US Verizon Wireless in the DR

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
I have Verizon Wireless in the US and am wondering if anyone has had experiance with roaming with them in the DR. What is the coverage like? How much does it cost to call the US?

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
US Verizon Wireless will roam here with minimal problems.

Calls cost approximately $1 Million dollars (US) per minute. Not a great option. I got nailed pretty heavily after a month of roaming. Fortunately, the baggage handlers at STI stole my US cell phone so I don't have that problem any more.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I believe..........

.........that the roaming rate is US .69 cents per minute and works well....just dial "1" before each number you call to the US. You can also receive your calls as long as the phone is on......and pay the .69 roaming rate......

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
POP Bad Boy said:
.........that the roaming rate is US .69 cents per minute and works well....just dial "1" before each number you call to the US. You can also receive your calls as long as the phone is on......and pay the .69 roaming rate......

it cost $0.69 if you make calls to DR numbers or if you
receive calls from DR or USA.

if you make calls to USA it costs around $3.00 (0.69 + 2+
LD charges).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are places here where you can buy used phones and rent phones. If you expect to be making/receiving a lot of calls, that would be cheaper than roaming with your US phone. Dominican companies, unlike those in the US, charge only for calls made.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Any Verizon Dominicana office will gladly put an 809, Dominican number on your CDMA phone from The States. You will not pay to receive calls. You use the prepaid phone cards for outbound calls. It takes a minute on the phone with Verizon back home to switch it back.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Didn't know about the $2.00 + surcharge.......

because I never use the roaming, but I do know that many phones are capable of having two phone numbers on them.......one on Nam 1 and one on Nam 2..... I use the same phone and have a verizon number from the US on one line and a Verizon number from the DR on the other line. I switch from one NAM to another depending where I am...

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
POP Bad Boy said:
because I never use the roaming, but I do know that many phones are capable of having two phone numbers on them.......one on Nam 1 and one on Nam 2..... I use the same phone and have a verizon number from the US on one line and a Verizon number from the DR on the other line. I switch from one NAM to another depending where I am...

that's cool... so right now you have vz wireless in the states
what kind of phone you have?
or any phone can do that?

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
It looks like probably the best way to stay in touch with the US through my Verizon cell phone is to get a prepaid calling card when im down there with an 809 number to only pay the 69 cents a minute instead of the extra long distance rates incured from Verizon Dominicana

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What city are you staying in, I will be happy to direct you to the closest Verizon office.

Estrella Sadhal? esquina Juan Pablo Duarte, about a 1/4 mile past The Gran Almirante on the opposite side of Sadhala is The main Santiago Office.

Last edited:

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
I will be staying in Santiago first then traveling to Santo Domingo. I just got off the phone with a Verizon Wireless CR rep and they told me the price per minute would be the 69 cents a minute plus an extra 10-15 cents for taxes. This is different than what other people have told me. Any ideas?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Try Tel3

nlove88 said:
It looks like probably the best way to stay in touch with the US through my Verizon cell phone is to get a prepaid calling card when im down there with an 809 number to only pay the 69 cents a minute instead of the extra long distance rates incured from Verizon Dominicana
Get your 809 area code programed as Tamborista explained to you. For the best long distance try Tel3. You buy 25US worth of time, they give you an extra 5US. Cost is 8.5 cents a min. You dial an 800 acess # then the # your calling. I puchased this via someones reccomendation on a previous thread that was similar to this one. Quality of the calls is excellent, and the price is right.
www.tel3advantage.com