Is this legal?

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
I have a friend who is trying to send some used clothes to the Dominican Republic for some children. He was told by the shipping company that the Dominican Republic is not allowing people to ship used clothes here anymore. After asking around I have been told by numerous sources that this is a new rule. Is it legal for the government to ban the shipping of used clothes?

L

LarrySpencer

I don't know much about shipping used clothes to the Dominican Republic, but I do know that in Dajabon, every Monday and Friday, Haitians come to acrosss the river the sell their goods, used clothes included. Customs doesn't even try to stop them. They blatantly display them on the tarps tool

I know of several people in the town who also sneak across the border to Haiti at night, purchase large amounts of clothing from the Haitians and then take it to Puerto Plata o Santiago para vender.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Larry, I think that is what they are trying to stop. If I am right I think it is really stupid. If anyone can sell used clothes it is because there is a need for them and people are willing to buy them. If this is the case who gives a flying @!#$ where they come from. Even worse, why stop someone who would like to give free clothes to some children who need them in order to stop other people who are trying to sell them?

L

LarrySpencer

I agree also. I think there is an issue of import taxes and such, but I'm not sure. It is similiar to what they have decided to do with vehicles also, except for a completely different reason, when they passed legislation to only allow vehicles newer than 5 years.

If there is a demand, because Lord knows that not all dominicans can afford to run out and buy brand new clothes all the time, then it should be allowed. One problem being faced with Haiti, though, is that they are receiving so much aid, including groups donating used clothing, that many decided they would rather have money than clothing. Therefore, they cross the border and sell them. I know I've got at least 10 on any given Monday or Friday who will come by the house sell something.

OFNI

Aug 22, 2005
This was the original issue: "He was told by the shipping company that the Dominican Republic is not allowing people to ship used clothes here anymore. After asking around I have been told by numerous sources that this is a new rule."

Your friend may want to ask the shipping company where they get their information from. What does the statute, ordinance, 'rule' (?) exactly say?

What "numerous sources" did you contact? Government agencies? Friends who live in the DR? The source can make a difference for the quality of the answer. :)

As it is highly unlikely that the government has laws in place that ban (prohibit?) the shipment of used clothes, your friend may want to contact another shipping company and get a 'second opinion.'

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
LarrySpencer said:
IOne problem being faced with Haiti, though, is that they are receiving so much aid, including groups donating used clothing, that many decided they would rather have money than clothing.
I know this is way out of the scope of the OP, however...

I don't think Haiti is receiving as much help as it should, but as it is all too human, a lot of people are just dumping their stuff there to make themselves look good and feel like they are doing something (not that there's anything wrong with that). Buuuut I have seen some things that make me wonder if maybe somebody out there is either clueless as to what Haiti is or they have a wicked sense of humor. Some items I have seen in the Dajabon market:

Snow boots.
Heavy winter coats.
Electric / battery toys.
Electric rice cookers.
Electric coffee makers.
Neck ties.
Party dresses.

Because Og knows that what the Haitians desperately need is winter clothes. :rolleyes:

And to swing back to the OP: yes, it is "illegal" to import used clothes.

Last edited:
L

LarrySpencer

Pib said:
Neck ties.
Party dresses.
]QUOTE]

Hey, the Haitians want to look good too! yes, it is true that some strange things end up at the market, but remember that these items are ones that the Haitians are trying to sell to the Dominicans. The bettery operated toys, party dresses and ties are difinately not out of line, but I do agree on the snowboots and other winter apparal.

Next time you're in town, look me up...usually at the colegio Altagracia on Calle Duarte.

vlokje

May 13, 2004
Am I the only one who buys used clothes?Most of my clothes come from the guaguas.It´s an important market.