Free Bag!!!

Jun 5, 2004
To celebrate the 30 years American Airlines is flying to the Dominican Republic in the month of October American Airlines will allow you to take an extra bag to the Dominican Republic. Sounds like great news.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
apdomini100max said:
To celebrate the 30 years American Airlines is flying to the Dominican Republic in the month of October American Airlines will allow you to take an extra bag to the Dominican Republic. Sounds like great news.
Real great if you are stuck behind all those extra bags coming through customs....If AA really wanted to give something, let them offer the extra bag in December when all the returning Dominican expats get a break on customs tax.

Jun 5, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Real great if you are stuck behind all those extra bags coming through customs....If AA really wanted to give something, let them offer the extra bag in December when all the returning Dominican expats get a break on customs tax.

Well if they did it in December it would be impossible for an a 300 to take off. They are generous but just up to a point. Cant ask for much.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Where would they find room for extra bags in December. Most years, they are already leaving luggage behind around holiday season.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
??

apdomini100max said:

where did you hear this and where can i check it out. We leave for the DR Tuesday and it would be terrific if we could bring an extra bag. We are planning a full time move in the very near future and this would be a great way to bring some stuff to leave.

Bob K

Jun 5, 2004
Bob K said:
where did you hear this and where can i check it out. We leave for the DR Tuesday and it would be terrific if we could bring an extra bag. We are planning a full time move in the very near future and this would be a great way to bring some stuff to leave.

Bob K
Well this is something that came out very recently so i am not sure of how many people know about it but i know it because of American World Wide travel in the New York Area. Have some friends there. 212 568 1207 you can call them to confirm or just call any travel agent office in Washington Heights they will know about it.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
apdomini100max said:
Well this is something that came out very recently so i am not sure of how many people know about it but i know it because of American World Wide travel in the New York Area. Have some friends there. 212 568 1207 you can call them to confirm or just call any travel agent office in Washington Heights they will know about it.
According to the AA website, for tickets issued after October 1st, your allowed two checked bags to the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Keep in mind the OP and the rest of airplane cabal shoot first and ask questions later - an unsubstantiated rumour from an unreliable source can make you look pretty stupid when you show up with three bags tomorrow. AA.com has absolutely nothing about this. $80 fee for that one extra bag is likely. More likely than AA doing this ever.

Also at times they embargo extra bags so you might show up and they just refuse it regardless of the extra fee or not.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
apdomini100max said:

WOULD you please tell us where u got this information because according to the american airline representatives your info is bogus. please inform us and then call AA and inform them where u got this info bc they are unaware of it as well.....

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
QUIT listening to him people. He's frequently wrong. End of story, no need to call AA, just DON'T act on his advice.

Jun 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
QUIT listening to him people. He's frequently wrong. End of story, no need to call AA, just DON'T act on his advice.

You just have to call any Dominican Travel agency in washington heights or call the service in spanish. Note that if i am informing you this its not for my benefit. American WorldWide Travel in 181 has the info. If you dont want to take the extra bag its OK but they are accepting it. Rick if i was you i wouldnt be talking about people being wrong.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
what????

apdomini100max said:
You just have to call any Dominican Travel agency in washington heights or call the service in spanish. Note that if i am informing you this its not for my benefit. American WorldWide Travel in 181 has the info. If you dont want to take the extra bag its OK but they are accepting it. Rick if i was you i wouldnt be talking about people being wrong.

Dont know what the He*l you are talking about but in our neck of the woods (Colorado) AA or my travel agent has no clue as to a "free" bag. We leave on Tuesday and will just bring the two allowed thank you.

Bob K

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
apdomini100max said:

So when you call the airline,who you might think would make the rules, they say you are nuts, but what is OK is to call Dominican travel agencies in Washigton Heights who apparently know more than AA does. Sounds like a genius plan. Quit making stuff up.

Hey how about an update - how many e-mails did you get sent to AA based on that looney conspiracy post you had going? Do you see why people might not take you seriously with your track record of looney behaviour?

Jun 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
So when you call the airline,who you might think would make the rules, they say you are nuts, but what is OK is to call Dominican travel agencies in Washigton Heights who apparently know more than AA does. Sounds like a genius plan. Quit making stuff up.

Hey how about an update - how many e-mails did you get sent to AA based on that looney conspiracy post you had going? Do you see why people might not take you seriously with your track record of looney behaviour?

Believe it or not I have received many responses. I can send you some any time you want.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Sorry, I should have qualified it - from people who are a) sane and b) not related to you.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
for all those who are wondering (like we were) you are allowed to take a third bag like the op stated...unfortunatly we had to find out once we got to the airport with our 2 bags......what happened was after reading this thread i had called AA and spoke to an international rep and asked him if this is true a third bag would be allowed at no charge...he had heard nothing about it, check the comp there were no notes, put me on hold to ask someone else, came back and still said he hadn't heard anything....so we assumed no...then my husband goes to the airport today jfk and calls and tells me that yes he indeed would have been allowed a third bag, so he checked his carryon.....would have been nice to know this before hand would have saved us 100 dollars that we spent sending a box thru a shipping company :(
they are allowing a third bag the whole month of october. hopefully this is informative.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Apdomini100max, good call.

It looks like the AA added a footnote to the chart on their website.

Also note the following:

Checked Baggage to Santiago and Santo Domingo

Through October 31, 2005, passengers traveling from New York JFK to Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI) or Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) only may check up to three bags (within size and weight allowances as noted above).