One Legged Kiteboarder

Col555

Oct 18, 2005
Hi,

I was recently in Cabarete on a kiteboarding vacation and saw the guy with one leg out there riding at Kite Beach. It was inspiring stuff. Does anyone know anything about his story. Someone told me that he used to be one of the best riders until a motoconcho accident forced him to have his leg amputated? And that he lives out there at the point where he has all his shells. Is this all legend?

Colin

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Col555 said:
Hi,

I was recently in Cabarete on a kiteboarding vacation and saw the guy with one leg out there riding at Kite Beach. It was inspiring stuff. Does anyone know anything about his story. Someone told me that he used to be one of the best riders until a motoconcho accident forced him to have his leg amputated? And that he lives out there at the point where he has all his shells. Is this all legend?

Colin
Hi Colin,

I had never heard of this so I got my kite-spy to work and here's what I can tell you (her words, not mine):

"YES! Its true that he is an amazing inspiration to all people, kiteboarders and non kiteboarders. Really makes us happy to see him out there on the water, he has so much fun.

In terms of his background, I believe he never kiteboarded with 2 legs, but I could be wrong. I also believe he is the uncle of Dominican kiteboarding champion Luciano Gonzales. I will ask Luciano about it the next time I see him.

Hopefully it will be windy when you are here and you can see it yourself!

Kind regards from Cabarete!"

I hope to see for myself next week and if I find out more I will post it here.

Gregg

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It's amazing how people adapt to their disabilities. In POP we have a guy working for our Air Conditioning contractor who lost both arms below the elbow and one leg, in not one, but two seperate motochoncho accidents. He is able to climb ladders and use tools which he has adapted.

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
Have seen this guy too.

What's amazing isn't so much that he kiteboards with but the one leg, but that he does it so well. He's not just good for someone with one leg, he's better than most people on the water.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Pamela

There is a gorgeous chica that frequents Calle Duarte in Boca Chica with one leg.

brit

Jun 28, 2005
He is a legend........he used to be a top windsurfer and then learn't how to kite board, after the accident. He also dives for the big shells. He is an amazing person........I have known him for years. I had a bad accident and had to learn how to walk.....starting on kite beach. He inspired me everyday to keep pushing on. Gracias Dios, I am now walking.....he made me brave!!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tamborista said:
There is a gorgeous chica that frequents Calle Duarte in Boca Chica with one leg.
You must have had on your beer goggles when you saw her?:) She wasn't bad looking; but gorgeous??

I used to always see her in Cosmos, dancing, holding a beer, a cigarette, and the crutch. Man she could move!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
IIRC, she had the nickname of "one-legged girl". There were two there so the other was "the other one-legged girl, not the one you are thinking of"

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am not surprised PutzToronto has both of the "One Legged Chicas" in his repertoire of 200 peso novias.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
k1w1 said:
sorry apples & oranges!!!
surfing = flowing w/ the force
kiting = FIGHTING the force. And it's a real battle (it's bitchin' )

Come-on.. where's your sense of humor... you just have to get to know all the fruits.... ;) And sailing is more of flowing with the force than anything... And surfing is flowing with the force. Once thing, I've spent some time on the ocean, with all kinds of sails, and now I'm a little old for that... but Fighting the Force, come-on, you've lost before you've started. Its all to do with flow man!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
k1w1 said:
I don't know if you've ever kited sir But you'll just have to trust me here. There is NOTHING about 'flowing with' ... when you are strapped to a kite and YOU are the keel (sp) (ie you are not just sitting your ass on said keel) unless it's your wish to NEVER stay upwind!! Huge difference sir. Don't be fooled by how easy it may look. Hey I'm a Kiwi man ... clamati!! ... you're preachin' to the choir tehe
You would be the one LOSING (read WAYYYY downwind) before starting if you were younger and going to give this a shot bringing traditional sailing thinkin'. "Drag those knuckles into the 21st century mon"
cheers

Good to know the sense of humor is alive and well. And I was just messin with ya! (Kiwis and South Africans and all that rugby stuff... )No, I've never kited (took a lesson once but did not take to it).. or it to me. But I've watched the one legged fellow - truly remarkable!

Last edited: