Brazil, Dom Rep and The Philippines

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Some of the members on this board have visited or lived in atleast two or all three of the subject countries.

This thread is an approach to compare the three countries, or to compare the Dom Rep with two respective countries.

The comparison can be done from a generalistic point, rather than with direct specification.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm one of those, lived in 2 (Brazil/DR) and visited the other a few times.

I think you need to be more specific with your question.
Like... Why do you need to know the answers?

Are you thinking of moving to one of them?
Looking for a 2 week vacation spot?
Thinking of opening a bar on the beach in one of them?

The answers will be very "generalistic" and of very little value unless you get specific.

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
i have interest in those three countries and likewise have visited two (brazil/DR) My wife is brazilian, and I fancy Brazil, DR and have lot of friend from the philippines.

In respect to comparison I was looking to extend my knowledge from the viewpoint of other to someone validate some of my already formed opinions and to access the consideration of others on this topic.

At Present DR and brazil is ideal for me as both are within reach, while philippines seem more along the line of - should I or should I not

I found Brasil to be cheaper than the DR, and I don't know if it was or alway will be that way. However, brazil scare in when it comes to taxes.
So now, for those who've Live in brazil, I would somehow like thiere account on this, and in the same manner compare the issue of tax with the DR, or in respect to the philippines. On the other hand there are those who visited, and likewise I'd some how like thier account of comparison.

I also found DR to be more liberal in respect to real estate as foreigner can own land without the red tape that brazil have, and likewise can become resident quite easily, while again, brazil is more intense on this matter.

But from the interest that have been stirred within me from my filipino friends, I somehow see myself making some exploration there. And the philippines, also is not as liberal as the DR.

I am motivate as you can see to get any comparison result, in whatever capacity where these countries are concern from an individualistic account

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Another approach to the subject: Having visited or lived in Brazil or the Philippines, how do you find it different the DR?

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
As Robert said, you should be more specific on what you are planning to do - ie: retire there; open a business; etc.

I own(ed) various properties and spend quite a bit of time in the DR over the last 8 years. The original plan for me was to set something long term up there since I relocate every few years for work.

I relocated to the Philippines in January and was in the DR for the month of July on vacation. I am seeing many advantages the Philipines offers over the DR, especially after the last trip. There are however disadvantages, ie: foreigners can't own land. As in every system there are ways around everything, it's just a question of how complicated it is to get around things.

One disadvantage is the distance to where my extended family is, but since I only go there every 18 months or so this is not really a huge factor to consider. If it were for holiday 2 or 3 times a year, the 2 day flight is a pain in the arse.

The beer here is just as good as Presidente, and only costs about 40 - 50 US cents in most bars outside of Manila! Right now almost everything from rent to fuel to food costs a fraction of what it costs in the DR, but that situation could change over a few years (either way).

As far as not being as liberal as the DR - I don't know exactly what you mean, but I definately don't have that perception. This is a very liberal society.

Anyhow, feel free to ask specifics, or send me a PM.

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Gentelmen
Thank you for your sharing to the development of this post.
Duck, if it wouldn't you, can you share a little more about your experience in the philippines about the culture or culture shock you experience there?
And likewise Robert, concerning brazil, can you give the headup on your experience where culture is concern?

I am using Dom Rep as my base of comparison as I visit there frequently

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was in Brazil, 90-91. Lot's have changed in the past 15 years.

I went to tour the country and play Capoeira (martial art).
I also did some work on the side for a couple of small ophthalmic companies.

What can I tell you? I enjoyed myself and Brazilians are great to be around.

The Internet has plenty of websites that can better answer your question.
Do a search in Google for "living in Brazil" or Brazilian culture".

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
TCIDR said:
Some of the members on this board have visited or lived in atleast two or all three of the subject countries.

This thread is an approach to compare the three countries, or to compare the Dom Rep with two respective countries.

The comparison can be done from a generalistic point, rather than with direct specification.

