Appraisal

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
I am an appraiser here in the US and was considering moving to the DR I was wondering if there are any opportunities for appraisal in the DR. I would think there are since there are banks, land & homes, loans and businesses and all these things need a value. And if there are appraisals done what are the laws and regulations?
Thanks
L

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
liondeoro said:

Are you fully fluent in Spanish?

My guess is an appraiser here earns maybe RD$20-25,000 (US$600-800) monthly.

Laws and regulations? Very few. I'm sure anyone can become an appraiser, just like anyone can call themselves a real estate agent or broker.

I wouldn't waste your time and no way would I come to the DR in the hope of doing appraisal work to make a living.

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
Robert said:
Are you fully fluent in Spanish?

My guess is an appraiser here earns maybe RD$20-25,000 (US$600-800) monthly.

Laws and regulations? Very few. I'm sure anyone can become an appraiser, just like anyone can call themselves a real estate agent or broker.

I wouldn't waste your time and no way would I come to the DR in the hope of doing appraisal work to make a living.

Yes, I am fully fluent in Spanish. My family lives there now (from the country). Not trying to be rich but able to live comfortable and pursue other ventures i.e. import/export of used shoes and clothing ect. Thanks for the input.
L

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
Can anyone refer me to a place where i can offer my services (banks, loan officers, real estate brokers)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As you may well know, this is a very face to face a personal business environment. A referral means more than anything you can show on a piece of paper.

You need to come here and do the leg work and necessary networking.
This is not going to happen from afar.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
liondeoro said:
I am an appraiser here in the US and was considering moving to the DR I was wondering if there are any opportunities for appraisal in the DR. I would think there are since there are banks, land & homes, loans and businesses and all these things need a value. And if there are appraisals done what are the laws and regulations?
Thanks
L
Do you think that your skills are easily transferable to the DR? There is no MLS for comps purposes and nothing issued by the government that you can use. Hell it is close to impossible to even register a title let alone get the facts on others.

I know that there are other avenues to go to come up with a cost analysis but comps are the most important.

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
web developer

Escott said:
Do you think that your skills are easily transferable to the DR? There is no MLS for comps purposes and nothing issued by the government that you can use. Hell it is close to impossible to even register a title let alone get the facts on others.

I know that there are other avenues to go to come up with a cost analysis but comps are the most important.

OK.. since that whole idea is shot down how about Web Developer (which is what I do full-time here in the US)? I just want something to be able to eat while I try and start and grow my international trade ventures.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
liondeoro said:
OK.. since that whole idea is shot down how about Web Developer (which is what I do full-time here in the US)? I just want something to be able to eat while I try and start and grow my international trade ventures.

What's a Web Developer?

Programmer?
Graphic design?
HTML?
Project controller?

I thought you was an appraiser....

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
Robert said:
What's a Web Developer?

Programmer?
Graphic design?
HTML?
Project controller?

I thought you was an appraiser....
I've been making my living in web development (programming, html, asp,.net, production, graphics..ect,ect.) since 97 contracting for Smithsonian Inst. and now for DC government.. www.dc.gov. I also am an appraiser as a source of second income.. NOW..would there be a way to earn a living while I try to start an intternational trade company in the DR? Thanks for all the input.
L

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
liondeoro said:
I've been making my living in web development (programming, html, asp,.net, production, graphics..ect,ect.) since 97 contracting for Smithsonian Inst. and now for DC government.. www.dc.gov. I also am an appraiser as a source of second income.. NOW..would there be a way to earn a living while I try to start an intternational trade company in the DR? Thanks for all the input.
L

Going rate for a full time graphics/html person is around RD$15-20,000 (US$5-600) monthly.

Programmer I have, full time, US$250 :)
Guy is a php/mysql Russian wizard!

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
OK, Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse here...I want to start and build contacts in the DR. I want to export US goods there (used shoes, clothing, computer eqmt., surplus goods..ect) little of this little of that.. I was going to try and make a living while trying to start this project. But from what i'm hearing I should just focus on the int. trade and forget about everything else. would DR1 contacts be enough? or at least someone here could point me somewhere...I'm going to be in the country in Oct if that would help..

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
Robert said:
Going rate for a full time graphics/html person is around RD$15-20,000 (US$5-600) monthly.

Programmer I have, full time, US$250 :)
Guy is a php/mysql Russian wizard!
looks like I'll make better money appraising.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
liondeoro said:
...I'm going to be in the country in Oct if that would help..
What do you think? This business dream would start-up and run itself from long distance. I can't be said enough times, in the DR nothing is accomplished unless it is done face to face.

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
HOWMAR said:
What do you think? This business dream would start-up and run itself from long distance. I can't be said enough times, in the DR nothing is accomplished unless it is done face to face.
I am just feeling things out before I go out there. At least I can try to set up some contacts. Again if anyone can refer me to any contacts it would be greatly appreciated here in the US I have access to new/used clothes and shoes for men, women and children, Surplus hospital equipment, surplus computers and parts and electronics, used car parts, even food, wines. I?m trying to make preliminary efforts before I ?meto mano??