Winter Baseball

gus_zernial

Oct 31, 2005
Three of us baseball nuts are arriving Santo Domingo 11/28, leaving 12/4.
We want to see as much baseball as possible, and do a little touristing in
the remaining time. So far, we know there are six winter league teams, two
in Santo Domingo and the rest elsewhere, and we have a schedule of games.

What we don't know is which of the four baseball teams/locations outside Santo
Domingo is best to visit, where to stay in Santo Domingo and elsewhere, how to get
around (rent a car or other), and any other logistics. We've never been to DR before,
so we really don't know much of anything yet. We're not out to break the bank, but
we don't need to do this cheapest way either.

We would very much appreciate advice per above from those in the know about
the DR baseball scene (and other DR visitor attractions); pointers to information
links, and possibly even someone knowledgeable and willing to correspond
with us regards the trip.

Thanx!

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
It sounds like you guys are going to have a great time. I have only been to see baseball in San Pedro De Macoris, which is about an hour east of Santo Domingo, so if there are any games in San Pedro De Macoris, considering it's relative proximity to Santo Domingo, that would be a good place to see games. There is a site called www.drbaseball.org, which is really a charity that collects used baseball equipment and gives it away, but they do have some links in the links section of their site which might be helpful. They might even be helpful if you have additional questions about the baseball scene down there.

I would do what you can to avoid renting a car there, as the driving can be a bit hairy, especially in Santo Domingo, but once you're there a day or two you can make up your own minds on that, but I would avoid it if I could. Taxis to the baseball stadium in Santo Domingo would be pretty cheap from most hotels in the Colonial District. If you do go out to San Pedro, you would probably need a car, but then again you might want to ask at your hotel - it might be better for a group of you to all chip in and rent a car and driver for the day, who could drive you out there, and most hotels probably know of somebody that could do this for you. This will save you the hassel of renting a car and having to find parking, worrying about it, looking at maps, etc...

Where you want to stay depends on your budget and what types of accommodations you want. Decent small b&b type places in Santo Domingo can be had for as little as $25 a night, up to the new Hilton or the very very nice Sofitel, which, even though it is really beautiful and quite a nice place to stay, most rooms rent for about $150 per night, which for many travelers is not much money. So needless to say, what you mean by not wanting to break the bank might mean something else for somebody else! For cheaper accommodations that are safe and comfortable, try www.dona-elvira.com, www.condepenalba.com, www.accorhotels.com (for the Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando), www.condo-parque.ch.vu, all of which are in the Colonial District. Or do a search of the Hotels section on this site.

I hope some of this has been helpful, and have a great time!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
gus_zernial said:
Three of us baseball nuts are arriving Santo Domingo 11/28, leaving 12/4.
We want to see as much baseball as possible, and do a little touristing in
the remaining time. So far, we know there are six winter league teams, two
in Santo Domingo and the rest elsewhere, and we have a schedule of games.

What we don't know is which of the four baseball teams/locations outside Santo
Domingo is best to visit, where to stay in Santo Domingo and elsewhere, how to get
around (rent a car or other), and any other logistics. We've never been to DR before,
so we really don't know much of anything yet. We're not out to break the bank, but
we don't need to do this cheapest way either.

We would very much appreciate advice per above from those in the know about
the DR baseball scene (and other DR visitor attractions); pointers to information
links, and possibly even someone knowledgeable and willing to correspond
with us regards the trip.

Thanx!

There is a very good chance I will bi in santo domingo during that time and I love going to baseball games. I want to video tape some more basbeall related stuff as well. I have been to games in santo domingo, san pedro and santiago. I will try and see a game in La Romana this trip if possible, and maybe hit san francisci de macorix before the season is over.

What MLB teams are you guys fans of? I am a met fan and like seeing mets players play down in the DR. Aaron Heilman and Anderson Hernandez are both playing for Licey and Pedro is rumored to pitch a few games for them this winter as well. Victor diaz plays in santiago for las aguilas.

I would not suggest renting a car as driving down there could be nuts. With 3 guys splitting the costs a taxi is the way to go. You could get a mini bus that can drive you guys out to san pedro or la romana for the game and not have to worry about driving back in the dark after a bunch of partying at the games!

PM me if you need more help!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Just an observation

mlb2...have you noticed on the drbaseball.org web-page...under pictures right when you click on there, the picture that appears to the right of the page...which is the one with the picture of the ballfield...if you look closely to the sky there seems to be a facial image in the sky..looking down on the children..I just caught aquick glimpse of this by just browsing the page...what do you think!:classic:

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
rafael said:
What MLB teams are you guys fans of? I am a met fan and like seeing mets players play down in the DR. Aaron Heilman and Anderson Hernandez are both playing for Licey and Pedro is rumored to pitch a few games for them this winter as well. Victor diaz plays in santiago for las aguilas.

I was only able to go to one game last November when I was in San Francisco de Macor?s - the home team Gigantes vs. the Escogidos. The Mets Jose Reyes played for the Gigantes in that game, and they won BTW. :)

Lots of fun and the best seats in the house were only $9.

Swede

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I got to see Jose Reyes play in Santo Domingo when the gigantes were in town. The stadium was pretty empty so I sat behind the gigantes dugour. Jose had tripled and scored almost before I had sat down!

He has an electric smile that shows he loves playing the game. His face lit up with that trademark smile when he saw this big ole, pasty white, gringo with a ponytail wearing a black Mets t shirt with number 7 on it! Jose is not playing winter ball this year.

I took a bus to santiago to see vic diaz play with the aguilas last year, but he had the night off! Shot some video of the cutre cheerleaders and headed to a tipico after the game.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
daddy1,

No, I can't say that I see any face in the clouds in that one picture, but I'll keep looking! I think that I might be looking too hard, and need to try just glancing at it not trying to find it if I'm going to spot it!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Santiago - Hands down - especially if they are playing Licey.

And I would also not recommend renting a car but if you do take a taxi to the games - it is alot easier than manuevering the parking lots ad the traffic after a game - plus you can partake in the libations.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
This season will be great, Some player said that will play in this season as Pedro Martinez, Im not a baseball fanatic but I like to know what is happend, so if you have luck maybe you catch one of those games.