Why are you comparing particularly those countries? They're extremely different countries, almost like you picked three countries on the world map throwing darts, I mean what is the common denominator? Not like comparing Cuba, DR and Puerto Rico or something.

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
Again Very General

TCINDR - again that is very general, I could write a really long post, but I'll give it a try.

One thing to keep in mind is that I am very gainfully employed in Manila, and only hang around on the beach with tourists on weekends. Due to my work, I automatically come in contact with a well-educated class of people right from the start. In the DR I've never been employed, so I had to make friends and acquaintances through trial and error, and it is not always easy meeting "proper" people during a 3 week holiday - that took me a few years in the DR. I also spend 85% of my waking hours stone sober in the Philippines, and in the DR there is usually nothing holding me back from cracking a few Presidente's every afternoon (morning?). This may have something to do with differences in perspectives but I will try to be as objective as possible.

I also lived in Nigeria for over 3 years before I came to the Philippines, so not many things shock me - culturally or otherwise.

Beaches / Watersports

The Philippines has over 7,000 islands, and therefore more beaches. There are many more small bays and coves to tuck into if you are travelling by water and there are areas where the sea is more frequently calm than in the DR due to the surrounding islans.

The diving in the Philippines is generally better, especially if you are interested in Marine life and/or WWII wrecks. The reefs here are teeming with life for the most part, and facilities are widely available. The DR may be more interesting for diving on old (100yrs +) wrecks.

Fishing. I guess it depends what you are fishing for. Although I haven't been fortunate enough to get one (in the DR), I think fishing for large billfish is better in the DR. On the other hand for Wahoo, Dorado, and smaller Sailfish I definately have better experience in the Philippines. Charter service (at least for proper boats) is much better/widely available in the DR.

For windsurfing / kitesurfing I think Cabarete is the capitol of the world for these sports. Nothing in the Philippines even comes close.

Tourism in general is more concentrated in the DR into a few areas, in the Philippines it is a bit more spread out. Most tourists also come from other Asian countries (if you think Germans or Americans appear to be rude in groups, try hanging out near a bunch of Koreans). I haven't seen an AI yet in the Philippines (thank God!!!), although a lot of hotels include breakfast and have full services should one choose to stay parked there.

Infrastructure

Around Manila the infrastructure is quite good. There is almost always power, although (to correct my OP on prices) very very expensive. Roads are also OK. Outside of Manila I guess it depends. Obvoisly smaller islands will not have their own power plant, and I think the medium sized islands experience brown (note: brown, not black) outs. The farther away you get from large cities, the less extensive the infrastructure, including roads.

Public transport is probably compareable, but much cheaper. I can take a taxi clear across Manila for $US 3.50, and I think a jeepny is probably less than $1. Domestic flights are reasonable with most destinations around $50 one way, Ferrys cost about half of that.

Telecommunication is probably a bit better in the Philippines, but that is something which can change rapidly. I can pick up a wireless internet connection from cell-towers almost the whole way from Manila to Puerto Galera (2 hr. drive, 1 hr. ferry), including out on the open sea between Islands.

Prices

Basically everything here (except electricity) is much, much cheaper than in the DR. I think this may have to do with the fact that the population is 10 x that of the DR and the domestic market is huge. In the DR there is to some extent an irrational pricing system that when the exchange rate goes up, everything goes up. When fuel goes up, everything goes up. Logically fuel and exchange rate can only effect certain cost components of certain goods (ie: if fuel is 30% of the cost component of running a transport business and fuel doubles, prices should only go up 15% and not 100%). Food products that aren't imported shouldn't go up at all when the exchange rate changes, etc.

I think (foreign) tourism is proportionally a much smaller part of the economy here, so if they doulbe the price of beer (just for example), they will price-out 99% of their consumers, as compared to perhaps only 65% (which may account for less than 65% of consumption) in the DR. Don't research these numbers, it's just an example.

