Dual citizenship and residency

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Hi there

I am thnking about moving to DR and wanted to know if its a good idea to get dual citizenship.

I dont know how this goes, but here's some info.

i was born in DR but haven't lived there in 16 years. I am now a US citizen.

am i still a citizen of DR?

if so, should I get a DR passport?

if i am a citizen, do I need to go through all the hassle for residency?

I will be in DR for 3 weeks in Dec. can I get the Cedula and recidency paper in that time?

how long is the recidency for?

thanks

asterix

Jun 22, 2005
You're Dominican. You don't just loose your Dominican citizenship for not being around. You'll need to go over some paperwork to obtain your cedula and passport. ( You'll only need your Dominican Birth certificate. If you don't have it , then you will have to search it on the Oficialia de Estado Civil that ( I guess you remember this) you were declared at birth.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Same for my son then?

I have a son with a dominican girl. That means that he does not risk to loose his dominican citizenship if he get the residency in my country, or?

asterix

Jun 22, 2005
You will be able to enter the DR without having to pay for the tourist card every time you fly down.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
asterix said:
You will be able to enter the DR without having to pay for the tourist card every time you fly down.

even w/ if I dont have the Dominican passport?

By the way, no ones has answered the questions:

Waht are the benefits of getting the Dominican passport if I have dual citizenship?

the only reason I can think of is to travel to a place like Cuba.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think it's been mentioned before that even if you do not have a DR passport, if you have the DR as your place of birth on your passport you are treated as a Dominican and do not have to pay entrance tax. I once travelled with a Dominican colleague who is a dual national and he used his European passport to enter the country. Once the immigration clerk saw he was born in the DR he was waved through.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I think in today's world there will be places where traveling on a Dominican passport is better. To get a passport, you first need to get your cedula.

On the other hand, I would think that if you arrived with a Dominican birth certificate that would suffice, though, if you want to try it.

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
donrael said:
even w/ if I dont have the Dominican passport?

By the way, no ones has answered the questions:

Waht are the benefits of getting the Dominican passport if I have dual citizenship?

It can simplify travel to some places.

Banks won't require you to give permission to release info to the US IRS if you open the account with the dominican passport.

Possible others.

Your lifestyle would determine if there are practical advantages.

dr j

Oct 6, 2005
Citizenship and residency

What are the there average costs (US dollars, please) for DR citizenship and residency applications?

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
If you wasborn here you are Dominican, you only need a birth certificate to get the cedula and then your Dominican passport.

I have a cousin and an uncle that they are us citizens, but they still has their Dominican cedula, and the dauthers of my cousin wasborn in Puerto Rico and as their mother and father are Dominican they got a Dominican citizenship.