the 'touristy' area. Lots of restaurants, shops, bars, nightlife all right there. You can also take one of the ever-present taxis to this same location, not sure of the price, but it isn't much.

Gas station across the street, supermarket very close (not that you'll need it).

Sosua 12-15 minute drive away. Lot's of restaurants/night life there... pretty much EVERY thing you might be looking for.

Meals are less than 500 pesos, even at the touristy places. (I like "Lax" right there on the beach.)
Beer varies by bar (and sometimes bartender) at night. Not sure of the price.

Lot's of kite boarding in that location.

Also... check with guest services but over the last two weeks, they have been giving guests with flexible schedules a FREE (and I mean free no strings attached with free transportation) 3 day 2 night stay extension at either of the other two Viva resorts on the North Coast.

Let me know if you need anything more specific.

Tim

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Come down to the beach at around 06.30am any morning and say hi, (I'm the one with the 2 white dogs). You will be up that early as you'll need to go put your 'ownership' towels on the beach beds like all the other tourists!