power black outs

D

De Cock Georges

Can anybody give an aswer why are every day power black outs in Puerto-Plata? thank you

P

peter

Hi, it's the Carribeans ;-).... you know the word man~ana???

A

arcoiris;

Power black-outs have been a serious problem all over the country. It is a poor country. The US has power black outs too, actually...we had four this summer. The demand for electricity grows faster than the countries can keep up with. The US is lucky enough to be able to tap into other power source alternatives to supplement one region's, and buys energy even from Canada here in the north. The DR has been unfortunate in not being able to construct fast enough, or maintain what it does have well enough, nor does it have close neighbors to tap into. There haave been strikes to try to pressure the government to remedy the situation, and apparently the government has decided to shed responsibility by privatizing, which is currently in process. There are some projects in the works now in construction, which have apparently themselves necessitated temporary shut-downs of power (you wouldn't want the worker to get electricuted while installing new equipment). It helps to know to bring flashlights and batteries with you when you visit. We use a kerosene lamp for the room, and have small and large flashlights with rechargeable batteries. People and places who can install generators and invertors.

T

Tom

Although Acoiris is accurate in her statement that the current blackouts are due to private industry trying to upgrade the grid, previous problems are not due to "insufficient supply or lack of help" They were due to corrupt Government operation of the Power Industry, citizens hbeing of the opinion tht electricity was an "entitlement" and tapping into power lines whenever they felt like it, ( I read once where the Govt. estimated that 40% of the electricity was not charged), ineffiecient metering systems, bribes to have your power hooked up or restored etc.

There is more than adequate generating turbines, especially with the advent of the new Gas Turbine planst, it is now a matter of transmisssion quality and people understanding they must pay someone to provide this "luxury" to them

Tom

N

Nina

Just got back from a frustrating two week vacation staying with local family just outside of Cabarete. The power was terrible. There was no pattern to it going out and no set duration. Some days it went out for 24 hours. Could not believe it! Called the power plant daily and told them my situtation...same answer now for 10 years..."there is a problem and they are fixing it"...hello?!!$*$* always the same problem?? I told them a few things and also that this is hurting tourism. People do not want to travel to the DR anymore, not as much as they used to. Okay, the hotels have their own generators, but what about the local family or even the families way out in the country; this is not fair to them. To survive in the DR, you need a generator! So, if staying locally, be prepared; bring lots of candles, lots of mosquito repellant and drink lots of rum to knock you out so you don't have to feel the bites and the heat!!!!!

N

noelle

If power black outs did not exist... then this island would not be called the Dominican Republic!!!!!!! Cheers!!!! Sofy's B&B.... with lots humour!!!!! 10 years....and getting used to it.... with invertors... and generators... and lots of patience and understanding!!!!!!!

N

Nina

Hi Noelle!!!! It's me Nina!!!.....You are lucky, cause you are right close to the beach and have the luxurious ocean breeze!, and that beautiful house of yours!...If I had all that down there, then I would not be complaining,,,but going down on vacation, you know...is not easy doing what I did. My own fault, should have stayed at a hotel! Email me some day! Nina

T

Tom

If fewer people are traveling to the DR then why is the Casa Marina getting bigger and bigger everytime I visit Sosua? True, if you stay at a house with no generator its annoying, but MOST people stay at a hotel where you don't even notice it. I know this may sound strange, but I think the blackouts are one of the things that remind us just how dependent we are on technology and its good to see the power go off and just chill in the dark a little bit.

N

noelle

Nina... and at my B&B there is no power black outs... except when my 16 batteries have no time to recharge because of them black outs!!!! Cheers....

D

DEF

At your B&B this! Who the heck cares. The point is not everybody in Puerto Plata can fit at your B&B at the same time! We need electricity at our homes.

T

trina

Good answer, Tom. Relax. Think about what it was like for people when they didn't have power and didn't have the things we take for granted. Appreciate what you have in your own country, because others are not always so fortunate.

D

DEF

I didn't know Sofy's B&B was in Cabarete. Why don't you go advertise somewhere else. I think your boring us all with your B&B......ect.

J

J.

Just like Jamaica, PR, the Virgin Islands and so on.Some blackouts, and not much the poor can do about it. Others buy a generator, use batteries with a charger and if luckie enough a solar system for charging.. DON'T FORGET---- CANADA, USA, AND LOTS OF OTHERS HAVE TRILLIONS OF US DOLLARS INVESTED IN POWER GENERATION AND GRID SYSTEMS .And from time to time we have them too. YOU SHOULD HEAR THE PEOPLE HERE AT THAT TIME....... BUT---SORRY, YOU WILL HAVE POWER WHEN WE GET IT FIXED. Your Loving Power Company. So if you need power that bad, buy a generator. J.

N

noelle

Mr. J.... you are right... one must be prepared to prepare himself!!!

N

noelle

DEF.... I am not in Cabarete and sorry if I am boring you....Cheers

C

Canadian Bob

Hi Noelle! We don't find your messages boring! (If we did we wouldn't bother to read them.......) Canadian Bob PS Say Hi to Sophy.

A

arcoiris

noelle, you have just as much right to recommend your thing as anyone else does to recommend theirs. Just remember these are all personal recommendations and should be taken as such, and not overdone to avoid making this site too commercial for any businesses with self interest.

N

noelle

And what's wrong in recommending generators and/or invertors... when one has the experience in the country. Cheers