Computers and Such

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Hi All,

It's been a year and a half since I left the DR after living in Luperon for a year. I've returned back to the states and started a small web development business in OK (www.lswebsolutions.com). I've implemented 90% of my projects utilizing open source technology and would like to export the experience.

I miss the DR terribly and want to get back so I'm working the angles and need info from all you techies, and others, out there on the current state of the technology industry in the DR.

What is the state of the infrastructure? Can you find broadband access outside the larger cities yet? Are you seeing any wireless points of access implementations? Are you seeing any increases in Internet cafes? Are the larger hotels offering Internet access? What about the market for Computing Science professionals? What about consulting on setting up business systems and such (networks, web servers, mail servers, etc...)? Is the government supporting or developing these areas that you can see?

All input is welcome and I am very aware of how business is done in the DR, unfortunately.

Thanks again,

Steve L

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Did you ever visit Santo Domingo?
Have you seen the CyberPark?

Yes, broadband is spreading outside of the major cities.
Yes, many hotels offer internet access.
Yes, wireless access points are starting to pop-up.

You will find the answers to most of your questions on this board via the search function.

When you have very specific questions, come back and I'm sure one of us can help.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
specific question

Robert,

More specific:

If you were just getting to the DR and looking to start a technology oriented business what would it be and why?

What is the market like for individuals with skills such as Project Management, Oracle development, PL/SQL programming, PHP, Java, C++, UNIX, Network Admin? If I need to hire people with these skills do you feel they are there?
Which companies in the DR are hiring individuals with the above skills?

What technology development area do you feel the DR is most aggressive about pursuing? It appears communications but I don't know.

I just read about the CyberPark. When I was there it was in disrepair and was having problems. Good to hear they're making progress.

Steve L

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What would I do?

I don't think I would look at setting up anything technology based.
Unless it was something that could take advantage of the free zone laws here.
Outsourcing services (call center, support), manufacturing etc.

What I would look at and have posted about before on the board is an incubator. Build an environment to make it easier for small tech/web companies to work from the DR. Lots of people would love to work from the DR, but have a hard time cutting through the "culture" and how things work here.

I think that anyone that provides a stable and regulated environment for these types of small businesses to step into here, will do VERY well.

The market for your skills? Plenty of skilled people here willing to except low wages.
What do you bring to the table that's different?

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Thanks

Thanks Robert,

Wish I had a couple of thousand dollars, I'd come down and set it all up with you but I guess I'll be forced to continue my efforts to create a cash flow here which will hopefully enable me the ability to soon pursue my endeavors there.

Steve L