Spirit, AA, Continental policy on pets to DR

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
I have just been reading the pet policy for Continental, American Airlines and Spirit, and all say that pets are not allowed either in the cabin or the pressurized baggage area for flights from the US to DR. Has anyone recently brought a dog to DR on a flight from the US, and if so, which airline? Or, is it common practice to fly to an interim location first, then take a short hop in on a small airline?

This pet thing is stressing me...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re-read the AA page since it doesn't say no pets to the DR in baggage or the cabin at all. It even has the rates for checked and in cabin for the Caribbean. They prohibit birds from the DR TO the US.

Notes:

Dominican Republic
Birds from the Dominican Republic are prohibited entry into the United States.

Transatlantic, Transpacific and Central/South American flights
Carry-on pets are not allowed on Transatlantic, Transpacific or Central/South American flights. Animals traveling as checked baggage may be allowed, however, some international destinations may limit the number of animals allowed per passenger as checked baggage. Please call American Airlines Reservations at 800-433-7300 and check with the consulate of the country to which you are traveling for further details as the answer varies from country to country.

American Eagle does not accept pets as checked baggage for Priority Parcel Service between San Juan, (SJU) and St. Kitts (SKB) and between San Juan, (SJU) and Nevis (NEV).

Fees:

Checked Pets

Within and between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America and the Caribbean
$100 USD / $137 CAD* per container

Pets Traveling in the Cabin
Within the 50 United States

Between the 50 United States/Canada/Puerto Rico/USVI

Between the 50 United States/Canada and Mexico/Caribbean
$80 USD / $109 CAD* per container

Look here: http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/specialAssistance/travelingWithPets.jhtml

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
Oops!

ricktoronto said:
Re-read the AA page since it doesn't say no pets to the DR in baggage or the cabin at all. It even has the rates for checked and in cabin for the Caribbean. They prohibit birds from the DR TO the US.
WithPets.jhtml[/url]

Sorry Rick,

I got AA mixed up with Spirit's website. That's one of the downfalls of Mozilla Firefox - too many internet windows opened at once. Thanks for your correction.

I am now 50% less stressed.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Wonderdog said:
I have just been reading the pet policy for Continental, American Airlines and Spirit, and all say that pets are not allowed either in the cabin or the pressurized baggage area for flights from the US to DR. Has anyone recently brought a dog to DR on a flight from the US, and if so, which airline? Or, is it common practice to fly to an interim location first, then take a short hop in on a small airline?

This pet thing is stressing me...
I don't think your problem will be with bringing your pet with proper medical certificates to the DR. The problem may be if you want it to return to the US with you. I believe it will have to be quaratined before it is released to you in the US.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
If it is up to date on its shots it will be fine in both directions. You can't believe every dog that travels there is then quarantined when you get back.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Wonderdog said:
Sorry Rick,

I got AA mixed up with Spirit's website. That's one of the downfalls of Mozilla Firefox - too many internet windows opened at once. Thanks for your correction.

I am now 50% less stressed.

If it is a big dog add a handle to his back and get some dark glasses and fake them out as a guide dog. Yes I know not politically correct, so what?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We just brought in a puppy from the States two weeks ago. We flew AA and she rode in the cabin with us.

There is a limited time span that is available to fly pets in the cargo hold as destination and departure cities must be 85 degrees F or lower before AA will ship animals in the hold. I prefer large breed dogs but since this is the case and I don’t like leaving a dog here over the summer we have chosen the miniature Australian Shepard as our new breed of choice so our new dog should be able to fly in the cabin even when fully grown. It is a great breed and I wouldn’t mind hearing from anyone else that might happen to have one on the island.

We got stopped at the door when leaving the SDQ customs area so she didn’t make it in as an illegal but it only took about 5 minutes and a receipted fee of 300 pesos to make her a legal pooch.

Good luck with bringing in your pets.