One point of view about life in the DR (especially in Santo Domingo)

M

Mr.Mark

When people from this forum I'm starting to talk to ask me about what's so great about my country, what is it that defines us, what makes the DR unique and so on, I recurrently recall a peculiar observation I've made. This post is not about the Dominican geography, our beaches, our climate and/or our economy (though obviously all these have a strong correlation with what I'm about to point out).

The DR, as paradoxical and absurd as it may seem, is the land of comfort. What makes the DR stand out amongst other touristic destinations -some of which could be more exotic and even richer- is the fact that the DR is a place that you can call home. It's not just that comparatevily this is a peaceful country and criminality rates are relatively low. Hey! I even have the hypothesis that there are people who haven't known what a home is until they have come to the DR. Sure, there's the coge-lucha downsides of living here (which is what may make seem paradoxical the main point of this post): inefficient bureacracy both in public and in private institutions, lack of opportunities for young people (a reality I'm suffering in the realms of the professional, the academical and other aspects); but there are other good points about living here that, I think if your earn just enough money, more than compensate the downsides.

Dominicans -collectively as people- is what I want to examine. This does not always occur, but the same Dominicans that captivate you because of their friendliness, their know-how-to-treat-you-right and their great sense of humour are the ones who, to name just one thing, throw garbage in the street without any qualm. And I say this because it kind of nerves me up when Dominicans as a whole are angelized. Open your eyes, people: this is not as great as it looks and there are negative aspects about the Dominican culture, aspects that unless we stop acting based on which are going to doom the DR to become something creepy.

Now... to the observation I've made. The reason why I say this is the land of comfort is because here you can get things easily -and no, I'm not talking about sex-. In what other country in the world you'll find figures such as the Colmado Delivery Boy or the Jardinero Ambulante (Mobile Gardener). What about the cocotero that offers you coconut water in the middle of the traffic jam and peddlers of other goods and articles?

Think about the Colmado Delivery. That's what I call quality of life. Do you know what it is to be in your home, already with comfy clothes and not wanting to get out for any reason when you realize that there's no water to drink, that there's no bread, that you've ran out of toilet paper? Imagine: you'd have to put some clothes on, get in the car and head off to somewhere under the risk of being shot or that they assault you or both? Colmado Delivery is a very representative figure about how life is in the DR.

P.S.: It's nice living here and not nice at the same time. I have to acknowledge Dino Bonao (blogworkorange.blogspot.com) for opening my eyes regarding the Colmado Delivery.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Absolutely right. People have a tendancy to simplify these people because they seem so happy with their relative lack of wealth. How condescending.

And how latin women are so "hot". Just like anywhere else, some are and some are'nt. And some are hot, just not hot for "you".

I can deal with all of the bs the DR has to offer as long as I can get to the beach every Sunday.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
yes!

It's very true that even though there are many problems and obstacles to avoid in Dominican society, it also has many advantages over other more advanced cultures. I personally had the great fortune of having lived in the USA from 1962 to 1992, 30 full years, and then 4 more in Europe. I have been back for almost 10 years and would not even think of ever leaving again. Perhaps it's part of the aging process and not being eager to start new lives someplace else but I am enjoying my country as I was unable to in my youth.

Growing up and living in the USA was great with all the advantages and comforts and Americans, as a people, are great! The European experience with its great history and diverse cultures was even greater. However, for me at this stage of my life being able to ride my bike all year round, take a dip in the nearest river as I please, go to the beach, the mountains or pick fruit from the nearest tree at any time is invaluable. The relatively low crime rate (yes, in spite of all the hoopla you hear once in a while this place is one of the safest on the planet!) and the solidarity of the people regardless of their lack of wealth make it all worthwhile.

M

Mr.Mark

frank alvarez said:
It's very true that even though there are many problems and obstacles to avoid in Dominican society, it also has many advantages over other more advanced cultures. I personally had the great fortune of having lived in the USA from 1962 to 1992, 30 full years, and then 4 more in Europe. I have been back for almost 10 years and would not even think of ever leaving again. Perhaps it's part of the aging process and not being eager to start new lives someplace else but I am enjoying my country as I was unable to in my youth.

Growing up and living in the USA was great with all the advantages and comforts and Americans, as a people, are great! The European experience with its great history and diverse cultures was even greater. However, for me at this stage of my life being able to ride my bike all year round, take a dip in the nearest river as I please, go to the beach, the mountains or pick fruit from the nearest tree at any time is invaluable. The relatively low crime rate (yes, in spite of all the hoopla you hear once in a while this place is one of the safest on the planet!) and the solidarity of the people regardless of their lack of wealth make it all worthwhile.

Yeah, I agree with you to some extent. But it's easy to say what you say after you've spent your youth years in an advanced society, from which you obtained the money to come to live here.