Prices / Help

Services are also cheaper, and personell are generally more dependable than in the DR (again, perhaps because of my work situation, I am in contact with different circles of people). This ranges from personal staff like the maid, to the boat boy, to employees at work. They are generally on time, and are generally honest. I've never had 2 centavos missing out of my apartment or the change dish in my car without being asked, and I leave my office at work open all day and have never had a cell-phone or anything else go walkabout.

Also, I've only been hit up once to loan anyone money in the past 8 months - and that was $25 which was paid back one week later although this was a week's salary for the person in question. I've had much different experience in the DR. Lots of things missing off of my boat, out of the house, car, etc.

Safety / Security

Most parts of the Philippines are safe to move around in. I haven't heard of any incident's of petty crime (mugged on the street / house broken into / vehicle stolen) although of course it exists.

There is however the odd chance of bombs going off once in a while from the friends in the south (muslim rebels), or getting kidnapped. This problem is pretty much non-existant in the DR, but I also wouldn't over emphasise that pointin the Philippines, since the odds are small that one is effected if you stay away from Mindanao.

General Law & Order

I think there is a bit more "law & order" in the Philippines. The police are a bit corrupt, but as a foreigner I only see the benefit side. If I get caught in a traffic offense it costs about 5 bucks, and the cop sticks it right in his pocket, which I think is great. They usually only stop you if you are really doing something wrong.

For bigger things though, the police are quite helpful and do their job diligently, which I can also say has not always been my experience in the DR. A friend of mine (foreigner) was involved in a fender-bender a few weeks ago where the other driver (Filipino) was clearly at fault. Everyone rushed around and the police showed up. They made sure my friend got the other guy's insurance info & other details, gave the Filipino a traffic ticket and everyone went their own way. Three days later my friend was re-imbursed from the offender directly because he didn't want to file a claim.

There is a certain amount of chaos, but not so much to impede day to day life.

Real estate

Prices depend on the area and infrastructure I guess, but appear to be reasonable. Foreigners however can't legally own land. A lot of guys I know teamed up with their Filipina Mrs., and in most cases this works out - although I know of one guy right now who's partner is flipping out and trying to clean him out. I've heard of that problem much more frequently in the DR, but I guess "relationships" is a chapter in itself (which I won't get into).

Taxes

This issue is as complicated as each individual's situation. My employer withholds taxes, and I file a return at the end of the year as I would in Germany or the US.

If you run your own small business in the tourism sector (for example), I would say the tax collection system is about as efficient as in the DR, and I'll leave it at that.

Resident Expats

Another thing I noticed, which I don't really know how to categorize is how the resident expats interact with each other. For some reason I have the impression that they are a bit more at peace with each other than in the DR, especially in a "beach" setting. I am in Sabang Beach (beach strip with bars & a lot of dive shops) a few times each month and no one talks bad about others, at worst they say nothing. In Sosua I've had the experience that some (not all) business (read: bar) owners are not shy to intimate visitors with the intrigues of "local gossip" which is usually negative concerning the party in question.

"Culture Shock"

Again, I've lived many places so the "shock" for me is relative. Coming directy from Nigeria and spending holidays in the DR, I am shocked at how dependable and honest people can be. If however, I were coming directly from the US I might perceive that differently.

I am also amazed at how "Americanized" things are (especially in Manila) in the Philippines. Shopping malls, fast food, and almost everything consumers could want are plentiful.

The Philippines is also the third largest (by population) english speaking country in the world after the US and Nigeria, so communication is not a problem if you speak english - even in the villages.

Families are big and close-knit, similar to the DR. Family relationships have a high priority in most people's lives here. The country is also dominantly Catholic. This is clearly seen, but people adhere (or don't) to the "rules" similar like in the DR.

I could go on, but I've finnished my second cup of Coffee and have to get to the office.

Last edited:

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Duck, Robert
Much appreciation!
I spend time to do my research, and in the midst of posting on this forum, I find it also to be a facet of research. In research, I like to read testimonials and personal account of individuals or first hand experience. It make the information intake from different website less time consuming and also it become more personable from an individual account.

