Marriage and the 50-50 Property Rule

I

irv

I live in California. The marriage laws here require that assets acquired after marriage are subject to equal distribution in the event of a divorce, no matter who acquired what. That is fair enough. Even so, some people choose to have a pre-nuptual agreement made up anyway.

Does anyone know how the Dominican Laws governing marriage treat assets before marriage or after marriage. And should a pre-nuptual agreement be considered?

Facts and opinions greatly appreciated.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

Dominican Law is similar to California Law: assets acquired during marriage are split 50-50 between spouses. However, moveable assets (in essence, anything but real estate) acquired before marriage are also split 50-50. Spouses of course have the option to sign a prenuptial arrangement changing this.

I

irv

Thank you for an informative response, Mr. Guzman. May I bring an unsigned pre-nuptual agreement to the Dominican Republic, translated into Spanish, and have it take effect in front of a notary? Will it be as valid as one prepared by an attorney in the Dominican Republic?

Irv

F

Fabio J. Guzman

The prenuptial agreement must comply with Dominican law and must be entered into in notarial form here in the Dominican Republic. I would advise you to consult with an attorney/notary of your choosing in the Dominican Republic.