I started my research in Late 2000 for foreign country to live and/or spend a considerable amount of time in. In the early stages I've been chosen Southeast Asia, South America and the Latin Caribbean.

My motivation for living in another country is to seek changes and to get more (hopefully) without spending more, or even spending less. Got me? right!
Now, I've came to the point, where Southeast Asia pool of countries are concern, I've elimated all for the exception of the Philippines. Where south america concern, all elimated for the exception of Brazil, and where latin american is concern, all for the exception of Dom Rep.
The cost of living in these countries are considerably less than living in Turks and Caicos, and also offer much more conveniences/services

DOM REP
I have made several visits, and my motivation here is it is only 40 minutes away from Providenciales; it offer a change in scenario and lifestyle; it is cheaper here eventhough with the currency appreciation of the peso, the dollar doesn't seek as attractive as it used to be. With this country I am having a strong pull on both side: To be or not to be! There are positives that I like: family orientate environment, conveniences, scenario, social atmosphere and cultural identity. However these are the same quality present in all three countries I am looking at. But a frustrating negative is the electricity and the corruption that plague the other two counties as well.

Turks and Caicos being a Tax free country, Tax really scare me especially when it comes to income tax and inheritance tax. I don't mind the annual property tax and sales tax etc.
In brazil there is an income tax, and I've read that it is on worldwide income. I interpret that as any money earn in brazil, as well as any money coming into brazil or that is lodge into an account in brazil. I've never file an tax return, and don't really care much about doing so. Neither am I interested in any mortgage or loan. So I'm weary about paying taxes.
I'm not in any way patriotic, however I do make contribution to the community -- and I don't need a government body or an institution to do that for me.
My wife also is not receptive to living in Turks and Caicos, and expect me to live in brazil. She is not incline to Dom Rep either as she thinks they are somewhat backward in an arrogant sort of way (Ofcourse she thinks we are backwards in TCI as well, and heaven knows what she thinks about the Philippines) Outside of living in Brazil, she would like to live in Europe -- italy to be more specific. I have no inclination for European countries. But I am trying to make myself accessible to my wife in what she want without having to compromise myself (she and I are not on very good term, but divorcing for me is a last resort, eventho I fancy being single again). However, I can't imagine pay 27.3% tax on my income in brazil

I find the Philippines very appealling. I haven't yet been there, and was schedule to visit in September (next month), however next year more would be more equip to do so.
The negative about the philippines so far is the distance from the western hemisphere. (long flight back and forth) I don't anticipate doing that more than once per year. Also that foreigners can own land there but I likewise feel there are way to overcome this. [those clauses are in place to protect its citizens seeing that it they have a large population

In living in any of the above mention countries, my source of income will be residual from my country. I assume with confidence the dollar will continue to have some amount of dominance and popularity worldwide.

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
TCIDR said:
In living in any of the above mention countries, my source of income will be residual from my country. I assume with confidence the dollar will continue to have some amount of dominance and popularity worldwide.

If your income is residual from TCI sources, I wouldn't worry about tax too much wherever you are. Leave the cash there, and draw it from an ATM wherever you may find yourself!

If i understand correctly that you are from TCI, can you please send me a PM with your e-mail. I was also looking at TCI, and have a few questions you may be able to help me with.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Foreigners Owning Land in PI

Only under certain limited exceptions can a foreigner own land in PI. A foreigner can own a condo though.

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Dom Rep and Brazil

TCIDR said:

There are lots of poverty, unemployment and other social problems in all three countries.

I am Dominican, and was in Brazil (Rio) years ago. Rio de Janeiro did not feel safe; too much crimes then. I don't know if things have changed... unfortunately violent crimes has also been on the rise these days in D.R.

No middle class to speak of in Rio - Brazil... The poor literally living next door to the rich... Not quite the case in D.R., even though the middle class appears to be dissappearing due to adverse economy / a few amassing most of the wealth, and most just getting by.

Similarities I observed in both countries was the whites having more power, and generally doing better. However, this appears to be a universal thing.

MeDominican